Halo Wars!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Just to let everyone know, Halo Wars is coming out TOMORROW. Anyone who has the Limited Collector's Edition, they get the Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack for free.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Shame the game is utter ass :( 

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I didn't want to pay for the special edition. I've got a bunch of Microsoft points I want to use, anyway. The game isn't bad, just the campaign is boring. (and the VAs and the stupid pop-up faces thing is so cheesy and annoying) Skirmish is fun, though, if basic.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pass with a huge "P". I thank the Demo for that.

5. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

And there was much rejoicing. "Yay." :|

6. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Being the Halo fan I am, I'm obligated to pick up the limited edition.

7. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reserved the LCE, can't wait to get my hands on it.

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I got the limited edition for £10. I can't complain at that ;)  I quite like it, the controls work well which is what I was worried about. The only thing I'd like is the ability to select unit types - as it stands, as far as I can see you can only select "all units" or "all units on screen".

9. shortround

shortround Banned

cant wait to get it

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to your reasons for that opinion.

I've played the demo a few times and really liked it. It really reminded me of Warcraft 1&2 and Starcraft in it's simplicity. Which I fully agree was the way to go for a console RTS. Especially considering it'll have 3 on 3 Matchmaking over Live.

Of course I've never really been a big fan of PC RTS games and the incessecant micromanaging involved. I just wanna build some units and fight. Halo Wars does that.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I like my RTS' to be a little more involved, at least on a base building level. Also it feels like (and I'm shamelessly cribbing this from Garnet Lee here) I'm playing with oven mitts on. Despite their claims of finally nailing console RTS controls it's still clumsy as hell.

The production values are great, it is very Halo, but unless it hits PC this is a big fat "meh" from me and not the swan song Ensemble deserve at all :( 

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Reserved the LE. I'm diggin' that boxart of the Arbiter dual-wielding swords too much to pass on. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make use of the mythic map pack, the flaming warthog and whatever the honor guard wraith is for a couple of weeks. Until my RROD'd 360 is returned to me from Microsoft.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess I am one of the only ones that actually like HW.

:( 

14. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'll be getting it. It's my entry level into RTS games. Something I've had an interest in for a long time but was always afraid to jump into. Since it's Halo it I'll have more of a vested interest in it. Once I finish it I'll be trying out some of the PC RTS' I've passed up on.

I'm very tempted to get the LE since I have all the past LE's of Halo titles, but I have no use for the mythic pack and that's one of the big draws of this LE (and I wouldn't want to sell the code either).

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well so long that if this RTS dissapoints you, that you don't use it as a basis to judge what all RTSs are like. Because it does get "a lot" better. I've played a few console RTS ports, and this doesn't bring anything new to the table.

This is kinda like the Matt Hazzard racing of RTSs. "Look boys and girls, an RTS with Halo people in it."

:) 

16. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I found Kane's Wrath on the 360 to control a lot better than Halo Wars. HW STILL feels weird to me.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They need to update Herzog Zwie. I loved controlling my troops, not with a mouse pointer, but with a Jet that transformed into a giant robot and helped out in the battle. Now if that jet could carry more than one unit, we'd be in business. Why didn't Sega add this to the collection? Jerks.

18. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    My limited shipped last night from amazon for release date delivery and will be waiting for me when I get home.

I played the demo once. I found it pretty simple, but my experience with RTS is limited to desktop tower defense games. And thats basically what I found: Halo Tower Defense!

So I'm not expecting something deep, but enjoyable. and it'll go with my other Halo collector editions.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Heavens no my good friend.

Having played the full game, it's very interesting. Deathmatch is quite intense when everyone just goes apeshit. The different units for each leader actually mean you have to use different strategies. (strategy, in HALO? BUHGAW!?)

Though it's cool to set it to easy inskirmish, max all you tech and just obliterate the AI. > : D

The maps are really cool, though, and the diversity in units is cool to have dude A and B team up on the offensive or team A with C and make them a defense force.

However: It is quite basic in controls and the movement is clumsy. The AI is dense even when you're constantly commanding them. Sometimes a Warthog will forget to shoot. It's also hard to put squads in formation for a stategic attack. Also, the campaign makes me cringe inside out. ("the voices! Oh God, I can still hear them!")

20. shortround

shortround Banned

i cant pass that level were u have to open the shelds in order dam flood and scarbs i better wait a fue days untill some one uploads a video on it