Happy Birthday and RIP Power Rangers - 16 years

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kickback, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The American-ized version of Sentai, known as Power Rangers, first aired on August 28th, 1993 as MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS. Five teenagers became tight-wearing superheroes on a badly dubbed Japanese footage clip show that transformed itself in to a kiddy soap opera for 16 years.

MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS
    MIGHTY MORPHIN' ALIEN RANGERS
    POWER RANGERS ZEO
    POWER RANGERS TURBO
    POWER RANGERS IN SPACE
    POWER RANGERS LOST GALAXY
    POWER RANGERS LIGHTSPEED RESCUE (same time ROBOTS IN DISGUISE aired)
    POWER RANGERS TIME FORCE
    POWER RANGERS WILD FORCE
    POWER RANGERS NINJA STORM
    POWER RANGERS DINO THUNDER
    POWER RANGERS SPD
    POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
    POWER RANGERS OPERATION OVERDRIVE
    POWER RANGERS JUNGLE FURY
    POWER RANGERS RPM

In 16 years of Power Rangers, we had:

- 96 different actors/actresses as Power Rangers
    - 2 evil Rangers (MIGHTY MORPHIN Green, DINO THUNDER White)
    - 2 teams of "evil" Rangers (Psycho Rangers, SPD A Squad)
    - 9 team-ups of previous Rangers with current Rangers
    - 4 American-Only Rangers (LIGHTSPEED RESCUE Titanium Ranger, JUNGLE FURY Elephant, Shark, and Bat Rangers)
    - 1 character be 4 different Rangers/colors (Tommy, MIGHTY MORPHIN Green, MIGHTY MORPHIN White, ZEO Red, DINO THUNDER Black)
    - 1 kid Ranger (TURBO Justin)
    - 11 Rangers from different planets (5 ALIEN RANGERS, 1 ZEO, 1 TURBO, 2 IN SPACE, 2 LOST GALAXY)
    - These colors (red, blue, black, white, pink, yellow, crimson, navy, green, purple, silver, gold, "shadow", "phantom", "quantum", "omega")
    - Well over 100 "zords"
    - 2 movies (MIGHTY MORPHIN THE MOVIE, TURBO THE MOVIE)

It's been confirmed, more or less, that POWER RANGERS RPM will be the final live-action season of POWER RANGERS. Sentai, of course, will continue as it always has. Disney is in the process of getting out of being the production behind Power Rangers and is looking to out-source the whole thing and taking in royalties and liscensing fees for the franchise. Entire offices have been dissolved in the UK and in New Zealand over the end of Power Rangers.

Starting with "POWER RANGERS NINJA STORM", the series moved from being produced in the United States to being produced in New Zealand. The show was originally scheduled to be cancelled at the end of POWER RANGERS WILD FORCE (the last episode was titled "The End of the Power Rangers"), however returning Power Rangers production team alum Doug Sloan was able to keep the franchise alive by showing how much cheaper it was to create it in New Zealand. It is believed in some circles that executive producer Bruce Kalish (POWER RANGERS SPD - POWER RANGERS JUNGLE FURY) pretty much ran the show in to the ground, literally taking the least amount of effort towards the end of his run as EP by more or less simply translating Japanese episodes and storylines, to the point that they were literally the American version of Japanese Sentai.

POWER RANGERS is rumored to continue by having MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS be completely re-mastered and re-aired over the course of the next year to two years (with an eventual DVD release?), while Bandai continues to release Power Rangers toys as "Power Rangers Super Legends", which proved to be successful releasing new versions of older Power Rangers toys.

So, happy birthday Power Rangers, and Rest in Peace.

(NOTE: If you haven't watched Power Rangers RPM, please look it up on YouTube and watch some of the episodes. The team really put a lot of effort in to "going out with a bang", as the story is one of the darkest, more mature Power Rangers shows to date, though it is currently the lowest rated Power Rangers to air since WILD FORCE).

2. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Why :( 

3. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was watching the pr when i was little and i can't belive it going to end like this:cry :cry :cry :cry :( :( :( :( :cry :cry :cry :cry :( :( :( :( 

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember watching the premiere "Day of the Dumpster" on Fox Kids. I got hooked when the original Megazord transformed for the first time. Watched the show regularly until Light Speed, as my local Fox station stopped airing it, mid season.

Lets hope that if the rumor of Disney outsourcing it is true, someone capable picks it up.

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Hasbro! Hasbro!

:D 

6. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    What about the Thunder Rangers in Ninja Storm....?:inquisiti 

Weren't they considered working for Lothor at somestage.:confused: 

Dosen't Bandai have the Toy rights?:inquisiti 

7. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Your count is off- the Green Ranger in Time Force was an alien; its an even dozen "Rangers from different planets."

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Plus there was also the Mystic Force Purple Ranger, who was evil.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    /sigh, was a great series. However I only watched PR through the first movie. Once they got the ninja stuff, I kinda lost interest. Even so, it was still a great show.

And I still got the helmet...

[​IMG]

10. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

...We will never forget!

-besides this could go like transformers, revive in a few years down the road completely awesome.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Wasn't Billy around longer than Tommy.(show wise)

I'll leave with this

I still <3 her
    [​IMG]

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

It's ashame that PR is going off the air after 16 years wowing their younger audiences and so forth and now its through. I sorta liked it, the zords, the plot, and the action. So that's my two cents opinion about that.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Aside from Trip, you also forgot Taizon from Operation Overdrive. I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out how envious I am that you can forget that show. The theme song still haunts me in my sleep. :( 

It is a pity that the show is ending, but I kind of doubt it will be gone forever. Like you said, Sentai's been rolling for over 20 years and isn't going away anytime soon. At some point it will likely be decided to take some of that footage and make a new Power Rangers series. In the meantime... well, I guess one can always watch Dragon Knight if they want some transported tokusatsu.

In any event, 16 years is a damn respectable run for a kid's tv show made up of dubbed-over fight scenes from a Japanese show. Power Rangers not only went the distance, but managed to outlive all of its imitators' lifespans combined (VR Troopers, Masked Rider, etc.). And, of course, it's also going out on quite possibly its best season to date. There are worse ways to end.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone should give RPM a chance. I generally am not into the Power Rangers side of things and I'm really enjoying it. :D 

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Didn't Bandai release a statement saying that there's still going to be a season 18?

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I havent been into Power Rangers since "In Space", but it sucks to hear that its finally over. You had a good run PR, and you made my childhood special.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    How could you leave out Orange!?

You should also mention that Power Rangers was the first (probably only) show to be adapted from a Japanese series, then re-dubbed back into Japanese.

Billy was in more consecutive episodes than Tommy, but Tommy was in more episodes. Incidentally, when it comes to number of episodes, the top two spots go to Bulk and Skull. They would have shared the top spot, if they hadn't removed Skull from Lost Galaxy.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Actually, I forgot one, too. Anubis "Doggy" Kruger from SPD. That makes 14 aliens.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I loved Lightspeed rescue.

20. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I was a real fan from "Day of the Dumpster" all the way to "Countdown to Destruction" didn't get back into it at all until I saw the advertisements for "Dino Thunder" but even then, only watched that series and quite again after it ended. Sucks, My dad was able to share Scooby Doo with me when I was a little kid, always hoped if I ever had a son I could share some variation of karate-chopping, giant robot riding, alien ass kicking teenaged super heroes with him. Without subtitles.