Has a thunderstorm actually scared you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Autobot_Wall-E, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Wow :lol  my story is nothing compared to most of you....

But this one time it was the night after a horrible one that was like a small hurricane and a electric pole had been struck. They were working on it as we were driving by and all of a sudden sparks rained from the box they were repairing and almost singed our car! I only remember a little bit of it but I thought afterwards "that could have been the end of my life!" probably wasn't as bad as I remember it though...

2. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I live in Florida so they can get kinda bad down here sometimes.

A couple in recent memory had me a little scared,but with the weather here you get over it pretty easy as it happens a lot.

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was 6 or 7, lightning struck close enough to my house to turn the TV in my bedroom on- at full volume. My mom came in and yelled at my brother and I for having it on, but realized it wasn't us when she went to push in the knob to turn it off *yeah, it was an old TV), but the knob was already pushed in...she eventually just unplugged it, after getting my dad to check out the cool thing the lightning had done to the TV.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I am only scared by thunder/lightning, but only when I am not 100% expecting it to happen. So basically, the first booms scare me a little.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It isn't the storms that scare me, it is the things associated with them.
    When i lived in Tuscaloosa, the Warning Sirens went off- they sounded like Air raid sirens and in the storm they seemed to moan. that's disturbing. made me uneasy.

As a kid I have lived in mobile homes during storms. the rattling of the structure borders on torture to me.

and i have worked in the back of an ambulance during some nasty weather. I do not recommend to anybody riding in a van during a storm with 50 mph+ winds. it is rough on the nerves.

I actually like watching storms and following their travel- just like to from a sturdy, dry spot.

Can i ask those of you from the Southwest about those lightning storms? are they really that fast and furious?

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Well, there is a metal stud in it...

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i sleep better with thunderstorms

8. red4

red4 Banned

Haven't had a noteworthy thunderstorm here since the 90s. They were never fast nor furious, but loud and awesome. I live in west Texas, so I hope that's Southwest enough for you.

9. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    a couple years back i was spending the night in a trailer with my girlfriend at her family's camp right on the river; a river that thunderstorms travel along. there was a bang of thunder from a lightning bolt that hit the water around 5:00 AM that was the loudest fucking thing i have ever heard in my life. scared the gorram shit out of me.

10. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Lightning does scare me a bit, Tornadoes not so much.

I've had a couple run-in's with the bolts, so that's pretty much why. First time was when I was like 8. I stayed the night at my cousin's house and we stayed up all night playing Super Nintendo. So we were pretty much zombies going into the early hours of the morning. Well, just as dawn broke, a storm moved in. We heard a few bits of thunder and just shrugged it off. Then suddenly a bolt struck the middle of the road, right outside his bedroom window. The combo of being tired as hell and the loud boom made my heart skip a couple beats.

Second encounter with lightning was when I was 17, I believe. Was up north with friends at their cabin (glorified trailer home). The cabin was located next to two giant pine trees, with an aerial antennae in between them. Lightning struck one of the pine trees and killed it, then the bolt jumped to the antennae and fried the TV. The next day, storms and high winds came through again. This time though, the wind was the factor. The pine tree that got struck by the bolt must have taken some structural damage. The wind caught it and blew the top half of it over....right on top of the cabin....while we were inside. Many branches punctured through the ceiling and wall and came close to hitting several of us, but we lucked out and nobody was hurt.

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

It only scares me when it hits really close, otherwise I think its neat.

12. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I like them for the most part. Don't care to be out driving if they involve hail or extremely strong winds. As for scaring me? They might surprise me with really loud thunderclaps every now and then.

13. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

Hell, yeah, every time I see lightning my heart fukn jumps

14. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Not since I was about 5/6.

15. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    I'm fine with lighting.
    But thunder freaks me out. Espically if it's really loud and sudden.
    One time when I was about to go to bed, the sky turned purple and the wind was 100 kph and it rained for 15 mins.

16. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Maybe when I was younger.

Scares the hell out of my dogs, though.

17. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Living in the mid-west I grew to love thunderstorms. They only time I'm ever really scared of them is when the rain is going sideways. That usually isn't a good sign. :lol 

18. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    A few times. One was because there was really strong winds and I had to walk back to my dorm. There were some milk crates rolling like tumbleweeds. A tree fell on our dorm building but it was across the hall from me.

Another time was when I was sleeping and lightening struck really close and the thunder was deafening. Not a good way to wake up.

Most recently a storm came through just as my girlfriend left to go to her mom's house and there was sheets of rain and a lot of lightening and I was worried that something might happen but she was fine

19. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

One time my parents forced me to go cut the grass on the front lawn which I protested until they threatened. I was cutting the grass when very low rumbles were going on and very light rain. I wasn't concerned at all until I was nearly blinded by a visible bolt of lightening then a thunder clap that sounded like a bear trap the size of my house snapped closed followed by the normal thunder but louder than usual. I jumped off the mower (which wasn't smart and sprinted for the house (also not smart) and went in to find the power out and everyone else in the basement. It was scary.

The next morning the school bus had just picked me up and it looked like 8:00 at night outside. I was quite tired but the bus stopped too early and I looked ahead to see a massive downed power line that was sparking. My bus sat there for probably 15 minutes and then decided to take the LONG way around to pick up everyone else who were all STILL at their stops :lol 

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The one who promised to do all things for my good controls the weather.

So no, I'm not scared of thunderstorms.