Has anyone else been "slipping" out of fandom recently?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wazzpinator, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    another one of these threads? I think this is the second or third one in the past ten days...

2. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    You're not alone.

I'm sure it happens to all of us, but there's always something around the corner that gets us back into the fold.

The variety of Transformers are never ending from G1 up to ROTF... There's always something to buy or get into.

Recently for me, it's all the 3rd party toys, customs and upgrades. :drool: 

3. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    22 years of age. Been collecting since 2007, with over 1 hundred figures and counting. Running out of shelf space. And I just ordered some more from Ebay and plan on getting some more figures tomorrow. Damn I seriously need to get started on some stop-motion animations. Nope the spark has yet to leave.

4. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    Guilty. The first TF movie killed toy hunting for me. The CGI just didn't translate well to plastic in my eyes.

The reissue market is just about dead too. With a few exceptions (Omega, Sky Lynx, Metroplex, Bruticus), everything has already been done. I think the final straw was the reissue of eHobby's Sunstorm.

I do like Animated, but I remember going to Wal-Mart and Target several times a week looking for figures. Now, I go just for necessities and don't even pass by the toy sections. : \

5. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i never slipped put of the fandom in fact it has grown even stronger than before not quite hard core yet. oh nyarlahotep nice pic dude.

6. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I've been using the movie line as my down time to fill in my G1 collection. I'm almost finished with Season 2 characters. Shockwave & Jetfire are gonna be expensive though. I'm always going to be interested in the line, my interest just sways sometimes from one thing to another.

7. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

me. then macross swallowed me whole.

8. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I am sick right now, as in I am exhibiting flu-like symptoms, my body is aching all over, I know what would make me feel better: If I'm able to find the TF figures I've been wanting for a long time. :) 

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm the exact opposite. I eat, breath, and drink this stuff. I wish I could cut back, but I honestly feel I am trying to fill a void with all this Transformer stuff. I can't wait to take the next cool pic. I always have the itch to stop by the next store just to see what they got. I wish I could stop, but I can't. I imagine I'll get burned out sooner or later.

10. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    While lulls are inevitable between big franchise 'marketing events', I think Hasbro has done pretty well at maintaining interest between movies, all thinks considered. After all, the scale of movie hype can't really be replicated all that easily. To me, projects such as Animated and WFC seem more satisfying, even though they lack the excitement of rampant leaking and daily updates.

Give it six months and TF3 should be buzzing along fairly consistently.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Still hardcore after all these years. It's a lifetime's passion for Transformers.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    quite a bit, but like someone else here said, it's allowed me to get more 3rd party transformer figures, like knight commander and defender. and I've been able to finally get macross figures! :thumb  I'm definitely looking forward to the war for cybertron figures, and the hunt the decepticon scouts, but that's about it.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol  Touche!

. . . . and this describes me as well.

14. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Yes, and it feels absolutely great. In the end, when you turn off the computer, it's only you and your collection. If you're pleased with what you have, there's no need to go after more just because the "FANDOM" (which is basically a bunch of internet opinions behind avatars) is going on. Seriously, if you have to go out of your way to keep up with the fandom, you're missing the point.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In theory, the past 6 months would have been a perfect reason for me to slip out of/behind with 'the fandom'.

However, despite the fact that there has been no major media or toy releases in that time (at least in the UK), I have found other TF related things to do to fill the gap.

For a start, I signed up to TFW!

I have also been actually taking the time to appreciate and enjoy my collection rather than wondering what else I could add to it. I have been displaying my figures and transforming ones I haven't picked up in a long time, or I am opening figures which have been sitting sealed on the shelf for months.

And perhaps the best part of all, I am currently in the process of watching through the entire run of Beast Wars for the first time...and I am LOVING IT!

So the answer to the question is 'no', I am not slipping out of the fandom. Emphatically so.

If anything, I am more in it than ever and couldn't be happier about it. :cool: 

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Nope, haven't been "slipping" out of fandom, and I doubt it will be happening any time soon.

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Constantly. Transformers is my least active hobby and it always will be, I like aspects of it of course but i'm not into it enough to want to be interested in most of the news/toys etc

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just so there's some clarity, "fandom" refers to "the community of fans", not necessarily what the fans are fans of.

(Fandom - Transformers Wiki)

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. I hated Animated so much, I stepped away from the fandom for close to a year.

Even after coming back, I'm not nearly as engaged in it as I was before.

20. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    For me, it's not so much about the toys. It's more about the community and the Live Action Movies.
    Just my 2 cents.