Hard drive issues!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cloud Strife, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i am working on an old computer i had in storage. i noticed that when it went through the POST it said the hard drive was not functioning properly and needed to be replaced. it seemed to be working fine but i figured i would replace the hard drive anyway. i bought an 80 gig off of newegg. i got it and installed the drive, but BIOS wouldn't recognize the hard drive, i returned the drive and got a new one. i installed the new one and everything seemed to be fine. windows install was working fine untill it rebooted. then all of a sudden the hard drive was gone again. i hooked it up to my working desktop and had no problems using it and reformating it there. hooked it back up to the other comp and BIOS woudln't recognize the hard drive. why is it not recognizing the hard drive? is it too big for the mobo? or is there issues with the mobo connector?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'd say its not the hard drive. Probably the motherboard

3. Cloud Strife

that's what i'm thinking too but just wanted a second opinion...........

4. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Depending on how old the motherboard is, it may not be detecting the drive properly or as mentioned, the connector or IDE controller.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

yeah, if you've gone thru several different hard drives, then its got to be something else besides the hard drive. most likely, is probably the motherboard

6. Cloud Strife

i'm gonna try to switch out the IDE and see if that works. if it doesn't, i'm gonna try to install windows on another comp and see if it recognizes windows. because it was working fine when the previous drive had windows allready installed maybe it'll still work.

7. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I'm gonna say the motherboard connectors because I've had the same problem on a previous board I had. It was pin issues I had for mine. Sometimes it would read it and other times I would get errors.

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I had the same issue with my daughter's old PC. Switching IDE controllers did nothing, so I concluded that the problem was with the motherboard.