Customs: Has anyone taken apart Hero Megatron?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Methusalen, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Hello all,

After much waiting, I have finally acquired myself a nearly mint G2 Hero Megatron. This purple little bugger is in great shape, except for one problem... He has no air hose! The orange bellows is there, but the hose has been removed (probably cut) by a previous owner...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking about swapping out the broken hose with that from my RID Scourge (the stand-in I picked up for cheap to stand in until I found the G2), but the halves of both the cannon & air bellows appear to be GLUED together!

While there is a bit of hose peeking out the rear of the cannon, the hose from the bellows is cut/torn away even with the plastic housing, making it to where I wouldn't be able to 'heat shrink' anything around it (like I might be able to do with the cannon end)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts? Am I destined to have a Megatron who can't fire his missiles?

Attached Files:

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to crack it open, thats a recipe for disaster. You could heatshrink the one like you said, and i'd try to find a smaller bit of tubing you could put inside the cannon one, then heatshrink to the outside of that.

but really, it would be better for looks then function. that gimmick requires the hose and connection to be able to withstand a high and quick air pressure to work. in fact, it only seems to work well if you slam the bellows. :lol 

So, I'd maybe look into seeing if you could find a working bellows and cannon on a junker, then trying to fix what you have.
    :2c: 

R!

3. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

Check a hardware store for a length of rubber hosing. You'll need the diameter of the exterior as well as the lumen of the bit of hose you do have. See if you can take a needlenose plier and pull out the remaining hose in the bellows and wedge in the other. You might use some thin epoxy to secure and seal it.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The pack is superglued. I ended up modding my Destructicon Scourge's pack, and I had to pry it open to do so.

5. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I haven't decided if I'm going to give it a shot (displaying it as-is is fine by me), but I'm thinking of going (what I believe is) the least-invasive route...

I'll probably end up picking up a new length of hose, a little heat shrink, & something smaller (a small metal pipe?) to go inside the hose... I think that route would do the least amount of damage to the figure & still retain the functionality...

In the meantime, he's kickin' it up on my desk's shelf along with a few other figures, before moving over to the shelf w/ my other Megatrons...

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    With an X-Acto knive, you can carefully split the parts, swap the hose out, reglue, and you should be fine. Keep us posted on whatever you end up doing!