Has anyone else been "slipping" out of fandom recently?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wazzpinator, Apr 12, 2010.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I reread some of that stuff that I wrote, and I definitely should have edited most of it. Sitting here at a cafe and haphazardly just checking up on the forums instead of getting some work done.

I've been pretty good with getting all the fp stuff and exclusives, but that's because my collection primarily focuses on Classics/Henkei stuff and anything that I can shoehorn into it. Beast Wars era stuff, is surprisingly, my second favorite era, and reacquiring everything plus the rare JP figure had been relegated to a secondary focus. Whatever fits in between (G1, etc) are always last on my list, and even then I'm not really interested in much. I like the movie toys that appear on screen, but that's about it, save for most of the NEST toys.

Sadly I've been debating on whether or not I should get rid of my complete Animated line due to some characters not getting their toys (team charr and team rodimus for the most part), and PCC definitely doesn't appeal to me. Something about those look way too childish for me, but I'll probably give in eventually.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From what I've observed watching my other fandoms that I'm a part of it seems fairly inevitable that things would go to crap.

Any time there are some major changes to a franchise it seems to cause strife between the people who are happy with the new direction and people who liked the old direction better. Lately Transformers has seen a massive amount of change between live action films, Animated, and toys like Robot Heroes and RPMs.

On top of that throw in lots of new fans who might not understand the concept of even with our disagreements we are still all Transformers fans.

On the bright side these things tend to pass. The people who stick around learn hey we are all geeks so I should respect the people I don't agree with. The fandom also moves past old wounds even if there is always going to be some disagreement I mean we don't fight out truck vs monkey every day any more.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I slipped out, but a little stimulation and I was back in in no time.

4. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    As of right now, what with ROTF toys dominating the shelves at all the retail stores, it's given me time to collect some Animated toys. I'm not so much "slipping" out of the fandom, more like taking it easy. The Powercore Combiners...I'm kind of on the fence for that one. On one hand, some of the molds look great (Bombshock, Smolder, Sledge), but some of the others...not so good (Skyburst, Backwind, Leadfoot).

5. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've definitely taken a step back out of the fandom, not because of Transformers themselves but because of some (not all) of the AWFUL fans. There's simply no point communicating with people you think are idiots.

6. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    To be honest, the fandom as a whole is fickle; they can never truly be satisfied with anything. Then again, this probably applies to fandoms of other franchises as well.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Agreed 100%. Admittedly, some of the posts made by Transformers fans have sometimes made me feel like leaving the fandom altogether, especially in the recent months. But I keep my head high and try to ignore said posts, since I still really enjoy the hobby itself.

8. Ash from Carolina

It's pretty much every fandom. GI Joe fans fought over their live action film just like we did. Sigma Six got fought over just like Transformers Animated did. Marvel Universe fans fight over what Hasbro should or should not release.

Really can't think of any fandom where all the fans are happy all the time.

9. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Revenge of the Fallen took a lot out of me. It doesn't help that the only product out there is movie product that I don't care about. I bought one Revenge of the Fallen toy and that was Leader Prime for my Optimus Prime collection. I also bought Masterpiece Skywarp, but I waited until it hit clearance before I did that. If Classics/Universe was also on shelves, I'd probably still be excited about Transformers. As it is, until that happens, I'll just be on the sidelines waiting for something good to happen.

10. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I was... but Bludgeon and Animated Arcee brought me back in.... still looking for them too!

11. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say "slipping out of the fandom" - I've never been a hardcore part of the fandom in the first place. More like "becoming less excited about upcoming figures". In the foreseeable future, All I want is USB Hub Blaster, Generations Drift, Seaspray & Hubcap and TFA Hot Rod & Ironhide - & that's it. I have zero interest in WFC & that upcoming TFs: Prime. Wow, What's wrong with me? :lol  Pretty soon I'll probably start buying rocklords in order to subside the urges for toy collecting... :eek: 

12. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I totally slipped out during the Unicron Trilogy era, those shows didn't interest me lol.

Fortunately, because of the awesomeness of Animated and the '07 movie, I'm back into Transformers (although I always had an undieing love of Beast Wars, even when I'm not "into" Transformers lol).

I'm not really into the toys right now, though, 'cause some of the RotF toys piss me off haha but I'm always on the lookout for those new Animated toys that are supposed to be coming out.

13. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

It's taking less of my attention, but that's to be expected in this lull. It does feel weird, though, because I'm getting ramped up for my first botcon, saving all my money, and not feeling as excited as I should be.

14. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

After only 9 months of being fully happy fan, from Summer 2007 (first baymovie) I was occasionally close to slipping. But during last month I have learned to not pay the big attention to disappointing TF franchises and fandom problems. Now I try to just enjoy my favourite franchises and don't suffer from offensive people in fandom. Thanks to this new position, my transfan devotion got stronger.
    But if I suddenly meet the universe that would impress me as much as TF in 2006, I shall immediately (or very soon) leave the TF fandom, despite of many unfulfilled fanart plans. Because after 2007 I will probably never again get such interest and enjoyment from TF. I want so much to feel it again, if not from TF, then from next addicting, if I shall find it.

15. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Never really 'slipped out', even when current line didn't interest me much (like A/E/C) - there's always been something to interest me, even if it's not current. The last few months have seen an absolute dearth of new TFs which has given me the time and money to track down the remainder of RiD and lots of G1.

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    That's just it--happiness and anger over the current state of any fandom is completely expected. Especially when you have a line of toys like Transformers that has much diversity. A Beast Wars figure has very little in common with Animated or G1 for instance.

There will always be those unhappy with change or differences in any of the fanbases out there.

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People have phases, but just because you didn't like a movie, I wouldn't not care about the brand. You might just be burned out on it, which as has been said before, happens to everyone. Just find something else for now...you'll come back

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see being unhappy with change as a problem in the fandom. As others have stated, we've had that for years... and it's to be expected in any fandom, and any group of people, really. Frankly, those differences keep discussion going, and provide a lot of new info for folks.

On the other hand, responding to change like children is an unfortunate reality of the online fandom these days, and a very real detractor from the quality of interaction we enjoy. Thankfully, those folks tend to come and go quickly, either because they get banned for the way they post or because they can't get supporters for their extreme views and just go elsewhere.

19. Ash from Carolina

The extremes always tend to burn themselves out.

It's that weird view point they have that everyone must agree with them or everyone is against them. Transformers though has been chugging along for 25 years now so there is never any hope that you could get everyone to like exactly and only what you like or don't like.

So yea the crazies come out every now and then but give them a while to burn themselves out and it's back to people who understand we all like different things so our excitement or disappointment will not always be in step with our fellow fans.

20. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Look at the state of discourse when it comes to politics. Crazy talk and frothing at the mouth gets a lot of column inches and airtime, and it's for issues that affect a lot of people.

Maybe we shouldn't be surprised to have that kind of ranting and venom on a forum for toys.