Customs: Has anyone used Printapart?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Has anyoen used them yet?

I wanted to get some parts made by them, but I wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on the quality vs the price.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    link? I've never heard of 'em.

3. Boggs6ft7

http://www.printapart.com/

Someone on here had mentioned it once, but I didn't know if anyone had actually used it. Its kind of expensive.

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Ahhh it's a rapid-prototyping outfit! The technology is solid, especially if you do your own computer-modelling, but yeah its still really expensive.

I flirted with

http://toybuilders.com/

for a while (since they're semi-local to me), they're really gearing themselves towards serving the likes of us, being more than willing to work even from a rough sketch, etc. Still very expensive though.

D/L

5. Boggs6ft7

I have all the files already of something I have been building in AutoCAD and Solid Works, but I'm thinking it is going to cose me a lot no matter who I use.

6. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

It seems Printapart charges around $100 for a solid two-inch cube, but will only charge for material used. Toybuilders doesn't say on their site how much things are likely to cost as they work in all materials, not just plastic, but they do warn that things could get expensive for low-volume runs.

Rapidobject.com charges approximately $370 for the same cube as Printapart.

ETA: Shapeways is offering $245 per equivalent tw... suckers apparently don't like being milked.)

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I sent them an email asking for a a quote to mass-produce Devastator...wonder what they will say ;) 

8. Boggs6ft7

Makes me want to start a toy custom co-op where customizers would pay in to buy a machine and have unlimited access to parts, of course still paying for resin. Then people that want single parts built can place orders, reducing the operating costs to the "owners" of the machine. I think there are too many logisitics problems with it, but it would be nice.

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have thought about the same thing. Would be a hell of a start up cost and cause a lot of headaches to begin with. I have been practicing my casting skills with a pressure pot and am pretty up to speed and quality(Even have a great supplier not to far away that I just signed up for an account with) so if anyone ever does want to mass produce say a head or special piece or something I am all for it(they pay for materials obviously).

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    so if all Radicons collectively donate about 5k each, we can own our own machine-thingy, then there will be no stopping us. ;)  we can overthrow hasbro...

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Mua HA HA HA HA!!!...Oopps, did I do that out loud? :confused2 

12. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Geminii- you can't melt down old palstic for a medium for these machines. it's somehting entirely different and that could only POSSIBLY work with a injection molding machine. I know thats possible because at the lego convention last year i was talking to a guy who makes modern weapons for lego figs and he melts down actual lego pieces for material. pretty neat little set-up with a hand pressed injection molding machine.

Most rapid prototypers have a medium that is laid down and then either a glue or laser comes by and solidifies what you want. When you first pull your part out it's a cube around what you built (for small stuff) and then you brush/wash away the excess carrier material. i will be doing some parts soon for rapidprototyping that i will debut hopefully later this year for a project that is coming on year and a half in the making. i too have thought about getting one of those machines, and while they are still spendy, things get cheaper and technology gets better every day. At work we have parts made from a laser sintered nylon. it's the neatest thing making some snap clamps out of nylon that was built entirely in the computer.

13. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, as a long-time fabrication-dreamer as well, I'd DEFINITELY be willing to get in on the ground floor of a rapid-prototyping co-op.

Really might be something to consider...

D/L

14. Boggs6ft7

While I would be for it, I don't think there would be enough people to buy in to a nice machine, upwards of $20,000 US or more. Unless we leased one. Then everyone would just pay rent. I've never used these machines so I don't know what the turnaround on a part is, so even running at 24 hours, it would still need to be fast enough for all of us to get our parts and money out of the deal.

What I do think could be done is this: Those that were interested in using the machine work together on designing all their parts that they want and when everyone was ready, the machine could be leased for a month or two, make all of our parts, then return the machine. That way we get our parts done for cheaper than indvidually through the other vendors.

I'm not volunteering, just thinking out loud. The deal would have to be VERY transparent with everyone well informed of operating costs. I don't think anyone would be out to screw the rest of us over, BUT it would only take one person to ruin this for the rest of us.

15. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Sensible thoughts all around.

You're probably right though, its still too soon for the average hobbiest to be using this kind of technology on a casual basis.

A few more years though...

I'm just really impatient.

And I still need to learn some kind of CAD/Modelling software so I could ACTUALLY make use of this technology when it does become feasable :) 

Ahh to dream. And back to silicone-mold and resin-casting :) 

D/L

16. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I could see dropping 20K on a toy in maybe a couple of years' time (hey, people pay that for cars!), but for the moment we'd probably be better off with something like RepRap.

We might also want to look into the legalities of reproducing genuine Transformer panels/parts, especially for those toys still on the shelves. While I don't think Hasbro would crack down if someone duped parts for a one-off custom they built for themselves, they might take issue to mass replication and selling of stuff.

Although given that even the cheapest fabbed part is going to cost ten times what it does on the toy store shelves, I can't see there being a lot of demand for all but the smallest pieces.

Now what would be cool would be a 3D laser scanner built out of a laser pointer, a couple of cheap toy motors and light sensors, and some fabbed parts. For $50-100, you can place any part or mockup in the scanner and have it turned into a 3D file ready for replication!

17. Boggs6ft7

RepRap, while cool, will need a lot of improvement to get to the detail that I think most of us want.

Its just a matter of time before the nice machines are cheap enough for the average person to own. If I was going to make a living out of creating parts for people I would consider leasing one, but I'm busy enough with my real job.

I don't think Hasbro could say anything as long as we weren't using Hasbro parts. There are tons of aftermarket car parts manufacturers and I think this would be the same thing.

It would probably be cheaper to get the parts made once and then make castings. I tried that once already with the Thrust wings I made and it just wasn't going to be cost efficient for me compared to the quality of the reproduction. Maybe some day down the road I will get it good enough to sell, just not any time soon.

I still think the best way for those intersted in something like this is to build up a collection of stuff we would want to build and then either lease a machine or see if someone would cut us a bulk discount.

18. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Clue me in on this RepRap thing, it's the first I've heard of it.

And that's a great idea about the 3D-scanner, glad to know THAT technology is getting almost feasably cheap, kinda-sorta in the wrong direction for most of my projects, but I'm sure I could find all kinds of useful applications for one!

D/L

19. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I am super interested in this to say the least and have been doing some research. I have found that you can get a DIY kit for about $2400 which while it looks like a bunch of plastic it seems to definitely be able to make small parts relatively fast. The other option and the one I am really looking into buying is this $5000 Desktop Factory I can see so many possibilities with this that it would be invaluable to me both for the hobby and professionally.

For those of you still out of the loop on what the hell we are talking about(or at least me if this is not whet everyone is talking about lol) I found this video of watch thing being made

Edit* Here is the official site http://www.desktopfactory.com/, I have already registered with them for news and updates as it is not out yet.

20. Boggs6ft7

Desktop Factory is supposed to start shipping later this year and I'll believe it when I see it. It seems they have been working on this thing forever.

I'm more interested on the impact it will have on the other machines forcing them to build a smaller better versions themselves.