Hanna-Barbera Comics - by DC Comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ABH1979, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scooby-Doo Team-Up continues to be one of my favorite things to read every month. The sheer geekiness of the team-ups has staggering. It is so obvious how much the writer, Sholly Fisch, loves classic Hanna Barbers and DC. The current story (59 & 60 digital / 30 in print) has the Challengers of the Unknown, Sea Devils, Secret Six, Cave Carson (who doesn't know where rumors of his having a cybernetic eye came from) and Rip Hunter & the Time Masters.

Previously, we've seen: Plastic Man, Deadman, Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family, Green Lantern & Green Arrow, Top Cat, Secret Squirrel, the Super Friends, the Teen Titans, Space Ghost, G'Nort, the Space Canine Patrol Agents, and more....

• Like Like x 1
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget Scooby team has yogi bear.

[​IMG]

also atom ant, top cat and hong kong phooey was in the last few issues with dc heroes. Scooby team up is a fun book guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Also is that grape ape on the flash speed buggy cover?

6. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

For a while I thought that Blue Falcon was Injustice Superman.

7. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So after hearing good things about Scooby Apocalypse, I decided to read it this weekend.
    ... boy was I misinformed.
    Things started out OK, with Velma being a secret society's scientist and Shaggy being reimagined as a hipster, with Scooby talking due to him being part of a cybernetic enhancement program, and Daphne being an investigative reporter with Fred as her cameramen. Then a nanite-plague breaks out and people turn into monsters and the team elopes in the modified armored van Mystery Machine. So far so good, a neat alternate tale, if a bit more bloody than I expected.
    But 5 issues in the holes already showed, and eventually I found myself just skimming the issues, hoping for something to happen...
    SPOILERS - NOTHING HAPPENS. This thing is now 25 issues and we are no closer to knowing what caused the nanite apocalypse than in issue 1. But the worst thing is, the characters have done nothing either, but survive. It's basically The Walking Dead, with some really remotely similar looking people that resemble the Scooby Gang. They might as well have cast anyone else in the role, because the thing the Scooby Gang is known for, y'know... INVESTIGATING and SOLVING MYSTERIES??? Well, why did you think that'd happen? That'd mean this would actually resemble the show(s)! So nope, nothing like that happens. 15 or more issues in the writers realized everyone is bored of the main characters so they suddenly and without much searching find an enclave of survivors, so they can muddle around and not progress the plot for 10 more issues.
    The lack of plot progression btw, is what this show also shares with the Walking Dead... or LOST. Some of the infected monsters are intelligent and can talk, others can regenerate from being killed, as we learn from the first issues. What comes from this?

And then we have the other "writing 101" issue... repetition. After reading Velma and Daphne do the same back and forth "But you are responsible for the plague as are your bosses!" -"Na-ah, the four cannot be responsible, I am sure!" argument, and getting at each other's throats (literally... Daphne once knocks her out just for the heck of it, and Velma, while delerious, has a a hallucination where she allies with monsters and tortures Daphne to death)... Fred ambles around and is hopelessly in love with the violent psychopath Daphne who is liable to go off at the drop off a hat, and there is not much else to his character - he does not even build traps, sigh... Shaggy is the most likeable character, actually, since he is an overall mellow, nice guy who points out the failings of the others, not that they listen to him. Scooby, sadly, has no character - he reacts to things in short sentences but that's the extent of it.
    Other characters include a one-armed kid called Clifford (they blew it, they could and should have used Flim-Flam) who just hangs around with Scrappy, and yeah, Scrappy Doo... who is some incredibly aggressive, macho dog who had the same enchantments as Scooby, but considers him a reject and wants to kill him (I dunno what relation they have, if any). He later mutates to a more cartoonish appearance, except he is big and muscled. At one point he reconciles with Scooby (off-screen) and then promptly disappears from the story somehow.
    They are also running backup strips including Secret Squirrel, who is, not kidding, a real-life squirrel secret agent who brutally kills enemy agents, and is implied to have had sex with a fellow (human) agent... Yeah, classy.

All in all this is a trainwreck, made by the same sort people who think Robot Chicken is what retelling classic cartoons in a "mature way" is like. Me, I take Mystery INC over this any day of the week. Honestly, the comic could be renamed Walking Dead and the characters replaced, and nobody could tell the difference...

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

10. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really laughed hard when I saw Dastardly and Muttley comics.
    I thought it's a joke.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, when this happened, I facepalmed, HARD.
    Great Chtulho.jpg

Did DC put all its New 52 idiot writers from its regular comics to these HB ones? Because it is the same sort of "do anything, does not have to make sense or be interesting even remotely, and forget continuity even with your previous issue" as those did.

I read this one too. What a lot of nothing-burger!
    The post-apocalyptic society setting would have worked better if the characters were FOCUSED on that, not their everday lives. Mr Spacely was scum and had no comeuppence. And Rosie being the dead mom of George living forever as a robot was a super scary thing that should have freaked out everyone, but nobody cared...
    And they missed out big by not making the aliens the Great Gazoo's species.

This guy basically tested out inter-dimensional transfer on his friend... He is apalling. And yeah, just sticks out like a sore thumb next to a regularly drawn Batman.
    Hope this does not get its own comic. The south-american CGI movie captured the essence of Top Cat far better while also trying to be a bit more mature about the show.
    Considering that Rosie is actually the memory engrams of George's dead mother in a robot body... that is SO WRONG.
    Even worse that she seems fine with serving as their robot housemaid instead of moving on to an afterlife.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gaastra

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1