Happy 25th NES

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Starfire22, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    As the title says, this is a Anniversary/Memories thread, so if any of you guys(and girls) have any experiences with the worlds best system, please share here. I think i should start it off. It was 1990 i was 5, and my cousin came over to my house for the holidays, and brought over his NES for all of us to play with, and he introduced me to Super mario bros 3, my first introduction to the video game world, my mind was blown away, the Tannoki suit(i called it the raccoon suit back in the day:crazy: ) the levels, the goddammed fish level, everything about it was cool(except the fish levels), i got and NES the next year, but over the years however i slowly forgot about the NES, for other systems, but just recently i dug the console out of the attic, and played it again, and the memories slowly came back to me. Happy 25th NES.:) 

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Little Motherfucker was responsible for a great childhood with great cousins and friends. Kid Icarus, Zelda, and Mario FTW!

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Still have an NES hooked up. It's a shame to be grown up and know some of the seriously shady shit that went on behind the scenes back then. But as a kid, I didn't know and didn't care. Double Dragon 1 & 2 ate up more time than I care to remember.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Just last week I brought over the old NES from parent's house so my girlfriend could enjoy so side-scrolling action. Ironically, I've been playing it more than her.

I love that games which used to take me 8 hours or so to beat like Contra, Life Force, or the Marios now take 30 minutes to an hour.

I love that some games like Rad Racer and Iron Tank just remain unbeatable.

I heart the NES.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    it was this console that divided my cousin and I; our grandmother had won one at a raffle and she knew that we both wanted one, but he was the one that she gave it to. Funny thing is that 2 years later, my aunt offered to either buy an NES with no game or the Game Boy which at the time came with Tetris. I chose the Game Boy..... I think I got the NES about a year later. I still remember having to blow through the cartrigdes

6. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    NES is the reason I got addicted to Video Games.
    Three Cheers My Nintendo Buddy! Mario FTW!!! :thumbs2: 

This thread is incomplete without him...
    [​IMG]

Thanks for opening this Birthday thread Starfire22. :) 

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I believe it was the spring of 87 (maybe 88) when the best thing ever created found it's way into a young Optimus Vader's home. I got a handful of games with the system, but Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! pretty much stole the show for me.

I still have an original NES with R.O.B. and all the Gyromite and Stack Up pieces.

Who doesn't like lists? I'm posting my top five NES games. Feel free to join the list making :D 

1) Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (no intro or comment needed)

2) Super Tecmo Bowl (this game is the only reason the original isn't on this list--first game to incorporate stats, injuries, and the actual management feel)

3) Baseball Stars (customizable as hell. they didn't have the MLBPA license, but you could create as many teams as you wanted and create each player and customize their attributes. it also had some killer game play for it's time)

4) RC Pro-Am (so simple, yet so fun. sliding around those tight bends and collecting letters shouldn't be that fun, but it was)

5) Super Mario Bros 2 (yeah, the bastard child of the series--I loved it)

Keeping that list to only five was tougher than watching

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    Thanks man, i was kind of surprised i didn't see it on this thread sooner, and plus heres a present for you guys. YouTube - Oldskool NES commercial

and this for all you mario lovers.
    YouTube - Super Mario Bros. 3 video game commercial

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

The NES was amazing. Everytime you fire up your current gen systems, you should be thanking the NES.

Top 5 games- for me, in no order

Castlevania II- Simon's Quest- Bought it and beat it in 1 night. LOVE that game. An old school SOTN-esqe game.

GI Joe: A Real American Hero- Loved it. Lots of characters and guns

Batman: Return of Joker- Amazing game. (Shout out to the original Batman as well)

Super Dodge Ball- My brother and I played that game all the time

TMNT: The Arcade Game- Awesome game. Decent 8 bit port of the Arcade, plus extras.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Story Time. I actually don't know about this. Will it taint my image of those days?

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Will it taint your memories? Probably not. There should be nothing that changes how much fun you had with the system, or still do. It was more about Nintendo taking advantage of the times and using loopholes to their advantage.

This is all simplified versions of it, but I'm sure you can find tons of articles on it if you look around. Back then, there was little to no game regulation or fair trade practices related to video game distribution and licensing in the U.S. So Nintendo forced every developer releasing games in the U.S. to make their games exclusive to the NES. Meaning the Sega Master System couldn't get games from most other developers unless Sega got the rights to publish the title themselves, like Double Dragon. This didn't apply to non-U.S. markets, but Nintendo was making a major play for the north american game market.

Now that changed midway through the NES life cycle as the legality of those demands were challenged by developers. But it was already too late for the SMS. It was a bit shady, sure. But, like any company, they did what they could to ensure their product was desirable. And it worked and we all had fun regardless.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Interesting.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn that does make a lot of sense. I remember getting Double Dragon free from Sega via a mail-order. It's funny. I loved my NES, but it took one single commercial to make me change my tune. The first time I saw the commercial for Phantasy Star 1, I sold my NES and bought a Master system. I did notice that the same games weren't on both, but I knew nothing about exclusivity or any of that, I just cared that Space Harrier and After Burner were now playable at home, and that Phantasy Star was the coolest RPG I had ever played.

14. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

man NES was the heat..so much that i bought one off the bay w/60 games..man playin NES back in the day w/friends eat n puppy chow(chex mix w/peanut butter covered w/ chocolate and powered sugar) was da $#!+...man those were the days...what i wouldnt give to live as free as those days..w/o the reponsiblities of being a grown up..

15. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    cool sadly i am to young to own a nes but i have a snes!

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I still remember the first games we ever got for our NES back in the day.

1. SMB/Duck Hunt
    2. Legend of Zelda
    3. Bases Loaded
    4. Blades of Steel
    5. Mike Tyson's Punch Out

It gets a little foggy after that, but any one of those brings up instant nostalgia and childhood memories.

Also, this.

YouTube - Zelda Commercial

True story, this commercial was completely unknown to anyone except my brother and I until about 10 years ago when we ripped it off an old VHS of Fraggle Rock cartoons and stuck it on the pre-YouTube internet. I still have the tape too. Ah, the memories...

17. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Thanks Joe! :)  I never knew that. It sure explains a lot.
    I'm glad Sega kicked some Nintendo rears with their awesome Sonic The Hedgehog series. Gotta Speed Kid! Up, Over and Gone...

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can still remember when my parents brought one home for my sister and I. Super Mario Bros. and Excite Bike were really rad.

I miss renting games from the old Video 99 in Scarborough :( 

19. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Nothing shady on Nintendo's part in this fun fact, but I did read recently that the reason 95% of all Nintendo cartridges all looked the same with that distinctive gray plastic was that when a game was ported to the NES, Nintendo generally manufactured all the cartridges. There are some early Tetris NES carts that were not made by Nintendo that are more collectible because of that. I remember that one of my friends as a kid had the black, non-Nintendo Tetris cartridge, too.

20. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Those were Tengen games (owned by Atari at the time). Tengen was one of the first companies to break Nintendo's "Policy" and release unlicensed (by Nintendo) games. Tengen also produced games like Gauntlet, After Burner, Alien Syndrome and Shinobi for the NES. The ones in the black cases were "unlicensed" by Nintendo.