Heavy/Scratch: Has anyone here ever built a transformer from scratch ? What would i need ?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Vincymon, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

First off before anyone says I'm zombying a previous thread.....there are people here who hold G1 as the golden standard, and if a more screen accurate version of those characters is released today.....they will go ahead and buy it.
    That being said.... much like the g1 die hard fans idolize the g1 figures.....the 2007 designs from the first movie hold a special place for me. Especially the design of megatron...which i always felt the toys never quite captured.

I know when the first movie came out Radicons was filled with customs and repaints of the 2007 megatron...and I enjoyed every single one of these threads
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also recognize that once the new movies came out....that people would be focussing on the newer megatron designs and forget this one.

But I have always wanted to try a hand at this megatron.

I have always had the idea that...since he does not transform into a recognizable vehicle, there must be a way to engineer this to hide his face and legs better.

My idea has always been this....
    1) make the legs transform into the giant back spoiler in a fashion similar to the transformation of the animated leader megatron. the legs would come together, rotate at the knees and form the back spoiler, or engine or whatever it is that's at the back of the jetmode...that way you can eliminated the back kibble in robot mode and the leg kibble from jet mode.
    [​IMG]

(2) make the chest cavity somehow collapsable and hollow so that the wings fit snugly in the back when transformed.

I've tried this already years ago...it was made of cardboard... and for the most part it worked... although very fragile given what it was made off.

but i'd like to actually give this a go using...more sturdy materials...but I have no idea how to start or how much it would cost

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

It all depends on materials and if your doing all the work. Remember that the first prototype would be the one that be a little difficult and cost the most.

4. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    You can check out my classics Shockwave thread.
    I am building Shockwave from scratch using my own designs and 3d printing.
    I’d say that if you’re able to 3d print, that’s as close to a ‘real’ version of a figure you’ll get without getting into casting.

EDIT. Scratch built using styrene, etc, as described below is also totally legit and I didn't mean to sound like I was discounting that approach at all. Doing it that way requires an amazing skill level that I honestly don't have....that's why I went the way of design and print. I find it much easier.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  5. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD All are dead, yes?

6. erwinsims

erwinsims Well-Known Member

I am curently scratchbuilding (kinda) a Ratchet..
    This might be an idea:
    Get a junker megatron and start from there, maybe a voyager or a leader from 2007/2009? and customize those parts with parts from junkers?

Just mix and match and figure out where to go from there.

For instance, I am using Styrene, A junker HFTD Ratchet and a Junker Bumblebee to make a properly scaled (1:39) SS Ratchet.. My tread might be just under or above yours, check it out for ideas!
    With a megs junker and some styrene you will be able to make him as acurate as you want him to be.

Good luck!

7. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus Fan / Customizer / Designer / Fabricator

This thread needs to be moved.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice.