1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Simple observation at this year's BotCon at various booths, I'm amazed at how little (if at all) people haggle over price. More often than not, I saw people either pay the price on the sticker or what was quoted to them or just ask what a price an item had and then walk off in disgust without even talking about it.

It even goes for the dealer's side too. Case in point, I tried to buy a Punch/Counterpunch from a guy there at the Con. $55 for the figure was the price tag. While a fair price, I wanted to save money, so I lowballed the price for $40. The guy wouldn't take it, so I came up to $45. Hesitated, no dice. $50. Just FIVE DOLLARS from the asking price, a fair compromise. The guy then responded "No, the price is on the toy." No wonder there weren't many people buying stuff from him.

I saw people buying stuff for outrageous prices without even stopping to think about the price. Didn't even question it. The more money you save with one purchase, the more you have to spend on another, maybe even at the same table. Out of all the figs I got at the con, I think I dealt with only 3-4 dealers, because I felt they were fair. Each one I hit multiple times, because they would talk. They got pretty much what they wanted, I got pretty much what I wanted.

A collectible is worth only what the buyer is willing to pay. A dealer usually sets the price he would like to have out of it, sometimes a few dollars higher. It just makes sense. When dealing with each other, communicaton between the dealer and the buyer is key, as is being reasonable.

I just can't understand how flippant people can be with their money. I mean yes, it is their money, but be smart about it. Anyone have any other similar observances?

2. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    EXACTLY. And that's why you probably saw lots of people not haggling. They saw a price and were happy with it. Lots of dealers I'm sure would start to get annoyed if everyone constantly tried to haggle - although come Sunday afternoon they're probably ready.

I mean, I'm like you - I haggle. I turned one down when he came down in price. Another guy went down from $65 to $50 on a dirty Dreadwind, complete, but headmaster was missing the bottom legs. I just cleaned him up, and he looks freaking awesome now. I'll probably never find those bottom legs though ;) . Not to mention all the haggling I did with Megamus this year hehe.

But the point is, like it's mine (and yours) prerogative to save a few bucks where possible, some don't want to bother with it. Their prerogative is to just have fun and pick up some toys.

Lots of people would say even spending $1 on a plastic toy was being flippant. It's all in the eye of the beholder. And yeah - some people definitely paid way too much for some things (to me).

3. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Oh I know, I was talking from a Collector's perspective in my previous post. Obviously many people think collecting anything is a waste of money. QFT for everything you said, too, except that I think it's a natural part of being a dealer, haggling. It may get annoying, but that's why in my opinion there's the word "deal" in dealer.

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    It didn't even cross my mind to haggle for prices to be honest. I think I was in a Botcon high the entire time. Plus most of my Botcon hauls were through trades. One item (Sonic Bomber's micromaster) I knew I didn't care about how much I had spend because I've been looking for the piece for five years.

5. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Same here. I think I attempted to haggle about some Animated stuff Friday morning, didn't get anywhere and gave up.

Most of my buys/trades this year were from friends (thanks to all!).

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

People don't haggle anymore. Most people don't even know what the word means anymore (they don't know what the hell the words love & friendship mean anymore either but that's a different story :mad ). Try using "best offer" on Ebay. It simply does not work! There's a Submarauder Pretender on Ebay right now, BUY IT NOW $40. So I sent in a offer for $30. Instead of the seller sending a counter offer he simply declined it. I sent in offers for some other auctions & the sellers simply ignored them. I had to send the seller an email explaining that I put in a low offer so he could send a counter offer.

Here's my favorite, a seller had a Beast Wars Spittor for sale, Buy It Now $4.99. I put in a $2.00 offer expecting a counter offer somewhere in the middle. I was planning to pay around $3.50. He never responded, so I sent him an email asking him why he never sent a counter offer. He told me that my offer was low-ball & insulting. I told him if he was going to be so sensitive & have his feelings hurt like a little girl than he shouldn't put "best offer' on his items.

NOPE, haggling simply doesn't work anymore.

7. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    EXCEPT on the club boards here, hehe.

Or am I one of the few that when buying/selling to board members negotiates prices on everything I buy, and everything I sell?

8. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I disagree, except for the Japanese brothers, I haggled on just about everything in the hauls thread. On the reverse side, I was always willing to let someone haggle and accepted a lot of them. As a matter of fact when they bought several items I came down on the price without them having to haggle. I think people should expect to get a discount if they bought several items. Also, if someone is a repeat buyer I take care of them. I think you just didn't talk to the right people. You can ask people who bought from me and they will tell ya.

9. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

U know we Love repeat Customer, and we do take care of them.

Most of the new items we had for sale this year Most people like the price and took it. It the price on the old g1, g2 and beast wars that most people just asked and if they did not like the price walked away. I think that cause those are the new people in the hobby that think because it's an 10 or 20+ year old toy it sold for nothing. For me and for other I think they take in the price on ebay and how much shipping will cost them, and if they can get it for anything less than that they jump on it. WE see more and more of the ebay seller charging outright double or more for shipping than it does cost them to ship the item. Most dealer know me and give me a discount price from the start. Or they will throw something in for free.

10. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah - dealing with Megamus is always a good deal.

Oh, btw - I totally needed that Apeface shield. It's super sexy.

11. Uncrazimatic

Uncrazimatic Uncrazimatic Bore

i thought the young fellows over at decepticon-matrix booth on the back side were pretty cool.. you didn't even have to haggle with them, the guy knows his prices and would lower them on the spot. i got a minty complete g1 bruticus (all metal figs except for brawl for $80 on friday) and 6 minibots @ $5 each and they were in great condition. he had tons of g1 combiners and g1 stuff at great prices and even gave in to a lot of hagglers.. he sold a working skylinx in pretty good condition for like $30-$35!

i got a visual works art book for $30 and nike marine magnus for $40 from the japanese table when i told him thats all i had left. the magnus was going for $50 from him and $60 from his partner!

there was this one table in the second row, the guy had a million decoys but wouldnt budge on the price even after i got like 4 of them at $9 a pop.. that sucked.. and when i got home the MISB wst prime/megs set i got from him was opened.. i forgot to check the other side lol.. but i got that for $15 so that wasnt too bad.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Haggling is a lost art. I did very little of it. For some reason I didn't think of it. At most I gave a hesitant "hmmm" then waited for the dealer to give me another price.

With the amount of Animated toys flooding the room on Sunday, I should have said "I'll give you $12!" for some of those deluxes listed at $20, just to see what they would say. :lol 

Off topic

megamus or gen1fan. I bought a loose movie Prime from someone at your table. I dealt with someone else, not you either one of you, so It could have been his Prime, but he said it was complete. Anyway.

It was missing the armor on the right shoulder. I'm sure it would be a needle in a haystack with the amount of stuff you guys had, but if you happen to come across it in passing and remember, I'll pay to have you send it to me. But obviously don't go out of your way, it's not a huge deal.

13. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know if I mentioned this before, but a dealer was selling deluxe Animated for $16 apiece and I asked him if he'd be willing to sell me 2 for $30. He said no and that $16 each was as low as he'd go. So I only bought the one to tide me over until June.

And megamus is great. Got a nice, complete Punch/Counterpunch off him for $35.:D  Like he said, the price was better than eBay. Too bad I somehow lost my ticket to the raffle.:( 

14. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn! I missed that. Or maybe I did see it, and was thinking I had spent too much already...

15. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know I did not have any movie toys for sale, and I do not think MegaMus did either. SO I'm thinking it was Insane Galvatron you may want to send him a pm

16. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Let me also say Megamus and Gen1Fan are good people and nice to do buisness with.

I got my last G1 Dinobot Sludge, with tight ass arms wich is a big deal to me and it had all the weapons for $45. No need to hagle, he said $45 and I said sold!

17. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didnt haggle at all as being my first botcon, so i really didnt try. I was just happy to be there. I really got some good deals anyways and most of the stuff i got were around or lower than what i would pay on ebay. I did pay 60 for alt camshaft to complete them and that is the most i had to spend on one alt, but other than that i was happy with what i got.

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    If im going next year, Im so going to haggle. But mainly because I only miss expensiv stuff so always nice to haggle those down a bit.

anyone see Piranacon giftset or Computronn ? THe US version. I know I saw atleast 1 Piranacon US in some booth.

20. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I saw a Piranacon giftset....only $1200!