The Mega Construx Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by jestermon, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Eh, odds are slim on that for a while given Mattel is currently their parent company.

Still, no reason Hasbro couldn't revive Kreo in a similar manner. Save me cobbling together Joes from CoD figures if Hasbro were making their own. Just, you know, give the current build type a different torso build and ball joints in the ankles and call it an entirely different design at the patent clerk's office.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. unexistance

unexistance 60:1 scale human in Diaclone world

yup, a lost opportunity T_T instead we got Kre-O from Hasbro hahahah

3. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    ... Then they could make me some Battle Beasts from a similar build type.
    PWTT Animals of War_zpszxe5b3c3.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Man, I wish Hasbro had bought them instead.

Well, actually I wish they'd been bought by nobody, since as soon as Mattel took over customer service and distribution took a hell of a hit. (though distribution is usually more of a retailer issue, Mattel is known to fuck up with having shit ready to be shipped out at all. Hence the worldwide delay and difficulty finding sets versus spotty distribution) Plus I notice they do less large vehicle sets, but that could totally be Mega's choice to focus on more of an army-building and collector mindest since minifigs take up less space and are cheaper. I still wish they'd redo the Scorpion and PUHHHHHHH-HELLican! AAAHHHHHHHH! Last classic Halo vehicles I need.

Kre-O wasn't even bad, the brick quality was on par with Lego.

Problem is they had absolutely no one who had experience in building blocks designing the sets. That's why even though they had all the right pieces, and the quality to back it up, their sets were still goofy and lame as hell.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    To be fair, Hasbro can muck up things too by cutting costs in manufacturing and actual product quantity but somehow still justifying market price go up with excuses like the cost of oil in China.

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Implying cost cutting isn't done everywhere?

Hell, the only reason Halo Mega Bloks is still maintaining quality to their minifigs is because of how modular they are and mass-produced some parts are. In fact the lack of larger sets may very well be a result of cost cutting itself. Brick toys like Lego are generally unaffected by these things because of how relatively little R&D and new moulds go into them, but I've actually noticed the QC has gotten spottier on my recent purchases. Misaligned visors, obvious nub marks, and loose joints, that kinda stuff.

Inflation effects everyone, and there's signs of it everywhere. It's just more obvious with Transformers due to how few assets can be reused across lines. You may make jokes about how three or four figures in a line may be redecoes/retools of each other, but often times elsewhere entire action figure lines will be made on just one base body with few new parts. Or they're also marked up to ridiculous extremes as well. Or both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    QC in Mega has always been sketchy. I won't blame Mattel for that.

As for large sets, Technodrome, NMPD Pelican, the new drop ships for Halo and Destiny. It seems only CoD didn't get a carry handle case set recently and honestly, I bet I can still find a hovercraft at a TRU in state if I wanted to.

As for availability, I use Amazon as a reference. Brick and mortar stores will very in mileage due to any number of factors but Amazon, man, they always come through. And how many recent sets, that have released, don't sit around and eventually go to discount?

Yep, sure, Halo Blue Team. But typically, after the first feeding frenzy of "new!", things settle and settle, flatline and get discounted.
    Less than a year old:
    Amazon.com: Mega Bloks Call of Duty Anti-Armor Helicopter Collector Construction Set: Toys & Games
    And I bought three when they were more like half off not too long ago.

What I was getting at is that Hasbro is far from perfect. Anticipating that they'd handle the brand differently or even better is optimistic at best.

For all we know, they'd demand Mega go back to simpler articulation [GI Joe], cut back on accessories [Marvel] or limit distribution to only one store chain [TRU] and simplify yearly wave assortments. Then, if they did make, say a Joe line, we'd get the same five to seven characters in multiple colors.

Plus, no He-Man. And that shit's gonna be awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    For all we know, they'd be even less hands-on than Mattel. Afterall the company was bought intact, so I'm assuming that'd be the same under Hasbro. Plus we'd get all of Hasbro's properties instead. Your predictions are pretty unfounded.

Mattel really isn't any better than Hasbro in any of the regards you mentioned. Their forays into the 3 3/4 inch market were dismal, (like, comedically so) and their 6-inch DC figures, the rival to Marvel Legends, are not only worse when it comes to accessories, but the figures themselves are inferior in sculpt, articulation, plastic quality and paint. And they still use way outdated moulds prominently, wheras Hasbro at least updates the more prominent characters. Yet despite Mattel failing in every direct competition to hasbro, Mega Bloks is still good. Why would Hasbro be worse, then?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    And if I'd asked out that girl in high school maybe things would've been that I'd never have gotten into collecting toys in the first place. And, subsequently, not debating this now.

We can chase this hypothetical around and around and still be right here in the reality of it all. Mattel has the parent company ownership to the brand and are doing as they are with it.

I see in the images posted earlier three new lines in the realm of the collector's series. Why only a Spanish channel on YouTube seems to have posted the images, I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that if one of those gets made, it's because Mattel is the owner of the lP.

