Has anyone quit smoking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Destroyer, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

I quit smoking today.I've been a couple hours without a smoke and it is driving me crazy.I know once I get past a couple of days I'll be fine.But does anyone have any advice that will help?I thought of one thing already.The less I spend on smokes the more toys I can get and the longer I will live for my family.But gum does not work.Any help would be great!
    Thanks in advance,Destroyer

2. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

I quit for around a year or so while my baby momma was pregnant. The only advice I can give is...try to wean yourself off gradual-like (though, if you've already stopped, it may be too late for that), and remember...no matter how bad you want one, you've already gone this long, right? If at all possible, try to enjoy the mild deliruim that comes from withdrawal. Avoid drinking (if that's something you do) for awhile as you break your cigarette addiction, because, hey, what goes better together?

The main thing...just stay strong. Remember, you don't want to smoke, you have reasons not to, and if you break down, you gotta start all over.

Also, good luck on this one, yo.

3. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Chew on some crushed ice.

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I quit back in 98. I weaned myself off of them. What really helped me, was that I hated being addicted. Smoking was no longer something I did, because I wanted to. It had become something I did, because I had to. I didn't like needing a cigarette. I used that to foster a feeling of resentment towards the cigarettes.

Also, for some reason, it seemed to be easier to not smoke when I had a pack still around. Not having any smokes around causes this weird psych out effect. Somehow it helps, if you know you can just grab one, if you really need it. At least, that's how it was for me.

5. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Stopped smoking but started dipping.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

exercise. when i've quit in the past i get tense, so every time i wanted a smoke i did some press ups or chin ups. make all that tension-energy go to good use.

7. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

That is one of the reasons I want to stop so bad.It is getting to the point of just wanting one.It is like I got to have it!That is a good idea.I already did the ice thing.It seems to help the edge as well.I'm going to try all of them.Lets see how long I can go.I hope it is for good.Thanks guys I'll keep you posted if I start again.No bets lol.

8. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

I'm trying Chantix. When I wake up this afternoon, it will be 7 days on the meds and time to quit. My co-workers has smoked over 40yrs and has stayed clean for 6wks with Chantix. Just as expensive as smoking, but you won't be on it forever. $105 at Costco pharmacy, $150 at other chains.

9. toymaker

toymaker Well-Known Member

quit cold turkey. still clean after 4 years

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i never smoked but my wife did. she quit cold turkey. she bought a pack of nicorette gum but she never actually used it, she just kept it in her purse and whenever she wanted a smoke she would look at it and it would remind her not to smoke. after like a week she didn't feel like smoking anymore and she had been smoking since she was a teenager.

11. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I stopped after chasing a dope dealer and he out run me. When I went to the police academy I could run a 1.5 mile in 13 minutes and thats pretty fast. I started to get slower and the worst time I had was 16 minutes. Now that I have been quite for about 3 years I can run the 1.5 in a little over 14 minutes.

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I quit after I started running. I was losing weight and knew smoking was holding me back, but I needed the habbit to keep me from eating :) 

After I dropped some weight I wanted to speed up my run so I quit.
    Everytime I wanted to smoke I thought of how big the set back was going to be.
    Now I'm running 3 mile in 25 mins : 2 miles in 16.30..
    Lost some weight gained some muscle life is good.

13. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    Thats some great times Aprim. Keep up the good work.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just have to say keeping smokes around when you are trying to quit is a very bad idea. Why would you want a constant temptation lying about? I know I couldn't handle that.

Another thing I've found that's good for that first day of quitting - set a date to quit, and then get massively hammered the night before. Smoke all you want that night, just make sure you'll have a raging hangover the next day, and also make sure your smokes are all gone so you aren't tempted. I don't know about you, but when I have a bad hangover, smoking makes me sick. When you have a whole day of that, it's like a free ticket to quitting and an easy start.

I'm cut back to the point where I only smoke when I drink, down from a pack a day. I'm starting to think it's not such a hot idea allowing myself any at all (sometimes I slip the day after drinking with leftover smokes), so I may cut out the drinking smokes as well.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  15. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I quit smoking years ago, cold turkey. The best advice I can give you is that it is all mental. You never NEED a smoke, something may be telling you that but it's the fact that you WANT to smoke.

I had picked it up again not too long ago due to stress, it was a nice distraction. And when I was ready to stop a few months later I was able to just say "I'm done" and walk away with 0 cravings.

As long as you can get into the right frame of mind, YOU can be in control. You have to honestly WANT to quit in the first place or it is never going to happen.

16. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I also quit smoking cold turkey as well about 8 years ago. I took up chewing regular gum whenever I had cravings.

I do take a drag once in a blue moon and still cannot understand why I took up the habit in the first place.

17. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I know Dark_Convoy kicked the tobacco habit. Keep going, you can do it.

18. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Try Lifesavers if chewing gum ain't your thing. They worked for me, unfortunately I started again after 6 months when I got bursitis in my shoulder. But anyway, whenever I wanted a smoke, I just popped a life saver in my mouth and it worked ok.

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I quit this january. I started by cutting down substantially last year than finally was able to give up the few a day I was smoking. I feel alot better. Now I just need to get in better shape.

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I quit in February.

Now I drink lot of coffee and put on some weight, but I haven't been tempted since.

I did this, too. I hang onto that packet of cigarettes for a month or so. When I threw it out (it was hard) I could finally say that I made it.

Good luck to all quitters :)