Harry Potter Toys

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Rewind, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I couldn't turn up anything specific in regards to a Harry Potter thread, so if there is one out there that I somehow overlooked, please point it out.

I recently started reading the Harry Potter novels (something about spring makes me shift to super-light-reading mode) and watched the first five movies in a row (had only seen the first one before) and now I'm finding myself wanting a good Harry Potter figure for my Hall of Nerdly Obsessions. I don't think I'm interested in any line as a whole, just one really good figure of Harry to represent that universe.

From the research I've done I've come to the conclusion that there isn't much out there that looks appealing to me. The Mattell figures look terrible, the NECA figures are NECA figures (McFarlanesque statues) and the Tonner dolls are, well, too dolly-looking. The one line that looks good to me, made by PopCo, is only available in the UK and is hard to find outside of Ebay.

What are your favorites? Is there an overall great representation of Harry in figure form or has everything so far been as sub-standard as it looks?
    I'm really hoping Sideshow or HotToys produces a 1/6 scale version because that would be pretty much all I'd need.

2. Falldown

Falldown Well-Known Member

The PopCo figures suffer compared to the NECA in terms of paint detail and sculpt. They're not bad, but sometimes the paint can be a little sloppy as you might expect on a Star Wars figure. There are some decent sellers on eBay who've sold PopCo figures in the past (where I bought some for my girlfriend) but I'm pretty sure I saw an article somewhere saying PopCo went out of business so they could become harder to find or more expensive.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
  4. Rewind

News Credits:
    Interesting, from what I read on some Harry Potter forums it sounded like Popco is still in business and they are making figures for the upcoming Potter film as well. I think they are also the company that makes the Super Mario Bros. figures currently at TRU and Target.

5. StrawHatPirate

StrawHatPirate KaizokuOu

I will admit that I'm pretty partial to NECA's figures. Sure, they may not have a lot in the way of articulation, but the sculpts are generally pretty nice and make for good likenesses of the film versions of the characters (at least when you find one with good paint, which can be a challenge with anything NECA makes). My favorite thing that NECA has done so far is the Harry vs. Voldemort box set (www.necaonline.com || National Entertainment Collectibles Association, Inc.). I picked this up at one of my local comic shops last year and you get the 7" figures of Harry and Voldemort from NECA's Goblet of Fire line and you get a really nice diorama of the Riddle family grave. This can usually be found for $30 to $50 and I've personally found it to be worth it, though you're mileage may vary since it sounds like you're not a huge fan of NECA's more statuesque figures.

I do own one of the PopCo figures, and it's not bad. But they are almost impossible to find, and really pricey when you do. I only bought this particular figure since it's my favorite character and I have this weird need to own different versions of certain characters. It's decent for a 3 3/4" scale figure and you do get some good accessories with all the figures in the line that I've seen. If they were easier to find and for a bit better price, I'd probably own most, if not all, of them.

It would be nice to see what Sideshow or Hot Toys could do with these characters in a 1/6 scale, but I have a feeling we'll have to wait a while to see that happen, if it ever does.

6. Rewind

News Credits:
    No doubt about it, NECAs stuff looks fantastic. I have a few of their POTC, Kill Bill & TMNT figures. The TMNT are the only ones with lasting appeal for me because they are more action figure and less statue. The one NECA HP figure I've been tempted to get is Hagrid, who's lack of dynamic articulation probably wouldn't bother me since Hagrid is rather a massive lump anyway.

I just nabbed a MIB Popco Harry on Ebay for just over $8 shipped from Britain, so that's not too shabby at all. Hopefully it'll hold me over until another company makes something more appealing to me.

7. StrawHatPirate

StrawHatPirate KaizokuOu

I have heard really good things about NECA's Hagrid figure between the sculpt, the amount of accessories and the sound box with quotes from the movies (I think he's got 10 different quotes). Lately, NECA has been doing a lot more with articulation in their figures. The articulation is what made their TMNT figures some of my favorites, and I've been impressed with the amount of articulation on their Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV figures. While it's a long shot, maybe they'll experiment with adding some of the articulation to their Half-Blood Prince figures.

I'm impressed you were able to get one of the PopCo figures for so cheap. The single Hermione figure I have cost me close to $30 shipped from the UK.

8. Rewind

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was looking at a couple of Hermiones on Ebay and they were both around $30 before shipping. It seems to be just Harry that can be had for somewhat cheap right now. I'm tempted to buy this Luna:
    Harry Potter - Basic Magical Creatures - Thestral with Luna Lovegood - Order of the Pheonix - Action Figures - Harry Potter - Galactic Toys

I hope the HBP Popco figures get released at some point because the new Luna looks awesome.
    Voldemorts Vault - Harry Potter Collectible Fan Site Message Board :: View topic - HBP Series One from Popco

9. Rewind

News Credits:
    Got my PopCo Harry in the mail today (DAMN fast shipping from Britain!) and I actually really, really like how they've done this line. The articulation is great and the figure itself is made from a really sturdy plastic. The paint is great for the most part, especially on the eyes and glasses, and the likeness to Daniel Radcliffe is amazing for something this small. The scale leaves such a small footprint on the shelf that I'm actually considering tracking down Hermione and all of the Weaslys now...grr. None of them are going to be as cheap as Harry was. :|

10. StrawHatPirate

StrawHatPirate KaizokuOu

I'm glad to hear you found a HP figure that you like. Good luck with trying to track down Hermione and the Weasley's. That probably won't be cheap. I did, however, see the Fred and George two pack on eBay a week or two ago for only about $20.

I'm still trying to hunt down PopCo's Sirius that's supposed comes packed with the veil from the Department of Mysteries. So far, though, I've only found the Harry/Sirius Grimmauld Place set.

Also, has anyone found Neca's Chamber of Secrets box set yet? It's apparently out since BBTS is sold out of it and sellers on eBay have it. I've check most of my local comic shops and other places that sell NECA toys (TRU, FYE, Hot Topic, etc.) to no avail. I really want the Richard Harris Dumbledore, Sorting Hat, Fawkes, etc. that come in that set.

11. Rewind

News Credits:

That is a rather nice looking set and quite tempting. I almost want it for Fawkes alone. I haven't seen it at any stores either.

I'd pay $20 for Weasley set. I'm going to keep an eye on the seller I got Harry from in case they offer anything else for a good price.