Hard to Find G1 Reissues. Are they ever going to re-release them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mega-Prime, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember a few years back Jazz, Prowl, Skids & Tracks were near impossible to find & then all of a sudden there was a 2nd shipment & you could find them in abundance anywhere.

Are there any plans on re-releasing others like Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave... etc like they did with Masterpiece Prime?

Would the recent Takara/Tomy merger prevent this from happening?

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I really doubt it.

Rumor has it that Hasbro will be doing Soundwave with two cassettes. But as for Takara/Tomy no future reissues have been announced or even planned so the likelihood of them re-releasing older ones is next to nothing.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I ended up having to pay $140 for Soundwave, and then it turned out that he was opened and the stickers were applied. -_-

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd bet my collection that we'll see another Megatron release in one form or another from Takara.

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Knowing absolutely no details about the Takara/Tomy situation, here's my two cents (or 1.88 cents American).

My guess is that things are still pretty crazy at Takara/Tomy after the merger and they are probably still trying to get a lot of stuff sorted out. To my knowledge the MP Starscream was planned before the merger and is pretty much going ahead as planned. However, as a result of the corporate chaos I doubt we'll see anything substantial from Takara in regard to post-merger activity for a while yet.

I think the initiative Hasbro's been taking with TFs lately also reflects the situation with what appears to be a standstill on Takara's part. To my knowledge, the Classics line isn't available from Takara (I've only seen/heard of it as a Hasbro line). You'd think that if Takara really had things going we'd see SOMETHING in regard to Classics from them. But we haven't, thus perhaps confirming my corporate chaos theory. Also, I haven't seen or heard anything about Takara in regard to the upcoming movie. So my guess is that for the most part (MP Starscream being the only exception I know of), it looks like Hasbro's the one flying the TF flag at the moment. (Which I think is a good thing, as it will hopefully re-energize the NA aspect. I hate to say it, but the Japanese haven't done squat with the TF show since RiD, so I think it's about time North America stepped up to the plate and pulled another Beast Wars on us (BW being my all-time favourite and most kickass TF series of all time) I say this because I think North American fans have been somewhat disappointed by series like Armada, Energon, and Cybertron (show wise... the toys have been pretty swell). Thus, to re-energinze the franchise a bit, having a show made in North America may re-introduce a following in the show, rather than what I preceive to be more of a toy-based following).

Anyway, that's my 0.87 Euros on the subject. Feel free to comment/crit.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    before soundwave, Takara regularly re-released their reissues, often with fixes that hasbro made for their own releases. (first run TFC jazz was floppy, later TFC jazzes are not). Why they stopped doing this after soundwave is beyond my understanding.

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I'm sure they've thought about it. Tomy must be aware that Hasbro can't re-release Megatron as it was.....although i can see Them hiking the price up.

In a way, I'd perfer they didn't reissue it.... quite a lof of the G1 reissues haven't done that well, consequently, i have some
    concerns that they'd just get in a situation where just 4 or 5 G1 toys are re-issued every 3 or 4 years.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hope they do, I still need Megatron and Soundblaster.

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

There aren't many Hasbro reissues that I would expect to do well in a re-release. Maybe Prime, Starscream, or Hot Rod (Rodimus Major), since they seemed to go pretty fast in my area and never showed back up. Most of the others just clogged shelves. Now, a release of Soundwave could do well, I think, but only if they sell him at a reasonable price. I absolutely loved the idea of reissues when they first came out, but the $30+ price tags just told me that Hasbro wanted to fuck collectors out of a few more $$, which soured me on the whole idea. I think the strategy did little more than fuck the whole line, in my opinion. Case in point, most of them started to disappear when prices were slashed to ~$20.

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was really TRU's cashgrab, not Hasbro's. Hasbro is selling Astrotrain for $25 on their site, which is much more reasonable.

Of course for Soundwave, I think we'd all be willing to drop $35. :p 

11. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    People spend so much cash on reissues like $140 for soundwave...go get the originals I am sure you could of found a mint soundwave for $140. When the reissue twincast came out I paid a little bit less for my original (with no steeljaw) than the reissue with the lame recolored casette.

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, but there's not much difference between $25 and $30, plus Hasbro doesn't have to account for the TRU middle man. Does Hasbro operate HasbroToyShop.com directly, or is it some kind of contracted setup? Plus, Astrotrain is pretty much just a basic-sized TF with a little diecast in him. All I'm saying is that reissues seem to be more expensive than they need to be, whether Hasbro sets the price or the retailer.

EDIT: And yes, I agree, $35 for Soundwave doesn't sound out of line.