Has a Non-TF fan surprised you with knowledge?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Dec 3, 2009.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Other than the '07 and '09 films. My friend Ryan did when during a conversation he brought up Unicron. Shocked, I asked him if he had seen the '86 movie. He answered "Yes" and we went on with our chat. I was relatively impressed.

Any experiences like this for you?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think for people old enough to have lived through the initial transformers craze, its not surprising to have someone bust out some knowledge on their favorite character, or a toy they had as a kid.

Although sometimes its even more funny and surprising to see how their memories have changed over the years, and how fervently some people will defend the accuracy of their remembrances of a foot tall fully metal Megatron with electronic gun noises.

3. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    my gf surprised me with her knowledge of the g1 series, she even remembers stuff i don't...

4. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. When I first met my girlfriend. Don't remember much of the conversation but it surprised me cause she don't know much as of right now.

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I was shocked when my gf could name almost the entire cast of the '86 movie, when I thought she fell asleep through it

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah surprisingly after the first movie came out. I was surprised that a co-worker knew that Blackout was a Helicopter from Energon.

He was asking me about the movie Decepticons and if they were all old 80's characters and I didn't want to get all Nerd on him.

Flipped me out when he said that. Cuz that's pretty obscure.

7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised, frankly, that most of my friends actually remember most of the movie TFs' names. They can name all the Autobots from the first movie, Wheelie, Jetfire, the Twins, as well as Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Devastator, and the Fallen. Nice to see some of the more minor ones, like Soundwave, were memorable to them.

8. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I made a bunch of friends watch the '86 movie a few years ago.

They remember a thing or two, but most often "The Touch." :p 

9. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I haven't met ONE person that knows anything about Transformers!!! :cry  I feel left out.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My knowledge of Transformers is so massively expansive that if any non-TF fan knew something about the franchise their knowledge would be so infinitesimally small compared to mine it wouldn't have merit or be enough to surprise me.

:p 

Nah - I don't really talk about TF with that many non-fans so this situation doesn't really crop up. The most I'd probably get these days is 'That's that robot car movie thing with lots of explosions, yes?'.

11. Unicron Jr

Unicron Jr Son of Unicron

When I try to talk to any one other than my brother about Transformers they just think it is the Bay movie. I am surprise no one my age knows that they existed before in the 80.

12. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This was a few years back, my wife was telling someone on the phone about me getting a G1 Ratbat. She told them that I got a good deal concidering that it had the original ears and weapons. I'd never told her that part but she said that she'd just picked it up from me always browsing Ebay. I was impressed just the same, I didn't think she paid that close attention to what I was doing.

13. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

My friend and I were talking about the Bay movies and how Starscream was handled when he suddenly brought up Skywarp. That just stunned me for some reason.

14. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Last year I was talking to a buddy at work and he asked me if I've seen the Transformer movie. Sure I'm pretty big into Transformers I said.
    Then he said something like "It would have been awesome if they would have included that blue detective Autobot, I think his name was Nightbeat. That guy is awesome".
    Then I was like, wait? what!
    It turned out he used to read the old Marvel Comics back in the day, so that was pretty cool.
    Another guy at work knew about Galvatron and Unicron and apparently used to watch the 1986 movie a lot when he was a kid.

15. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    My mother managed to shock me the other day. I was discussing Optimus Prime before he became a Prime and she said rather calmly, "Oh, you mean when he was still Orion Pax". How great is that?!

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    That IS cool. :) 

I usually get the opposite, probably because I'm a girl - guys claiming to be 'the biggest fan' who give me a blank look when I ask basic questions like 'what show did you start with?' They usually say 'the first' or 'the first movie' and I get great amusement out of watching most of them squirm as I cheerily chirp 'Oh, G1? Cool, me too! Did you watch it when it was broadcast, or later when they did the Cosmic Cube thingy?' knowing full well they meant a later series or the Bay films. :lol  :lol  :lol 

--Moony

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Moony,
    You're NOT trying to trip-up the guys are ya?? hee hee --I have to say I get a very positive reaction from guys (in stores, etc) when they find out I'm a fan..they think its "Awesome", then we start talking about our collections, etc. and they will ask me questions about a certain bot, like which one is the best version, etc.So all in all I've had pretty good experiences to report..

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    No. Even when I show them a Movie TF they're usually like "Uhh.. insn't that the *insert color here* who did that *insert scene here*?".

19. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was surpised last year that my friend knew the movie cons and bots all at once

20. Echnalaid

Echnalaid Watermelons?

Ebay:
    My friend brought up that the Autobot symbols are red (I was wearing my movie style Autobot shirt with a blue background). I didn't even know she knew anything about Transformers other than that me and my other friend obsess over them.