Has anyone ever had a bat (or other wild animal) encounter in the home?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

So, I had a small brown bat get into my apartment lastnight. Not sure how. It must've been hanging around my front door to feed on bugs and when I returned from my evening walk, it managed to sneak in.

I was in my room when I heard a sudden chirp and squeak sound. I opened the door and noticed it flying around my living room. I have 2 cats that were kind of chasing after it, but I think they were a little spooked since they're indoor cats and not used to seeing other animals.

It just flew around in a counter-clockwise motion. I didn't chase after it. I just waited until the path was clear and ran downstairs to open my front door. After 5 minutes, the bat eventually flew out.

I checked my apartment not long after. The window screens are intact. I don't have any exposed vents or holes/openings for a bat to fit through. I'm not sure if there's a colony of them in my complex or not. I'm going to call my landlord to see if there have been any complaints from other residents.

I don't think my cats were bitten, but I can't say for sure. In fact, I don't know how long it could've been in my apartment. I noticed it about an hour after I got home. My cats tried swatting at it from time to time, but I'm concerned for them since it could've been rabid. According to the vet I spoke to over the phone, they should still be okay since their vaccine (which I got last September) is good through next month, but they're going to need a new one soon. I made an appointment to re-up their vaccine on Saturday, which will be good for 3 years.

My cats seem fine. They were eating and behaving like normal and I haven't noticed anything indicative of an actual fight with the bat. But still, I want to make sure they're up on their shots.

Anyway, has anyone with kids and/or pets had a bat or other wild animal encounter? If so, share your stories.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

baby fox came in to our house

3. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    A cat bolted into my house as I opened the door once.

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    My professor in class last night told me he had a bat in his bedroom on monday. He opened the screen window to let it out and he couldn't get it out. He killed it not intending too. Animal Control came for it and they found it has rabies. He went to the physician office last night to get checked out.

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My husky was attacked by a raccoon once in our garage. It hopped on her back like it was mounting a horse, and started gnawing on her ears and scratching her face. My wife's maternal instincts must have kicked in because within seconds she grabbed a shovel off the wall and took a left handed swing, connecting perfecting with the raccoon. It landed about 12 feet away, and never came back.

6. Satomiblood

Yea, if it was in my bedroom, I probably would've made a doc's appointment, but the closest the bat ever got was no more than 5 feet, give or take. I made sure to keep my distance. I think if it had come within a foot of me, I would've made an appointment.

7. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

The closest I had are opossums coming into my backyard about every four months, of course they don't leave my yard alive.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    He explained to the class that it was one o'clock in the morning and he was asleep. He has no idea how it got into the house.

9. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

a bat flw out of a hole in a house i used to live in flw right out the door:lol 

10. Satomiblood

I did call my doc to see if he thought a vaccine for myself was necessary and he said that I'd only need to worry if it actually got on me. My animals were much closer to it than I was.

11. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    We have bats in our attic...they've fortunately never flown into the house though, although one time a Pigeon did fall down the chimney, that sure was fun trying to get it out, eventually we decided to ignore it and let it fly out on its own

12. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

At our holiday home in Orlando, there was a bee's nest in one of the rooms, and a load of spiders in the garage

13. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I'm really surprised no one has made the "old bat" remark about the wife, mother-in-law, or other family member yet

I had a squirrel try to run in my house one time but I closed the door real quick and it smacked right into it.....funniest thing I had ever seen.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Actually the teeth of little brown bats are barely long enough to measure from the ridge of your thumbprint to the trough. Your cats would have only gotten rabies if THEY had bitten the bat, which would have resulted in severe injury to the bat if not death. I rescued a few when I was in an apartment building that had a very welcome resident population that kept the mosquitos WAY down during the summer. I would stand out in the breezeway and watch them just barely miss me by inches. They don't get tangled in hair (and I have long hair!) or hit people unless the person is flinging around unpredictably like an idiot.

It probably was just flying and blew past you when you opened the door, and then found itself in an environment that confused it until you showed it the way out. No danger to your cats unless your cats would have caught it...and there's no way the bat would have picked let alone won a fight. They're just too delicate.

--Moony

15. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Not necessarily in the home, but one time I ran over Sasquatch on the road, does that count?

16. vatarian

vatarian snide spider

My cats kill, and eat bats on a regular basis.

17. robodog

robodog Fur, Fangs and Steel

We had a huge rat get into the house once. The thing jumped at our cocker spaniel and she swatted it away with her paw so hard the thing's back snapped. My dad picked it up by the tail and tossed it outside. Looking back it probably would have been better if he'd put it out of it's misery rather than just leave it to die in pain with a broken back. I kind of feel sorry for it now.

Also I used to live with a four foot long iguana but she wasn't a wild animal she was my pet. She used to sleep at the foot of my bed at night. That is when I didn't wake up and find her sleeping on my chest.

18. Satomiblood

Thanks for the post. There was a moment where the bat suddenly plopped on the floor (probably due to exhaustion), but it was back in the air within 3 seconds. I doubt my cats actually landed a bite or a claw on it.

19. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

I'm from New England and my aunt and uncle have this camp on Moosehead Lake up in Maine. One 4th of July weekend my wife, daughter and I ventured up there from Boston to visit, bbq, see family that was in town, etc., etc. Anyhow, as you might imagine, it's pretty remote country (like watch out for bear, moose, deer, and so on remote) and, after a long journey and day's worth of camp activities we were getting ready to retire for the night. In our cabin room, my 4 y.o. daughter was asleep on an air mattress and my wife and I settling in on the nearby adjacent bed. Shortly after falling asleep I was suddenly stirred out of my slumber by this rustling in the window directly above our heads. The shades, oddly enough, were moving and I could hear this whining outside of our window. When I looked it was a baby bat crawling down the blinds towards the bed. I was :eek: . Needless to say, I jumped up to try and grab something to hit it with, but before I could it squeezed through the blinds, past the open window and onto the screen. As I pulled the blinds back to look, I ended up shutting the window and coincidentally trapping the bat between the window and screen. I noticed another bat circling around in a frenzy outside, I believe calling to the baby inside. The baby then managed to squirm through the smallest sliver of space between the window/screen panels and break away to freedom. Rather amazing if you ask me! Thankfully my daughter didn't wake up during the melee otherwise she'd have been pretty freaked out. So yeah, that's my wild encounter.

20. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Bats entered my old house before.

Nothing else, that god.