Has anyone here made a conscious decision not to have children?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkvander, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    After seeing how the world has deteriorated over the past 10+ years i seriously doubt i will.

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's absolutely no way I'll ever have children, since I'm asexual and find the whole 'reproduction' thing disgusting. I'm also aromantic and don't date or get into relationships, which rules out the possibility of stepkids as well. Granted, I don't know if that counts as 'conscious decision' exactly, since it has a lot to do with my orientation.

I don't have anything specific against children in general, though (just the process by which they're made). Hell, they're sort of cute up until they reach the age when they start talking a lot and get too lippy. I just prefer them as an abstract concept that I don't interact with, beyond donating money to childrens' charities.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  3. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Too young to make a definitive decision.

Though if this is the direction life does take me, so be it.

4. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kids are not for everyone. I respect that, but you have absolutely no idea what it's like to have kids unless you have your own.

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Also, obligatory:

[​IMG]

6. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I agree. Like the TC, I thought that way when I was younger but now I think otherwise. Most of the girls in my life are liars. So it would be hard for me to trust women in long-term relationships. I got out of one not too long ago and I am going to be 30 soon and feel like I'm too old to do all this marrying crap and have kids anymore. Let's say I get things done better alone.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    My wife and I have put off having children for a while but have decided recently that if it happens, it happens.

There's still lots of things we'd like to do before having kids but opportunities will come.

In the past though, whenever we thought about having kids we'd just have my nephew and nieces stay with us and then we're good for another year of having no kids. :lol 

8. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

I know exactly how you feel. I always I assumed I would have children someday. I'm almost 28 and my wife is 26, and about a year or so ago we had a discussion about it. I always assumed she wanted children and was fine with that, so I always assumed we would. It turned out that she thought the same thing; that I wanted children so it was just assumed we would have them. So we decided that we could go either way, and for the time being we just wouldn't worry about it; we would have them when we felt it was right, or not at all. A little time passed and I started to really like the idea of not having children; for many reasons both selfish and un-selfish that I won't go into. I was in the midst of starting to plan some major trips to Europe when my wife realized she was probably pregnant. It was a little bit of a blow, because I was just getting into this mindset that we wouldn't have kids, but it's not like I didn't think it was a possibility for my life.

Bottom line, if you both decide you don't want to have kids, don't. There's nothing wrong with not wanting children, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise, or try to guilt you. I'm sure parenthood is a very fulfilling experience, and that having your own kids is great, but it's not for everyone. You can always do what we did: just make a conscious decision to not have children until you both feel you really want to and that you're ready, if that ever happens. It will obviously be up to you when you want to decide that it's not ever going to happen, and then decide if you want the optional surgery. Of course, accidents can happen before that time. :wink: 

9. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no kids for me.

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    My wife and I decided a couple years ago that we do not want children. We have nieces and nephews and, as we say, "we can borrow a kid anytime we want". There are many factors involved in our decision, one of them being, I personally dont think I could handle being responsible for a child day-in and day-out. Maybe it's being selfish but we are happy with our life together.

My best friend and his wife feel the same way. Actually after we told them we decided we werent going to have kids, they told us about how they were leaning the same way and they felt alot better knowing someone else felt the way they did.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's awesome. I literally have heard every one of those comments.
    :) 

12. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    It either happens or it don't....but I will say this, when you are 77 yr old, who gonna help you? Who gonna get you to the dr,? Who gonna pay ya property taxes?

You will be in a nursey home, alone with nobody visiting you......

13. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I could have gone either way, but my wife talked me into it. She's going to be such an awesome mom. And it'll be fun.

14. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I will have conquered the Earth long before that, so I'll be okay.

15. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a son that I love very much, but I think not having a child is a better idea than having one

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    My wife and I agreed that in the event that we do have kids, we'll go no further than two.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think people who have too many kids are kind of disgusting....we have one and that's it. two would be okay, but after two...I'd blow my brains out.

18. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    There are too many people, I agree. I'm pretty sure it's a good enough reason not to have six kids though.

I live in Lehi, Utah. Fucking weird if ya don't have a couple hundred kids (thank goodness my parents didn't have THAT many Dran0ns).

Besides, children are obnoxious. I'm going to adopt a 25 year old who owns an apartment.

Ultimately, too young to make a definite decision.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I'm sure my dad would pressure us to have more kids if none of them are sons but he can want in one hand ...

20. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I actually just broke up with my gf of 3 years because of this subject. I'm about to turn 28, and she's 25. She kept bringing up the need to have my kids, and how much she wanted it. I have no intention of having kids, at least not for another 5 or so years. I made this very clear to her, but she actually gave me an ultimatum in regards to this. She told me if i didn't change my mind by June she'd have to leave me. That was a month ago. This was only one of the reasons for me breaking it off.