Will it get bumbled about, whither and die? Maybe. Will it get loaned out to Super 7 a year from now? Less likely... But it is happening for now and that we can enjoy.

It also seems the Star Trek isn't entirely dead. We never saw Next Generation Kreo sets so who can compare?

And also, you may be right in that Kreo may've failed because they lacked experience in brick sets and didn't invest in acquiring or developing that experience. But it wasn't their first venture down the brick road [Built to Rule]. So, they've dropped the ball twice for whatever reasons. That should speak for itself.

Finally and maybe this where I should've started, the simple fact is that for all this "what might've been" we debate over, nothing, absolutely nothing is stopping Hasbro from making their own brick sets right now using their own IP. The fact they aren't kinda lends to the idea that they have no desire to do so a third time.

In fact, i have said time and again that the Kreo line could've been a perfect medium for them to blend their two flagship boy lines in the crossover every fan wants to see happen. And yet, despite having both GI Joe and Transformers Kreo sets, never did they put the two together, did they? No... wasted opportunity, certainly couldn't have failed any worse than the attempts they made.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  10. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More fun

11. Suntzu28

Suntzu28 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are plenty of non brick build pokemon toys. Go buy them then.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You're getting all up in arms about debating this what-if when you seemed quite comfortable debating it until this point. Also remember I didn't even bring it up. I just gave my feelings on it, and if you didn't want to discuss it, you didn't have to.

But that doesn't really make any sense in the context of this conversation, since it's not about how Hasbro would make another brick line, it's about how Mega would under Hasbro ownership, with access to Hasbro IPs.

That's like saying because Mattel never attempted their own building block line, them buying Mega makes no sense. And yet they did. And that's not even part of the conversation. Obviously Hasbro was never interested in buying Mega, that's why it's a hypothetical conversation, dude. The conversation was simply "what would Mega be like owned by Hasbro?" That's all.

14. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    You seem to a infer a tone that isn't there. I am merely stating that it's really a waste of time to debate the matter at all. Hasbro doesn't have the property and since we haven't a crystal ball or cosmic cube, have no real reason to believe their handling of the property would be any better directly.

What we can do, however, is speculate based on conditions we have witnessed in their own history. Based on the failings of built to rule and Kreo and a current lack of either or a third attempt, it's safe to say they have no interest in pursuing building blocks of any form at this point.

To that, it may not be the "damn shame" that one's personal feelings on the matter would want to believe that they didn't wind up with the Mega Properties under their umbrella.

Now, I do find it unfortunate that just because I don't agree with your opinion, you seem upset. A debate is just that, two people agreeing is not. Emotion really has no place in this discussion.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  15. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    What are we even arguing about????

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    ???

Yet here you are, debating still.

Also, just because you think it's a waste of time, doesn't mean it actually is. And even if it was, where's the harm in that? You took a senitment so simple and so innocent and tried to make it out as some kind of bad thing.

Ah, a classic move. Even though it obvious I'm in no way upset at all, you want to seem like the "cool dude" who's not bothered by the conversation. Even though you keep replying to every post of mine.

I just made a post about how I thought it'd be cool if Hasbro owned Mega instead, so we'd see Hasbro IPs with the level of detail seen in Halo, COD, TMNT, etc. Like really, I just wanted Mega Bloks Transformers, and I thought that'd be awesome.

I immensely regret doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  17. unexistance

unexistance 60:1 scale human in Diaclone world

and it started with me T_T nevertheless it stems from MB awesome minifigs AND love of Hasbro properties

but that He-Man is tempting :D 

18. Sirtank

Sirtank Well-Known Member

He-man looks awesome, but what I'm really excited for was that Colonial Marine and Alien.

19. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    "Infer", not "under". Not sure what happened there. I'd blame autocorrect but my own lack of proofreading is ultimately to blame.

Splitlip, I don't know what else to offer. Good for you for having an opinion? Sucks for you it's based in fantasy? Hope someday your faith in Hasbro proves me wrong? Peace out, my brother?

Any of those band-aid it for you?

Moving on,
    From the information in the Mega Forums, it has been suggested that the figures shown in my previous post are part of their own Heroes series. Whether they are a collective batch or individual lines I do not know.

Personally, I hope that each will see at least a small run of primary characters like Terminator and the original Star Trek lines.

I also have no complaints if these wind up being Amazon exclusive lines [speculation] as at least that should be mean we'd all get a chance to own what we want of them. I have so many discounted spider tanks waiting to be built it's not even funny.

Further into hypotheticals, imagine if, like the recent Technodrome, one could buy four or five Greyskull sets and build a much larger castle from the bulk.

20. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Oh I want that Skeletor.............they can keep He-man though. Oh lord that hair at that scale. :lol 
    Really hoping they do a full line of figs. A pocket sized Merman or Mosquitor would just tickle me pink.

Hoping Predator is in the pipeline for the future.