has Anyone Ever Gotten To Know A Toy Department Worker Because Of Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jan 5, 2009.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Inspired by the "Ripping open boxes on a pallet thread". Has anyone here become such a regular at their favorite stores that you've ended up getting to know a toy department worker?

This happened to me a my local Super Wal-mart. I am now on a first name basis with a toy department worker. This person helps me find whatever I need and lets me know when resets are supposed to happen and when new Transformers are due to come in.

The worker also lets me know how much of a certain line has been stocked recently and offers to put what I need aside for me later. This happened with MP Starscream and the recent wave of Universe Deluxes.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else on here? What happened? Thanks for posting!!

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    At first I thought this was gonna be a wacky dating thread... :lolol 

3. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I started this thread with the idea that maybe there's collectors on here that hit certain stores so frequently that they have gotten to know the toy department staff and get inside information/preferential treatment because of that.

But hey, if someone started dating a toy depatment worker because of Transformers then what the heck......post that too!!:lolol 

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Yes. but mainly because I'm a spaz during lunch break 2:00am and inspect the toy pallets/ toy aisle to see if anything new came in. There is a stocker girl there and we talk on occasion; transformers do come up.

5. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    Yes, of course! Then again...they're my coworkers :cool: 

6. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    'Sleepless in Wal-Mart' just doesn't have the same ring to it.....

7. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, but I do see the same department guys eying me and it makes me feel really uneasy at times.

8. Iron Spider-Man

Iron Spider-Man Banned

News Credits:
    Not just because of TFs, but toys in general. There is at least one employee that I know on a first name basis, and there are probably a couple others who are "aware of my presence" in a manner of speaking. They're all generally rather helpful, even if the manager isn't aware of what the stocking manager is going to do.

I think there's someone like that, anyway... basically the Ares ML wave was no where in sight for this area, and they said they probably weren't going to get any in... well a month later after I gave up on it, they got some in!

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't think so. Last year I frequently went to alot of stores in my area to get what I wanted, but seeing as hunting toys is such a drag over here (and in the case of Animated, we get stuff like half a year later!!), I mostly stick to buying online now.

I am kind of worried though that people in the two TRU stores I frequent start to wonder who this guy is that keeps coming in but mostly leaves without buying anything...:lol 

10. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

on the reverse side of it, I've had some creepy collectors try to "buddy up" with me (one went so far as to offer me tickets to some strip club...) I mean its cool I guess, but you can tell they're just trying to get in with you so they can get the OMG RAREZ toys. I think most employees understand this as they generally dislike how obnoxious collectors can be (especially the hotwheel guys) and try to avoid helping them out so they don't keep bothering them day after day looking for a c10 limited edition target spiderman in a minty ebayable box. (no joke this happens). Its cool that people are looking for things and come back for them, but some of them are very rude and obnoxous about it....although we have some that are friendly and less creeppy that i'm more then happy to help out on a regular basis (while following store protocols)

just not the hotwheel creeps, they can burn in hell.

11. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    there used to be this cool Hasbro rep that would come around my area and restock the shelves at my local TRU back when R.i.D. was around. real nice guy, havent seen him since Energon

12. rampageSSS

rampageSSS All Hail Rampage

News Credits:
    I worked for target a few years ago and got to talking with a customer who also collected transformers and through talking with him i would let him know what new stock was arriving soon and if he needed anything i would put it aside for him until he could come in and collect it (unless i wanted it first :D )

It was also handy for me as when MP Ultra Magnus came in i hid it under a shelf in our reserve until the price dropped in half then i bought it

I also remember when the Darth Vader talking helmets came in and a little boy ripped up the box to one and I bought it for $10 back when they were $90 :cool: 

13. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I'm friends with someone who works a TRU.
    But not because of TFs, but because we're friends at school.

14. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When i used to work at TRU i was in charge of the tf isle , oddly enough i rarely had people come in to look just for tfs.

15. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

Yes but he is my co worker and sometimes me when I'm stuck in there lol.

16. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Me and some guys used to run a comic store back in the late 90's, and since us fanboy sorts usually run in the same kind of circles, we had some overlap with the game stores, card stores, sports memorabilia places, anime bootleggers, toy collectors and by proxy, the store managers.

We had a couple of regular subscribers at our store who were the Toy Dept manager at Wal-Mart, and the Manager of a TRU, which was awesome. There was, once upon a time, occasions when I could simply walk into the storeroom and open whatever cases I wanted and buy anything I liked, and everyone was totally cool with it. Ah, the good 'ol days.

17. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

NAY!

Cuz all the workers Ive ever ran into at the toy section were people who hated their job and was just waiting on the clock... and are pretty stiff when it comes to assistance... Though I do try and visit the same check out, as the clerk is a hottie! lol/jk...

Also, I read one of the comments mentioning weird collectors tryin to befriend them... I (think) I ran across a few collectors but I have a theory that all the "cool" collectors dont really make an effort to talk to another... As they may become "Weird" Collectors as mention.

If anything, the closest to makin friends I come to is usually when Im checkin for new stuff and theirs a clueless parent or grandparent thats overwhelmed by the toy options and are holding some random toy... I'll just ask what their "lil man" is into, and make a suggestion...

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I first started collecting and my best friend was getting into those mid 90s Star Wars lines, we practically haunted the stores around here. then one day we went into the TRU, and ran into a classmate who was doing summer work till college.

I bought more TFs from the trunk of his car that summer than from the store.
    No, he wasn't stealing. He was emptying his room at home and he sold me most of his personal TF collection. Got a complete Fort Max for 150 dollars for the WIN.

But he did let us know when certain waves of SW stuff came in, so my friend bought loads inside, i bought stuff outside. what a summer.

19. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Yeah, last few months of 2007 I was in my local walmart so much, looking for movie concept BB and the exclusive to wallys MP Starscream that the toy manager gave me his personal cell phone # and took a post it note and wrote down what I was looking for and got my cell # also. He called me several times letting me know that a shipment was in, and if I wanted this or that set aside. I ended up getting the call for the MP SS's and went in and bought two cases of them right off the pallet (I didn't scalp them, I have brothers and other collectors in the area that we work together helping each other out) He eventually got another job after the holidays, but that was a sweet 3 month ride!

20. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I used to date a girl who worked at the nearby TRU.She would call me when new TFs came in.
    Now she's a lesbian.