Has anyone given up on the toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bradforj, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wondering, because I had the same problem until I started fully transfomring the chest. Are you doing that? A lot of people mistransform him (the Hasbro instructions don't really help solve that problem lol), where they don't pull out the middle of the hood, so his headwill come out on its own via spring, and sit between his shoulders, more show like.

Back on topic...I hadn't given up on the line and it paid off recently. I couldn't find any Vehicons FOREVER, since they were first announced to be spotted and just the other day, I started comic across them like wildfire. My squad is up to three now, and it was well worth the wait. If you don't mind me asking, what particulary are you 'paying out the butt for' or would have to?

I've bought a few figures online, but only when I felt they were worth it (see: Am-12 Breakdown).

2. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I've given up completely. Nothing in the current line up of FoC and Prime figures interest me. I do have quite a few Classics and Animated figures and most every Masterpiece figure released in the US so far. If Hasbro sees fit to release some new, or re-release some old, Beast Wars/Beast Machine figures, I'd happily scoop them up. Otherwise it's only US-Masterpiece for now.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've given up on Prime for the most part. There's still a few figures I might buy in the Voyager class, but the Deluxes are so hollow, figuratively and literally, that they aren't worth the money anymore.

FoC is pretty hit and miss, but I like the characters enough to take a chance on the line.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I gave up when all I could find in stores are First Edition and RID Bumblebee.

5. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

I've been buying the cyberverse figures, which are ace, but I've generally been off the deluded this time around.

Edit. Lol autocorrect

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Wow, I found Knock Out to be an amazing figure, definitely one of my favourite Prime deluxe and I don't find any of the FOC figures to be lacking in anything for gimmicks. Hell, they don't even have gimmicks! Prime, Jazz and Shockwave are gimmick-free and it looks like the upcoming FOCs continue the trend.
    Yes they're smaller, but I think people just complain for the sake of complaining. The size is something of an issue, but it isn't figure breaking. Is the lack of Decepticon insignas really that big a deal? Vehicon, and Airachnid both have them, even Deadend does. The only guys missing one is Knockout and Soundwave and I don't mind that at all, it doesn't make them worse in any way. Plus some figures coming out are amazing; FOC Shockwave, Prime Vehicon, Prime Megatron, AM Breakdown... Even mediocre figure Prime Bumblebee was made amazing as Hot Shot. The only real duds are Airachnid (who is terrible) and Prime Cliffjumper (who is dodgy).

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not exactly "giving up", but I barely seem to care about the PRID line anymore. With Canada not getting ANY of the deluxes past wave 1, the shitty weapons that come with the voyagers, and all the random non-show characters while the ones actually from the show are only in the Takara line, I just can't care.

8. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    I guess I kinda gave up during the DOTM line...I wasn't all interested in them besides the Wreckers as well as Que, and when Hasbro announced the final wave would not be hitting retail I had a rage fit, but theres no need to fear! First Editions were here! I love the Prime show, and I never had a chance to complete a full on main cast of autobots from a TV show or movie...and when they got canceled I also had a rage fit! I'm excited that they are bringing them back, but I don't feel the need to go and waste gas, and hunt for first editions toys at Toys-R-Us...And I still can't even complete my Autobot main cast from prime, because Smokescreen might not even make it to the states, and though I'm glad I snagged a 1st edition Bumblebee on BBTS for 10bucks, I still think him and, Cliffjumper should be included in this re-release if, Hasbro can distribute the products right I think it can go fairly well just don't over stock on Bumblebee.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Excluding the Voyagers (Grimlock, Soundwave repaints), the FOC deluxes don't handle proportions nearly as well as the older WFC figures did. Jazz's legs are WAY to thin and blocky when compared to his in game model, or hell even the old WfC Bumblebee mold, and the latter shows how cheap the Jazz mold is because while they share a common trait; wheels folded inside the feet. The Bumblebee mold doesn't need to cheat while Jazz's mold does so and even then it doesn't do that good a job at hiding the real wheels under the armpits anyway.

Vehicon is damn near impossible to find for most people who don't order online, Airachnid is such a PoS that the fact she has molded insignias is just insult to injury, and Dead End isn't even in the show.

I notice you didn't mention the fact that EVERY SINGLE AUTOBOT FROM THE SHOW is ALSO missing the insignia in Deluxe class. Hell, even the FE's managed to screw this up in that their insignias tend to be so small as hardly noticeable.

