Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ravenxl7, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just saw this over at www.mugglenet.com

Personally, I have no problem with it being split into two seperate movies. After I read the book, one of my first thoughts was that it's going to be really hard to put into movie form withought either making it really long or splitting it up into two movies. I know there aren't that many HP fans on here, but I figured I would post it anyways. Please keep this thread on-topic, friendly, and withought any degenerative comments towards HP or any fans of HP. Thanks.

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ugh...TWO movies?

While I think it is great that they are doing that to keep the integrity of the 7th book (which was amazing) intact for the screen, I just don't want to have to wait that long to see it all finished on screen.

I'm wondering what the stopping point will be for movie 1?

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    ....WHY? The last book is the only one out of the entire series that could actually work, if only cause the entire middle part was one giant yawnfest. >__<

4. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Harry Potter and the Last Gasp Cash-in?

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm fine with them splitting the book into 2 movies; it's a long book and there's a lot to cover. Hopefully it'll also let them do proper justice to the battle at the end.

6. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

....I just want a final battle for the ages....

ligth back and forth, chairs and stuff fling everywhere, and a badass dramactic entrances etc. Everything that makes a final battle memorable.

an epilogue would be nice.

although I think this is just the last cash in they can with the movies.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think it is a great idea. There has been a lot of missing information in the last few movies and I think that the books have enough plot and substance to warrant two movies.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Nice. Just read the HP books for the first time over the summer.

9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

This is good news I think. I knew there was no way they could do the last book as one movie. When I was reading it I kept trying to think of things they could cut for the movie and couldn't come up with a whole lot. I would have preferred one 4 hour movie though. I know that's box office craziness to do that, but I personally love long ass movies if they're good. By then I should have a computer with a Blu-Ray burner so I'll probably be able to edit them together into one long movie much like I did Matrix 2/3. Hopefully I won't have to cut a ton of stupid shit out of them though.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Not a big HP fan. I've read the books (actually found the last one to be...eh it was alright) and seen the films.

Got a question though...what will they title them?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1 and 2?

11. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Probably will be a good thing. The last two movies (GoF and OotP) I felt they cut too much out. I know books turned into movies normally have stuff cut out or changed somewhat, but I felt they over did it with those two, especially OotP. Really when they started making the movies I thought that if they had to split any of the HP books into two movies it'd be OotP since it was the longest of all the books. Hopefully they just do a better job making the next couple movies. I loved reading OotP but the movie version felt weak.

12. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I'd guess, probably when Ron storms out of the tent and disappears for awhile.

So far, I have not been a big fan of the Harry Potter movies largely because they were Hollywood-ized to bastardization. Quick! We've got to throw a chase scene in here! Why? Everyone loves chase scenes despite whether or not there was one in the actual book! That said, the dragon chase scene in GoF was an utter waste of time and could have been used to further develop the characters and/or story.

The only exception for me not liking the Harry Potter movies that much is OotP. Reason? I thought the book was awful. The book was terrible to Cho (dropped pretty much like a sack of potatoes when she looked like she could have been a future Mrs. Potter at first), far too much Umbridge, of Harry being an ass that needed to be smacked, and too much utter depression that made the book drag even worse than the Deathly Hallows mid-section. Hell, if I remember correctly, even Rowling didn't like it and said she'd rewrite if she could. At least with the movie, they were adjusted just right especially toning down Umbridge's part and not making Cho a waterworks.

13. Sparky Prime

The movie really didn't do any better IMO. They made her the one that ratted out the D.A. Granted Umbridge forced her to tell them by using veritaserum on her but I hated that they did that to Cho in the movie. Also I thought it made a lot of sense she was still that upset over Cedric in the book. Umbridge, I'd agree was really too much of in the book, but I found it made it that much more satisfying when they finally got rid of her at the end.

14. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Actually, I think it was the veritaserum that really saved Cho's character in the movie. In the book, Harry and Cho broke-up over Marietta's betrayal and Cho's defending her. Here, Cho did rat them out but she was absolutely forced to because of the serum especially sinced Umbridge used the whole vial on her instead of the recommended three drops. It could have happened to anyone really including Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Ginny, but in the film it was Cho that drew the short straw. It didn't downgrade her toughness and it looks as though the relationship between her and Harry could still be salvageable once he found out she was forced because of veritaserum.

As for her being upset in the book, yes, that's understandable but the problem was that it was too prolonged and it made her come off a bit whiney. It downgraded her toughness and I think that hurt her character overall.

I'll agree that the overdose of Umbridge in the book did make the ending more satisfying but, as Rowling even said, it was too long. It didn't need to be that long to get a feeling of satisfaction in the end and it was asking a lot of the reader to drag through to get to the "happy ending" that was Umbridge's sacking.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I loved the 7th book, but I think it can be told in one movie. There was a lot of traveling with the three characters that could be omitted. The one that I believe should have been two movies, or one very long one, was Goblet. So many things happened in that book and so many characters introduced that I felt shortchanged, even for a movie. I loved it, and still own it, but I could have done with more World League Quiditch rather than a rock concert that never happened. The glory of that book was seeing that a world of magic existed outside of little Hogwarts and the entire first couple of chapters showed that.

16. Sparky Prime

Well I think the break up in the book was a combination of Cho wanting to talk about Cedric as well as defending her friend. Which again is understandable. I also thought it was too bad they cut out the part where the word "sneak" appeared on the forehead of the person that told as per Hermione's cleverness to put a spell on the list they all signed, especially since some didn't seem to thrilled to part of the group. It the book, Umbridge tried to use the veritaserum on Harry. She pored all of of it into a cup of tea she gave him but Harry knew not to drink anything she gave him. The veritaserum may have saved Cho's character but I still hated that they made her the one that talked in the movie rather than her friend.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Cool I guess...I really liked the last movie much more than the first four.

18. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I'm not reading this thread, because I've never read any of the books (don't care to, personally) and I like when things in the movies surprise me, and I already know about the death (victim and murderer) in HBP thanks to Entertainment Weekly, and not everybody uses Spoiler Text, but I'll say this:

I love the movies. I can't wait for the next one. I pray they use the same cast members (Richard Harris' death was an exception to using a new actor). I wonder what they'll call these. Deathly Hallows: Part One/Two? Or, do you think it'll be something more creative?

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Phoenix was a poor book (and movie) because it didn't accomplish anything and the main focus of the book/movie (the prophecy) was pointless.

20. Sparky Prime

Didn't accomplish anything? It brought light to the fact Voldemort truly had returned when the Ministry believed he hadn't. The Weasley twins started their joke shop and establishing themselves in that business. Battles took place, people die or are captured. As for the prophecy, it established why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry when he was just a defenseless baby. It also revealed "either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives".