Has anyone here seen the original STAR WARS & JAWS In theaters?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jazzbot180, May 25, 2012.

1. jazzbot180

jazzbot180 Dino-Bot

Has anyone here seen JAWS & STAR WARS In the movies back In 75 & 77? If so, what was it like?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I saw Star Wars in the theater. It was freaking amazing. I saw it 12 times in its initial run. Probably another 10 times when they re-released it the following year. At least 2-5 more times each time they brought it back to theaters.

Because there was no home video back then. Even VHS wasn't around yet. You had the theater, and then during the year between theatrical engagements, you had your memories. That was it. So any time it came back to theaters, you went to see it to strengthen your memories of it for the long drought that would follow.

But I was too young for Jaws in the theater.

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw both in theatres when I was a kid. There was no stereo sound and DLP projection back then. You would hear static and pop sound within the film.

I remember when both "Midway" and "Earthquake" was playing in the theatres, both movies had surround sound with two large speakers in the back and the whole threatre would vibrate.

4. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I saw the 10th anniversary of SW in theaters.

5. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I saw the '97 special edition releases of The Original Star Wars Trilogy in theaters, but I've never seen the original cuts on the big screen.

I've also never seen Jaws on the big screen.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sadly No, Though my mom did see Jaws when it came out. It was scary for her because she lived in New Brunswick which is pretty much in the Ocean.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I was too young to see Star Wars in the cinema the first time around. I remember seeing Return of the Jedi on VHS sometime in the late 80s at the school film club. I did go and watch all the Special Editions at the cinema though.
    Jaws I first saw on telly.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I saw the sequels, empire in a rerun and Jedi when it came out.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This goes for me as well. I was only like 5 back in 1977 so it understandable I suppose.

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I saw both as a kid. Pretty sweet flix.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No, Special Editions in... '97? was the closest I got. :( 

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I remember seeing Star Wars....and it was awesome.

I don't think I saw Jaws,but I do remember seeing Orca,The Killer Whale at the old drive-in theater.Good times............

13. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

I wasn't even born yet when either of these movies came out initially. But, I did eventually get to see them in the theater. Thank you for re-releases.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The first movie I remember that on was Battlestar Galactica. I remember when it started and the bass kicked in and the seats started vibrating and I was thinking, "Holy crap, WTF is happening?!"

That was a real before/after moment in movie watching for me. Now, when a movie's sound isn't working right and coming out of all speakers front and back the way it should, I will walk out and get a refund. It happened with Iron Man. The dialogue was coming out of the front speakers, but the sound effects and music weren't coming out of the rear speakers at all. Got a refund, and didn't end up watching the rest of the movie until dvd.

15. jazzbot180

jazzbot180 Dino-Bot

When was JAWS re-released? And how many times was Star Wars re-released??

16. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never saw them in theators but I was told people were scared to swim for months after the first jaws release

17. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

In '77 I was 5 and was into Batman and Superfriends. I was practicly dragged to see some stupid space movie, Star Wars. After seeing it I thought of little else. It's funny though I don't really recall the actual experience...... I remember going in, coming out..... and everything that happened in the film.... but I don't remember actually sitting there and watching it.

I was to young to catch the original release of Jaws, but I do remember wanting to see it. I don't even know how I knew about Jaws, but it eventually aired on HBO and I watched it all the time. What bugs me, I use to think Jaws 2 was just as good..... in fact I liked it more because it focused on teenagers a bit, and I looked up to teenagers. It is my shame. :( 

18. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    Saw Star Wars back in the day in one of the old grand movie theaters. The line went down the block and around the corner. I just remember all the hype coming after the movie came out. It's not like today, back then it seemed to take some time for word to spread then movies like that got really big.

Jaws, I remember my mother took my sister and I for doing some cleaning up around the house. I remember more of the movie itself than the surroundings. Just seemed like an average movie crowd, nothing special and lots of screaming. I do remember my mother nearly jumping through the ceiling when the dudes body came out of the hole in his boat.

In a time where I didn't get to see many popular movies that other kids always talked about, those were 2 of them that I actually did get to see.

19. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

I've seen all three of the Star Wars films on thier original runs in theaters. Never saw the prequels until they came on cable.
    I can't remember much except I really liked R2D2 and C3PO (I was 7).

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's similar to how it was for me, too. My early childhood was a series of obsessions, with each one completely replacing the last... Dinosaurs got replaced by Super-heroes got replaced by the Six Million Dollar Man got replaced by Ultraman and Giant Robot...and then BAM -- Star Wars. And for years afterward, Star Wars was pretty much all that existed for me. From about ages 7-12, Star Wars was it.

I don't know. But it seemed to come out again nearly every year until home video finally took off and Star Wars eventually came to VHS.

I remember one year the local theater played a double bill of New Hope and Wrath of Khan. Me and a friend of mine watched Star Wars, stayed for Star Trek, then sat through Star Wars a second time all in one sitting.