Customs: has anyone noticed...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Sep 14, 2010.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That the new figures are harder to disassemble than the last ones?? I just disassembled my BBBB That Savio Prime did mods to, which are effin SWEET by the way, and I found pop pin's in place of screws... Case in point 2 spots in each lower leg. The quarter panels which used to be held on with scres on the old uses of the mold, now have those flat head rivet type pins as is the main pin/rivet holding the 2 halves of the lower legs together.. Why the sudden change I wonder.. Alas, it has made me destroy the quarter panels and I now need to buy a new one :( , Ah well, I need a sale sign too, to add some details to this guy :D  This thing is gonna rock so hard.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think that pins are cheaper to deal with from Hasbro's end of things than screws can be. I'd assume it would have something to do with the production process as well.

I don't see it as a sign of Hasbro discouraging kitbashers, since kitbashing is supported by them, even from an official capacity (Botcon Art Contest, for example). Kitbashing really just means more sales for them.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Hmm, Hasbro's been through a lot of changes lately. First the new 'twist ties' that aren't plastic, and now pins.

I would have to say that yeah, there are more pins now, though i don't see that as any discouragement to Radicons or bashing. It just means that all of us may now bring out our...

...SLEDGEHAMMER!!! :lol 

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh no, I didn't think it was meant to discourage us as customizers. Maybe just their way of saying "HA! Get through THAT!" kind of giving us a challenge of sorts :) 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Nah, I don't perceive it as that either. I'd put my vote towards that it's not related to kitbashing.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    it depends on how the assembly line opperates i would think , from a quality control POV its much easier to have a machine that can put a pin in right evertime as opposed to one that installs scews with the possibility of stripping the head or other.

so my guess would be change in assembly process, but i do hate the pins a lot

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see your points SQ and Megs, I guess I just prefer screws is all. Ah well..

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh I do too! That's one reason I've always liked making customs with Alts/BTs. Other than a few points here and there, they're mainly all screwed in instead of pinned in.