Halloween 30th Anniversary DVD Collection.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Doug, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went to Best Buy yesterday to purchase the Halloween dvd collection and soon as I saw the price of $49.99, I said no way. I thought it would cost around $29.

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Isn't this the umpteenth release of the original Halloween on DVD? I wouldn't mind having it on BluRay but I hear the transfer they used blows.

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it is probably the 15th or 16th time they released the original. The reason why I looked into purchasing it is because they said the 2nd movie includes unseen footage. But I have all of the Halloween movies on VHS.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This is a lame set and I would advise against it. Since the Halloween franchise is owned by multiple studios, there's no way there will be a complete box set. This is just yet another repackaging of Halloweens 1 (blu-ray and extended cut), 4 and 5 and a retrospective dvd. And the mask looks terrible.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I'll eventually get the new Rob Zombie version on BluRay. Saw it in the theater. I thought it was pretty good. Better than the last handful of sequels by far.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    The only reason I didn't buy this new box set is because the only thing in it I need is the Extended Cut of H1, which actually isn't that great anyway, the brisk theatrical cut is the way to go.

I already have every other Halloween film on DVD, including the THX and Divimax versions of part 1, and the Blu Ray of part 1.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The three-disc is worth it for the special features alone. I -love- watching Zombie making a movie, his attitude as a filmmaker is absolutely inspiring. Been impressed with it ever since the Devil's Rejects documentary.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info Switch.

9. Switch625

I'll be picking this up on Blu-Ray when it comes out specifically for the special features. I love "making of the movie" documentaries. I'm a fan of Zombie's remake up until Michael returns to Haddonfield. After that, it's a complete rehash of Carpenter's version, only instead of Carpenter's subtlety, Zombie hits you over the head with a 2x4. And the kids were a million times more annoying so they deserved to die.

10. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

It's a decent set if you don't already own any of the movies in it, but that's about it.

I love Anchor Bay to death; they've released great sets of so many obscure horror flicks. But at the same time, they've released just about 10 different versions of Halloween and Evil Dead. It gets pretty tiresome, since each new edition contains maybe 1 additional feature and just isn't worth another $20 bucks.

The extended edition of Halloween was a nice gesture which I appreciate, but the additional scenes add little to the film and hinder the pacing a bit. You have to keep in mind that these scenes were filmed during the production of Halloween II for the television broadcast of Halloween on NBC as a means to make up the lost time for the violent scenes cut by censors. They were conceived as a filler so that's really all you're getting.

I already own DVDs of Halloween 1-8 plus the Producer's Cut of Curse of Michael Myers (which makes for a far more coherent film than the Theatrical Cut), so I have no desire to buy any of them over again.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found it misguided but watchable. :D  I actually think it could've done with some tightening up of the opening sequence. Malcolm McDowell factor really won me though, hehe.

It's kinda like, the movie has problems I can bring up, but since the director isn't a jerk + really seems to give a shit about the art and process of film-making (albeit in his own way)...that doesn't actually bug me much. Really looking forward to listening to his commentary and such to see some of the intent of the bits I didn't like. Close as I'll get to discussing it with him in person. :lol 

12. Switch625

I agree about Anchor Bay. Without them, Halloween and the Evil Dead films probably wouldn't be as popular as they are these days. I've got the Book of the Dead version of The Evil Dead and I'm very happy with it until a box set of all three films are released on Blu-Ray.

Where did you get the Producer's Cut of Curse?

13. DrSpengler

Ebay. The version I got is strange. The quality of the print for the Producer's Cut is pretty rough. The person who put together the version I have painstakingly substituted all the scenes that were shared with the Theatrical Cut with the better quality footage from the Theatrical Cut DVD. So the movie is constantly fluctuating in picture quality.

The opinion of this version of the Producer's Cut (it's a very widely spread version, too) is pretty divided. I like it, myself. The fluctuating picture quality allows me to pinpoint exactly which scenes differ from the Theatrical Cut. It doesn't take long to get used to the fluctuating quality, either.

There are versions out there that are just the straight up Producer's Cut without the fancy editing, but with those it's basically just one grainy flick from start to finish rather than a flick that's only grainy half the time.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really used to like Halloween. Then after all the horrible sequels the only ones I really like are 1,2 and H20. The rest just leave a sour taste in my mouth. I don't know if it exists, but I would love a box of those 3 alone.

15. Switch625

I actually prefer Halloween 4 and 5 to H20. H20 comes off more like Scream than Halloween, which is weird since Scream was inspired by Halloween.

I found the Blu-Ray of the Zombie Unrated Halloween today. I'm about 20 minutes into the 4.5 hour documentary and it's really, really good. Totally worth the double-dip, not counting the upgrade to Blu-Ray.

16. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

In case this was never addressed the 30th Anniversary Collection is $62.99 at Amazon. The reason it's so much is because it's 3 movies plus a Documentary plus a bonus disc.
    I liked Halloween 1 and 2 the best. I thought 4 and 5 were good. Perhaps 4 more so than 5. I never saw Curse. I liked H2O and I haven't really seen Resurrection but it doesn't look all that good. I have not seen nor do I ever plan on seeing the new Rob Zombie Re-invention. I think it takes away from the original horror. Whereas I do like Malcom McDowell as the choice for Loomis I think the rest of the movie just becomes your standard issue slasher film. It's way to overly gory. Which destroys the point of the first Halloween I think. The first one was able to scare you but not use that much blood. Whereas Zombie uses the gore-factor to gross you out and to scare you. I'll stick to the originals.

17. DrSpengler

The big climax of the movie features Busta Rhymes screaming "Trick or treat, mutha fucka!" and then ninja fighting Michael Myers...and WINNING.

So yeah, it's very easily the worst film in the entire series.

18. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I think the 3rd one holds the title of "Worst Halloween movie" since it had nothing to do with Myers.

19. DrSpengler

Well, I'm one of those weirdos who enjoyed Season of the Witch. Carpenter's original vision for the franchise was an anthology series of Halloween-themed films. Moustapha Akkad tore the rights out of his hands after Season of the Witch and we wound up with a dull, predictable slasher franchise that eventually became so convuluted it had to be partially rebooted in 98 and then fully rebooted in 07.

Carpenter's original vision seemed much more creative and could have lead to some interesting flicks. I'd honestly trade Halloween 4-Resurrection for the lost potential of Carpenter's Halloween series.

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Somebody told me the Carpenter's Halloween is based on a novel and Carpenter and the Zombie remake is the only two that followed closely to the book. I never heard about the Halloween movies based on a novel.