Has Bumblebee grown on you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matty, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    When the first live action movie hit theaters in 2007, Bumblebee was a cool character. He had a few toys on the shelves and I purchased the 76 and Concept Cameros.

When ROTF hit theaters, Bumblebee was still a cool character, but I was in the crowd of "arghhh! Another Bumblebee repaint?!" I skipped out on a majority of the Bumblebee figures with the exception of Human Alliance and Battle Blades.

When DOTM entered theaters and its toy line began to saturate the market we're still seeing all of the Bumblebee repaints/retools/new molds clog the shelves ... but I've found myself buying them all. Maybe it's the possibility of the live action movies coming to an end that has sparked this new found love for Movieverse Bumblebee, but I definitely have caught the bug. His character is no longer just cool, I enjoy every minute of screen time he has and he's become a favorite; it makes me want to capture all of his glory in toy form.

Has the Bumblebee toys grown on anybody else, or are you still against all of the Bumblebee repaints?

Feel free to share similar experiences!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Skids and Mudflap have grown on me. The excessive Bumblebee toys are just a necessary evil for me.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Not totally against it, but I do find it annoying to see Bumblebee in all shapes and sizes flooding the shelves. I'm a Prime collector, so yes I do understand what's happening to Bumblebee and I'm kinda sad to see the overcommercialization for the popular characters i.e. Iron Man, Spidey, Snake Eyes, which is why these days, I pick figures, and avoid getting everything. Hasbro's smart, they know there are collectors for these things, and they'd do anything to get our money :D 

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I don't really mind the Bee toys. They pay the bills for the better toys.
    And DOTM Bumblebee is kinda cute. (That may or may not be thanks to Opticron Primal's comic.)

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He hasn't grown on me. The opposite, actually. Back in 2007 he was a cool character and had a good toy. Now I'm just damn tired of all the toys of him and I don't care much for the character anymore.

6. badbot98

badbot98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well since bee killed my favorite con, soundwave, I kinda, a little bit hate him right now.

7. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since hasbro's been milking Bumblebee since he's the "Child friendly character"I've started to Hate him

8. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Well, originally. I was in there "Where the hell is Bumblebee? He is one of the most iconic Transformers!"

However, now. Now my friends, Bumblebee is just overused. Albeit i'm not a fan of the Movie-verse, but now his movie-verse persona is leaking onto anything else related to Bumblebee, and now he is going to be forever known as the transforming R2-D2 from hell.

It is strange, seeing as Bumblebee used to be one of my favourite characters in the franchise... but, now...

"RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!!!" is in effect...

9. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Not sure.They don't really annoy me that much . And I do find DOTM Bumblebee to be pretty cool,honestly.

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    ^^ This! Lol, I hate that the only thing he does now is make weird beeps. It's a good thing they didn't do a storyline in TFA where his his vocal capacitors get damaged, and I was half expecting that because of the success of the movie. But yeah, it's going to be really annoying if in future TF series, Bumblebee just makes beeps and the occassional meshed up radio/tv liners.

11. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

I don't mind him at all. Sure he's everywhere but I quietly managed to get 9 movie-verse Bumblebee's without even noticing. I love his Alt mode, I think he is a great character. Though I'm afraid we won't have a normal talking BB in future series for a few years...

12. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but no. Bumblebee was snarky and cool in Tf1. And at the end, he gains a voice. A promise of more character? Would have been, if the writers hadn't decided that he was better as Sam's bleep-blooping pet pokemon. Pardon the expression, but in later films he was just a vehicle to carry Sam into relevancy with the Transformers. He was there to kickass ass and sell cars. And he did both. But there is no 'who' in Bumblebee. There is an absence, an abyss, a black hole where his character should be. I feel more in tune with WHEELIE than Bumblebee.

Regarding his media presence, it almost feels like the saturation is designed to make me hate him. He's a posterboy. A black and yellow face on the flag that can be seen on every piece of merchandise available. And you know what else? Pikachu did it better. Yeah, I said that.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah. Got used to him having no voice also, it'll be awkward if he starts speaking at this point.

14. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

Yes. He may not talk normally for a while however I think it's stupid to hate a character for the sole reason that he gets so many toys. I'd like to see more non-bumblebee repaints of his molds, yes, but you know, I'm not going to hate a character for the sole reason that Hasbro KNOWS BB will sell and want to keep a steady return on some of the toys they make.

That said, Radio Clips > Beeps and boops.

15. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

That said. Talking is an ability too. He isn't Storm Shadow...

16. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm at the point where my brain doesn't even register the walls of yellow shelf warming the store aisles anymore. It's like a visual equivalent of blocking out white noise.

17. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i still cant believe they made him mute. i think it was stupid to do that.

18. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I must admit that at this point in time, Bumblebee is getting a bit boring. I wouldn't say no to newer molds or retools of the figure, but I'd definitely appreciate something different on the toy shelves.

As for the movie character himself, although he may not be as magical as he was in movie 1, he hasn't worn out his welcome in my book. I think the fact that he's mute makes him more tolerable, actually. I think a talking Bumblebee would bore me out pretty quickly.

19. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    He's grown on me, all right.

Like fungus.

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Don't you mean Snake Eyes?

Actually isn't it funny that right now, two of the Hasbro's biggest product lines feature two characters who can't speak?

Next thing you know this is gonna carry over to their other lines :p