Has anyone else had this scam happen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedPrime, May 19, 2011.

1. RedPrime

RedPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, just got a call from my bank about an hour ago regarding some "suspicious activity" on my account. Someone had gotten my account info and ran up $120 in various online transactions, and other stuff. Well, I have had this bank account open for over 5 years, and nothing like this has ever happened. Nothing has changed recently except for one thing; I signed up for the "Pound Pay" website that Crave uses. Put in all of my account info because I sold quite a few items and had roughly $100 sitting in that account (and didn't even have an account at the time), and I wanted that money. Well, the website wouldn't let me use my paypal account to transfer money, so after the Crave owners assuring me it was safe, I used my actual bank account info. This was roughly a month ago, and closely follows the timeline of the activity. If this is the case, and Crave/PoundPay are at fault, I am going to go back to ye olde ebay. So, has anyone had this happen?

2. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Or a key logger on your PC. Or Man In The Middle info stealing...

3. RedPrime

News Credits:
    See, that's what I was thinking too, but I do all of my transactions on a Mac. I know they're not malware-proof, but they rarely ever get any.

4. RedPrime

News Credits:
    Actually, I figured it out, it was the TFSource scam. I still don't trust poundpay though.

5. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Yup happened to me called the local PD and reported it, too. Come to find out what happened, some used douche nozzle put a virus on the local movie house's server and when my card was swiped I got nailed. Great times too, my bank called me in New England wanting to know if I was making a hella purchase in Baltimore....so the card was shut down, with a big heartful Thank You to the Fraud Squad at my bank. The Secret Service did get involved however I don't know if the bastards were ever caught...hopefully they were.

6. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think you mean the FBI, unless you are a past President in disguise!

7. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

No,I meant the Secret Service...basically there are 2 branches of the Secret Service: first deals with money and the second deals with protecting the POTUS.

Right there in the mission statement:

MISSION STATEMENT
    The mission of the United States Secret Service is to safeguard the nation's financial infrastructure and payment systems to preserve the integrity of the economy, and to protect national leaders, visiting heads of state and government, designated sites and National Special Security Events.

United States Secret Service: Vision and Mission Statements

8. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Usually the secret serivice only gets involved with money problems if they get a tip someone is making counterfeit money or doing something illegal with US tender.

9. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I guess you learn something every day, seems like a weird thing for the Secret Service to take care of.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

It's not totally surprising the secret service could be involved I would bet there was more to that story that only they know..

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Here's an article about the event in question:

Credit Card Numbers Stolen From Movie Theater Computer
    Merrimack Police Say Numerous People Report Credit Card Problems

MERRIMACK, N.H. -- Hackers broke into a Merrimack movie theater's servers and stole customers' credit card information, police said Wednesday.

Investigators said that after receiving numerous reports of fraudulent use of credit cards, police determined that a majority of the victims used their credit cards over the summer and early fall at a Zyacorp Entertainment Cinemagic Stadium movie theater in Merrimack.

Police and the Secret Service determined that a security breach was made into the company's server, allowing someone access to customers' information. The server has since been replaced, and new security measures put in place, police said.

There was no indication how many customers' may have had their credit card information stolen.

Police said patrons of the theater should check their credit card records, and if any problems are found, contact Merrimack police at 603-424-3774.

Credit Card Numbers Stolen From Movie Theater Computer - New Hampshire News Story - WMUR New Hampshire