Had a nice little victory today...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 12, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So I was working backroom at Target today, just doing the push and a few CAF pulls every hour. While I'm out pushing I hear a call come from my buddy in electronics asking for a pull for a guest. He gives one of us the DPCI, and the guy that was doing the pull said "Transformer?" to confirm that's what he was pulling, after the confirmation he asked how many, buddy says the guest wants five, and the other backroom member says he'll just bring the case. I, realizing just what was going on, chimed in "If that's DotM stuff don't pull it, street date". The other backroom member asked my friend in electronics if he heard that, he confirmed and said the guest wanted to know the street date, I gave it and that was that.

Talked to him later and he thanked me, since he also had a good idea of what was going on (though he was not aware of the street date). Guest was a scalper, trying to get the figures early to sell for a nice profit.

So not only did I FINALLY get to stop a scalping scumbag (I'm sure I've posted threads and rants on here about how much it sucks working retail and having to watch those assholes do their dirty business and not be able to say or do anything about it), but I also got to enforce the street date. Win fucking win for me.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    NGW you sir win the internets all of them! I salute you! *salutes*

3. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    What kind of idiot would scalp toys 5 days before release?

4. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    a douche idiot

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well the question is, what kind of idiot would buy the scalped toy 5 days before the release? The answer, you would be surprised.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    *bows* thank you, thank you.

It just..it felt damn good. I've had to just watch all of our new stock get bought up as soon as it goes out sometimes because of obvious scalpers (seriously, this one guy we get couldn't be any more obvious with his intentions without outright stating them) and it really gets to ya that you can't do anything. So just finally getting that sweet victory over them...so good.

7. FiendForTF

FiendForTF Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how do you know he was scalping? there have been tons of members that want the TFs early. just because they can afford 5 doesn't mean they're scalping.

i dont understand why workers at these retail spots are so protective of their inventory.

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know why collectors can't wait for the release date when there will be an abundance of them.

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

gonna go ahead and say its a safe bet to say he was.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Well I did say preventing the figures from being sold early was also a nice victory point as well.

But just going off what I know, heard, gathered, it was a scalper.

11. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :thumb 
    :bowdown: 

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It gives them a sense of power that they most likely would not experience outside that environment. A sale is a sale regardless of the reason. I can't wait for the 16th so these 'super awesome righteous I saved the universe' posts will be irrelevant.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Eh. The man did his job. Nothing wrong with that.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Or, you know, because I give a damn about my hobby and the place I work?

QQ more.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    NGW has his reasons for believing the guy is a scalper and he's probably right. But this is a fair point. He only asked for 5 TFs, not a whole case? That's a drop in the bucket. I intend to be buying more than that when I walk into Wal-mart next week, and that's only buying 1 of each for myself. (Skyhammer, Shockwave, Megatron, Barricade, the Prime/Comettor pack, and all of the HA Basics)

edit - for the record, I approve of what NGW did, I just think 5 is a low number for any scalper

16. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    scalper or not, he chose to adhere to the street date. though it does say do not put on shelf, not do not sell.

i went to several targets in chicago and asked ppl for certain dcpi numbers and had no problem getting these figures weeks ago. i didnt scalp though, i helped others out.

but to me, if i go to target.com and search for these items and the site says a certain store has them, even though the site says preorder, but will be available the 16th, i take that as its not available online.

so as a customer if i do a store locator and my nearest target says its available, as does the red look up computer say its instock, to me a street date means shit. if the site and store computer say you have it but cant sell it to me? makes no sense.

yeah i get it, i get it, im just making a point. i guess if u really wanted to you could throw a stink about that.

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't had to mess with Target this time around. My Walmart's keep leaving their street date pallets on the floor at about midnight. I've bought a cyberverse commander, a voyager and a 4 deluxes. I'm not a scalper I just like transformers, there sitting their to be had, and it's let me split the cost between two paychecks so whatever

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    IIRC they actually do say do not sell, though it's been a little while since I've been in the downstairs stockroom (where we have the toys) since we've had them.

Helping others out is cool and all, but I just don't feel right when it's taking them from the back before they're supposed to be stocked and sold. Once they hit the shelves and it's fair game for everyone, then by all means. Just try and save some for someone else, especially the kids.

As for this, you really couldn't. Our STL would much rather have a pissed off guest than a pissed off supplier/corporation. Same deal with things like games or movies accidentally hitting the shelf before the street date. People just assume that we have to sell it to them since it's on the floor when fact is, we don't and our boss would side with us over the guest on that every single time (same goes for items placed in the wrong location with a cheaper price on the shelf, we don't have to adhere to it).

19. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Dont get ticked off at the target employee, these guys have to follow the rules set by their bosses. I for one would not want to get disaplined or fired because some moron cant wait for the street date.

20. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :thumbs2: