Has anyone noticed that the TFs don't talk much in alt mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I've notcied this a lot in the movies. Personally I think it's kind of cool if they did this I mean, they did this a lot in the t.v series. Off the top of my head I can only remember Arcee/Sisters say something like "We're ready" at the beginning.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They aren't really shown interacting much in alt mode, compared to robot mode. When they're in alt mode, they're usually chasing or driving somewhere, and its often a sequence with no dialogue, whether that's intentional or not. The twins also talk during the opening chase, as does Sideswipe, no? The Decepticons talk in alt mode as well, in the first movie.

It's an interesting thing to notice though.

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Orci discussed this when he used to post here: Bay thinks it's goofy to hear them talk as cars. I think it's also fair to note the Decepticons, who are meant to be less sympathetic, are heard talking in alternate modes only in their sinister language.

4. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

It would be kind of hard to articulate that they were talking as well. Such as if there were multiple cars in one scene, it might be hard to tell who is talking without facial expression

5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Regardless, the robots should talk more often during alt mode, afterall they are not real cars or vehicles but robots in disguise, so it would be natural.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Well of course they don't. Cars don't have mouths, silly.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I think it's better that they don't.

1) It would be hard to really do well, and would come off kinda silly looking to me, especially if more than one is talking on-screen at a time.

2) They're meant to be robots in disguise, makes more sense for them to use their vehicle modes for hiding or transportation. May as well just have 'em talk in bot mode when it makes sense for them too.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    In another thread I suggested the Transformer talking in alt mode (at least a car) could have his headlights pulse lightly when he's talking...like a light corresponding to the made sound.

Of course, that could still be goofy. :p 

9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Could make 'em like those talking cars in the Chevron commercials.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    well, when their lips are pressed against their tailpipe, do ya really want them to say anything?!

11. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Hence why the Twins were the only ones to do this.

Arcee did too, but not really for the same reasons. I don't know why they couldn't just use their radios, considering most of the Autobots have an alternate mode that has one.
    Even just conversing once or twice in Cybertronian through whatever "intercom" they use could be cool. I always assumed the Decepticons had something similar to a radio channel when they talk to each other in Cybertronian (if you watch Soundwave's dialogue, and the Decepticon roll call in TF1, this makes more sense).

12. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Conincidently, Michael Bay looks goofy when he's talking... >V>

Anywho, from the films point of view the chase scenes where bots (and cons) are usually in vehicle mode, everything always seems sorta be rushed. I would've liked to see more interaction with the vehicles to kinda potray the Autobot character within.

On topic, the two films kinda themed long distance road trips devoid of conversations.

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I never understood why they didn't do it purely from a cost-saving point of view - I mean, shooting real world cars and having them talk (for example, to the person riding in them) would save more money than a CGI conversation.

For example, Ironhide could have had a line or two at the beginning of ROTF right before he transforms (when he arrives in Shanghai). Optimus could have thrown out a "HANG ON!" right before the forest fight. Little bits of dialogue would go a long way.

And if the reason this feature has been kept out is because it would look too "goofy", that argument was completely thrown out the fucking window once they put the Twins in ROTF.

14. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I noticed that whenever we hear them talk in alt mode, it seems to be over a radio or something. I just assumed it was kind of robot-to-robot communication was't really audible outside of the car.

Plus we all know that Prime has ''eyebrows" as a truck!

15. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Lol Next thing you know someone will want him to have eyes on the windshield and a mouth on the grill like in CARS.

16. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    It works preety well, yes. Arcee may have been an exception because of holograms. And the Twins, well they're Bay's favourite Transformers, need I say more.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay thinks vehicle mode talk is goofy, the twins are goofy, therefore he makes twins talk in vehicle mode.

Fitting, isn't it?

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd prefer they not speak during alt. modes (other than the random squeals made my the Decepticons in alt. mode). I thought it was silly as a little kid watching G1; it sounds just as silly to picture it in the film unless the hologram driver is present.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While I agree that it could be over done and if it was done in scenes where there were a lot of robots in the frame at once a bit more would be nice. I guess one of the other problems is the robot we see in car mode the most is Bumblebee and well he's still got voice issues.

Still in some of the slower parts of the film it might be nice to say have Epps talking to Ironhide without Ironhide having to transform just for the conversation. Wouldn't have to be a long conversation but it would add a bit more character without having to dip into the already taxed special effects budget.

20. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Transformers need more dialogue overall.