Hark! My Transformers for a job!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cal, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi TFW2005, I’m Cal, long-time ghoster, first-time poster. I’m here because I’m out of work, and I haven’t managed to find a job in years. Seriously. I’m a media artist, skilled in graphism, illustration, photo editing, and I’m pretty much a jack-of-all-trades with industry-standard image editors. All this, I’m afraid, doesn’t count for much in the Irish countryside. Jobs are few and far between, and since I arrived here last year it’s been difficult for me to get around without a driver’s license. I’ve tried applying for apprenticeships, job forums, HR assistance, even the basic door-to-door applications. Nothing works. I’m looking to get employed in England or the States, but there’s not a snowflake’s chance in hell that an employer will hire someone from overseas without connections, and I can’t afford an extended stay abroad in an urban area to greatly increase my chances for employment without having a fixed income. Bottom line, I can’t get a job without money, and I can’t get money without a job.

So what does this have to do with you? Well, I’m getting desperate (did I mention I’ve been unemployed for years?), desperate enough to play long shots. I don’t own much of any real value, but I think my small collection of Transformers might mean something to you. I’ll get straight to the point: I’m offering all my Transformers as a reward to anyone who can help me get a job overseas. By that I don’t mean a suggestion of where to look or how to increase my chances, I’m talking about hiring me! If you’re into media and you have any influence with your boss - or better yet, if you are the boss - I’m asking if you can find work for me and save me from ruin. I’m a quick learner and pretty flexible in related fields. Help me and my Transformers are yours. I know it’s an unorthodox trade, but I’m just another guy to employers without some kind of leverage.

My CV and portfolio are at your disposal, but I’d rather share those in private with anyone who believes they can help. PM me if you want to talk. While you consider, the photos of my Transformers - Classics/Henkei, Animated a few extras - are available below. I’m grateful for any help you can offer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime has extended smokestacks. The original short ones are included, as well as the instruction sheets, character cards and mangas for most of the figures.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Welcome to the boards Cal, best of luck on your mission.

Maybe you'll eventually make some friends here that'll help for free, so you can keep your stuff and continue collecting.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If I could help, I would and as CM said for no charge. I myself am a Graphic Designer, and we've cut back at our company from 5 artists to 3, so I feel for you. Keep up the good fight sir.

4. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you like insurance you could try here in va we have a insurance call center pays around 26000 a year

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll get you a job at my movie theatre sweeping up stuff for minimum wage in trade for the City Commander armor...but I suspect that's not what you're looking for.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I have no connections that can aid you , but i will wish you luck and hope your able to keep your collection

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um... don't get me wrong. I am eager, but traveling trans-Atlantic to sweep up theatres for minimum wage seems a little extreme, even in my situation. But thanks.

I've worked call centres in tech assistance before, but never insurance. Is there training involved, and is it difficult to learn?

8. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Volunteer. Can equal job. Other than that, screw this forum and start talking to people face to face.

(Post artwork to get commissions)

9. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    naw its easy to learn we put you through a 6 week class
    just go to nationwide.com/careers and fill out at the bottom

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well....you can join the army

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards Cal. Have you checked out sites like elance or odesk? These could lead to full time work...

12. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Cal, I feel your pain. I'm unemployed also. I have no real hope, but I will offer well wishes. :) 

13. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Have you thought about selling those figures? Then you would get money. Then you would have a job.

It's rough everywhere. I think it just best to sell and get a job there than planning on coming here for a job. All that red tape and the job, if you get it, you can be let go or the company would go under so you would be in the same situation but over here instead.

Best of luck though.

14. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
  15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What does a Media Artist do?

Does this mean you produce any type of artwork on computer? Is it just line work? Or textures? Whats your design skill like?

Because thats pretty much what an Artist working in a Video Games company does. Do your skills overlap into this industry much?

I can try and pass your contact details to a guy I knew, he might be able to help. I have to see if I still have his number though. Do you have a website or anything online where people can check out your stuff?

Edit
    Oh, and going through agencies is sometimes a big no no. A lot of places only accept direct applications.

16. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First of all, this small collection isn't worth all that much. Maybe a couple hundred euros, which is not enough to sustain me abroad for any significant amount of time. Secondly, I couldn't even earn that. eBay Ireland is total ass. I tried putting eight items up for sale this Winter and not a single one of them sold. All the action is happening on eBay.com and eBay.co.uk.

That's funny, because I learned the exact opposite. When I was doing door-to-door, I invariably got one of two responses: 1) "We're not hiring at the moment." 2) "We only hire through agencies."

Er, I was thinking of something more specific than a generalised job sign-up. It's difficult enough for me to find work in media, let alone one in which I have no experience in insurance. Unless you know of a way to increase my chances...

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to find a job. I would help, but likewise I'm in the same boat... no job; my only option is to continue attending college and earn a degree in either web design or designing user experience (I'm still debating which path to take).

Good luck finding a job, and please, for heaven's sakes, keep your TFs.