That, and while the lack of insignias doesn't hurt the figures, it shows how cheap they were made because it wouldn't take more than three drops of paint to give Soundwave his insignias (mounted on his wing shoulders), and Knock Out especially because his face ISN'T silver, it's WHITE.

"Coming out"? They're ALREADY out. And funny how you totally don't mention the voyager class beyond Megatron (AM Breakdown doesn't count because he's not seeing a Hasbro release).

10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Yeah, awkward. I was writing the sentence and then changed it and I'm a dumbass and didn't edit properly. Dreadwing, Skyquake, Ultra Magnus and Thundertron are all amazing voyagers coming out.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    With Prime, I'm really only going for show character completion (although I'll get Ultra Magnus and Thundertron), so I'm not having too hard of a time with it. I had to import Breakdown, Unicron, and Jet Vehicon, and the only ones that are out right now that I still need to get are Dreadwing, and... airachnid. I don't know if I can pull the trigger on that one. Now I'm just hoping that Smokescreen will be released in the US, and be good despite being a Knockout remold. I have no idea how they expect that to work, given his door wings. I'm hoping it's a hell of an extensive re-shell like Jet Vehicon is, with completely new arms.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    1. I think Ultra Magnus is supposed to show up in the series at some point, at least from what I heard.

2. Looking at his design, I'm thinking it might be false kibble they'll use (I.E. PRID Cliffjumper's split roof chest) where the "doors" are actually part of the floorboard or something and attached to the pivots the front wheels are on. The actual doors fold into his arms like usual.

3. You could probably just get an Animated Blackarachnia repainted and nobody would know the difference. It's not like she used that helicopter mode more than once anyway.

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Wasn't AM Smokescreen (the knockout redeco) renamed Wildrider recently? I don't think it was supposed to represent show Smokescreen.

14. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I'm of a different view because I just started getting back into collecting. In fact the first transformer I bought since the first line of Beast Wars was Cyberverse Prime Megatron. Didn't even know about the show, was just in Toys R Us browsing around and saw the Prime figures. My first thought - "oh my god what the fuck did they do to poor beloved starscream?"

Then I thought the megatron was pretty cool so I bought it. Didn't buy anything else until I saw pics of MP Thundercracker. From there I fell in live with the Prime Cyberverse figures. That branched out to some deluxes in the line and now I plan to mostly complete the line because the designs really grew on me... Even starscream.

I tried some generations toys and to be honest... I'm not a huge fan. Bought a Kup, returned him. Bought a sky shadow, meh. I like Springer. Thought I really wanted Warpath, returned it. I don't want to get into collecting it because A) I don't have the room or space for a whole other line of toys and B) The designs are actually a bit blocky for me. Something about them just isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me. Even the seekers, which I have always loved. I was going to buy Thundercracker and after looking at pics for a while decided against it.

So for me it's Prime and MP figures. I'll get back into some G1, and I want to get the animated seekers eventually as well.

So no, definitely haven't given up on the toys. Though I probably should just for the sake of prudence.

15. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I'd love to give up on collecting.

But, there's just one problem with that.

I can't! I love Plasti-Crack too much and can't stop buying it.

16. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To address the insignia problem, it did bother me at first, but not by much because certain characters dont have them on their show model, Breakdown and Knock Out specifically. Bumblebee also does't have a visible insignia on him in either mode, so it doesn't bother me when the toy follows the show in that regard...it does irk me that they left out Soundwave's shoulder ones and FE Bulkhead's forearms and Wheeljack's chest, etc, but that's what Reprolabels are for.

17. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I don't think so. According to my BBTS preorder, AM-26 Smokescreen is Product #TAK11501 while AM-32 Stunticon Wildrider is Product #TAK11559, so they're two completely different figures/items. It's surmised that Smokescreen will be a remolded Knock Out, while Stunticon Wildrider is anyone's guess what mold he'll use or what his deco will even look like (personally, I think he may be TT's answer to Hasbro's RiD Dead End).

18. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I haven't given up on the Prime toys, but then, I never wanted to collect them all anyway. I just get what I like. Honestly, why would you want to complete an entire line when you're not going to like the whole thing anyway? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there's still 3rd party, mps, g1, and reissues to keep me going, so no stopping here.

i've taken breaks from the last two movie lines, was going to get the prime and foc lines, but getting to the point that quality > quantity, and i'm not wasting my money on them.

20. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I realized that I could not afford to be a completionist and when I realized that, I was happier. I also realized that trying to complete a whole line sometimes means getting figures you really dont like and Im happy not having to do that either