Has anyone made international Moneygram cash transfers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Algernon, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    So I was commissioned to do some art for a guy in the UK. I'm in the US. I don't use Paypal. He wants to pay through this:

Post Office® | Finance | Payments | MoneyGram®

Anyone used this service? I can pick this up at a US Post Office, correct?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. azdragon58

azdragon58 Well-Known Member

If you have any concerns about this type of transaction you should just contact MoneyGram, 1-800-MONEYGRAM, they can answer all your questions... If this is just like regular MoneyGram wiretransfers you can pick the money up at a lot more places then the post office... Only problem is some places cant pay out large amounts of money so they would have to give you a money order... Also, some states have a certain limit on the money you can receive... Your best bet is to contact MoneyGram and get all the info you need... You can find out all the places you can receive the money in your state, any limits on how much you can receive...

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I understand the frustration, but I'd also suggest getting Paypal. I know it's not great, but it's by far the best means of transferring money internationally. Do not, under ANY circumstance, trust your bank when they say that your money is protected internationally, because it simply is not. I made that mistake twice now, thinking bank transfers were legit, when they were not. I get that Paypal takes a percentage of money from transactions, but it is almost 100% reliable when it comes to getting your money back if something goes wrong.

4. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Thanks for your replies! I've been looking into it, might call the 800 line to be sure on my info. Looks like it'd work fine for me.

VictoryLeo: Yeah, the only thing about Paypal is that I'd have to set up a separate bank account for it. I just don't feel good about linking it to my main one. I probably will set up a second account for it in the near future.