Customs: HALP! Paint removal not working

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by tabtiurf, May 11, 2010.

1. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Got an energon arcee and the paint just WILL NOT come off.

Soaked in alcohol for 2 days and toothbrushed vigorously... nothing.
    Nail polish remover... nothing.
    Goo gone... the tiniest bit of paint started to seem to smudge, but I think it's wrecking the plastic finish so I stopped using it.

The only thing that works is sanding, but it's a small figure and I won't be able to sand everything evenly. I think I'm just going to have to hope my spray primer will be able to cover it up and cling overtop of it.

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what concentration of alcohol are you using?
    sometimes 70% isnt enough

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You should be ok, as long as you have the top-coated paint apps removed (like the Autobot tampoed symbol) as those things can give you trouble when you paint a top coat over them (they tend to show through). I use 91% alcohol, patience, and elbow grease. Sometimes, depending on the paint apps, you have to soak the parts instead of just rubbing them off. I try to be very conservative with my paint removal as you can sometimes ruin a figure if you use really harsh chemicals (like straight acetone). Also, like for Arcee, the majority of the white parts are dyed into the plastic, not painted on it.

I really think that your primer coat should do the trick for you :) 

4. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

I was using 91%. Had the parts in it for 2 days straight, then pulled them out and scrubbed vigorously with a toothbrush, earbuds and a paper towel... nothing. And I mean NOTHING. I was scrubbing at black paint and the toothbrush's bristles didn't even darken. Most stubborn paint I've ever seen.

I've ended up sanding what I can and painting over the rest.