Customs: 'hard coating'

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MasterDeath, Oct 11, 2007.

1. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

Hi, I have just done a lil painting one a couple of transformers. when stuff clips togther or putting a missile in a launcher the paint chips a bit. What is the xact substance you guys use to hard coat the paint so it doesnt chip off? and is it sold in model shops or other? thanks.. oh and if anyone here is from the uk and can tell me the exact shop to get it from..that be great thx.

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use Krylon clear coat (gloss or satin finish) for an entire figure and superglue for little joints.

3. Autobot Punk

Autobot Punk Punk of the Autobot Type

thought superglue destroyed plastic?

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not when you put it over the paint but I always prefer krylon over it anyways.

5. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

I'm from the UK and havnt found anywhere that sells Krylon clear coat or fusion.

I tried the Plasticote equivelent but this came out in a splatter. (not a great finish)

Games workshop do 'Ard Coat and Purity Seal, these maybe ideal as they are for protecting delecate minitures, but I havnt tried these yet.

If anyone knows where to get hold of Krylon brand sprays in the UK please let me know. All I've been able to find are the Krylon Camo sprays for paintball weopons.

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Ditto. Us brits need this stuff too!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd say it depends on the superglue and it depends on the plastic. The formula for superglue actually does melt plastic on an atomic level. Depending on the strength depends on how well it melts plastic. Keep in mind that all superglue is diluted with water. If it wasn't, the photos on the box (you know, the classic car superglued to a beam) would actually work. However, for commercial use, it has to be diluted.

In reference to your question, you can also buy bottles of clear acrylic. Since I use paintbrushes almost exclusively (98-99% of the time), I use these some. With straight Testors acrylics, I've gotten to the point that I don't use anything nearly as much because of the number of coats I use between sanding.

I hope that helps :)