Hard Disk Space Discrepancy

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MoeSizzlac, Dec 10, 2009.

1. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Wondering if anyone has come across a problem like this and if there is a good explanation for why.

I have a 2006 Toshiba laptop satellite with Windows XP Home, Firefox, and well a whole bunch of other Programs.

I go to "My Computer" and right click the C: drive, go to properties and it shows 89 Gigs used and 21 GB's free.

Double Click the C: drive from My Computer and it brings up the root directory (what's in my C: Drive). I click " Ctrl + A" to select all files as well as hidden ones and right click one of the highlighted folders, go to properties and it shows 79 Gigs total.

What happened to 10 Gigs?

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Could it be the system restore save (Meaning your back up discs)? I know I have gotten a few pcs that come with it on the HD instead of on disc, requiring you to burn the discs yourself. Not sure if those files would be grabbed with the CTRL A function or not.

Chuck

3. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Well done. That accounts for about 6 gigs that were lost. I guess that's better than nothing.
    Thanks Chuck.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

System restore anr/or hybernation activated. Hybernation takes space on the HDD, as it stores all the data in memory on it when the comp goes into hybernation.