Hacking/Glitching in games - Whats the point?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Any game with a multiplayer option seems to always draw out those who want to cheat to win - but what I don't understand is why is it so important to win at a game? Do you get cash? Does your penis grow? Do you lose weight?

I've never ever read a valid or even comprehensive reason as to why people get more enjoyment out of ruining the experience than the gaming experience itself.

Congrats you've cheated and won countless games on Call of Duty, you're now level 100, but so what...what's the rush and where is the pleasure?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    can't say for all but some do it just be the great ( insert the name of your homeland here) Bad ass. They think it makes them better than any one else since they can beat the system.

Some perhaps do it to make up for being lousy at the game.

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

it actually adds 3% penis growth. still though, it's not a significant difference.

But I agree, conduit was ruined b/c of it. blizzard is going after cheaters in starcraft 2, and I hope they sue the pants off them. I don't have issues with people breaking their individual contracts with online gaming services by modding their console, but when modifications/hacking interfere with the right of others to play fairly, then there's a real problem.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Um, yeah. The only 'glitch' i can think of that i would even consider as legal is the RNG glitch in Pokemon, which is necessary to have good pokemon to battle with.

The only time you should hack/glitch in multiplayer is when you're...um, 5 yrs old?

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Really? Really?

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I’ve never understood it myself.
    It’s not that I’ve never exploited a game to raise my level or whatnot, but I sincerely don’t understand why people use exploits just to ruin other people’s games.

7. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    When it comes to online cheating, all I see it as is just a dick-waving contest.

"Look at what I can do! lol they so mad."

Ha ha. No. That is absolutely not necessary and is still a glitch/cheat. It's just an excuse for people who are lazy.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'll never understand the people who use lag in street fighter. i mean why? why are you even playing the game?

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actively avoid MP games that can be exploited so readily. I know I suck, but I want to suck fair and square.

I used to play Motorstorm: Pacific Rift multiplayer, it had an exploit that if you crashed in certain places, you would be teleported forward to a respawn point, usually gaining several seconds. Not fun if you played fair. The developer, Evolution Studios, wouldn't or couldn't fix it, perhaps told by their overlords to work on a new game instead.

10. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, god, this.

I was in a FPS mood a couple of days ago, so I pop in The Conduit for a round of fun (after waiting about 30 min to actually get into a game).

There was no fun to be had. At all.

The only reasons that I can think of that would make someone do this is either because they think it'll make them cool or they think their funny. The former couldn't be farther from the truth and they must live pretty miserable lives to find it funny.

11. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    First I'd like to point out I discern a difference between cheating and glitching. Cheating is worse because it involves some nefarious tinkering or modifying the game. I.E. the cheater changed something outside of the normal game environment that is unique to that user for an advantage. Glitching on the other hand is simply using an error in the game that is available to everyone as an advantage.

I do not condone cheating at all. It is messed up and really ruins the online experience. The intentions were there all along to get 1-up on everyone.

With a glitch, everyone has equal opportunity to use it. Even if its not intended to be used by the developers, it is as much a tactic as which weapon you choose or where you hide. Its cheap, yes, but available to anyone with that particular skill.

Both methods are abused when the chance is given obviously. Cheaters should be dealt with by bans or reset stats or whatever. Glitchers should not be punished though. The solution to that is to FIX THE GAME.

I assume both methods are just a way to ego-boost for the abuser.

12. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Glitches should be suspended for. Fix your game is not an excuse. And not everyone has an equal oppurtunity to exploit these glitches, it takes knowing someone or knowing where to look to find them. Using a glitch to gain an advantage is clearly written into the Xbox Live ToU and Code of Conduct to be a bannable offense. It's also in most games EULA.

Microsoft will hand out suspensions and/or bans for exploiting glitches.

The MW2 Javelin glitch had people getting suspended and the second map pack had a glitch to get into a piece of geomotry, you couldnt be shot but you can kill from it and people are getting suspended for exploiting it.

Bungie has been doing credit resets and credit suspensions (one to two weeks) for exploiting the Challenge Reset glitch. This doesn't just happen in normal gameplay.

Cheating is hard to get ahead of, especially in the CoD games. Part of the code causes players to be "infected" with the mod. Most modders/cheaters use thier modded system in system link and then go online to host games and/or infect other players. Its gotten to the point where players are wiping other players stats and then asking for $20 or 1600 Allards to get thier stuff back.

13. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I disagree that glitches should a suspendable offense. It's in the EULA, ok, that doesn't make it wrong or right. All big companies write those strictly to cover their ass.

The fact is most glitches are found by mistake with common button sequences or normal operation of the game. So when I'm getting frustrated and hit all the buttons at once and I get a power up through no mis-deed, I should be suspended or penalized? That's crazy.

So some people know about a glitch and others don't... that's not an excuse either. Some people know where to hide and how to use the weapons to their advantage in the game. Knowledge of the tactics is what gives the advantage. But in the end every player has the ability to do it.

Plus anyone playing online can sure find how to do the glitches pretty quick with a few keystrokes in Google.

The only fair and just way to deal with glitchers is to fix the glitch in the game. They do it constantly as proof.

When you mention previous examples of glitchers getting banned I see that as a cop out for the companies. I suspect they did that as a quick, temporary solution until they were able to permanently fix the real problem. Of course some companies are just harsher to their own players than others and it's a fine line between glitching and cheating. (no line to some people apparently.)

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    There is a difference between finding a glitch accidentally, and repeatedly exploiting said glitch because it gives you an unfair advantage like the MW2 Javelin glitch.

One is purely accidental and doesnt hurt anyone, the other hampers the enjoyment of the game for others.

15. McBradders

People for glitching usually means they can't win any other way :( 

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about glitching achievements....

17. McBradders

Fair game. Obviously.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Asking why people cheat is like asking why people lie.

They just do.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Exactly.

I love finding glitches in campaign, for example, like getting out of the map and going places you're not supposed to go.

Glitching as an advantage is just weak and a dick move. Like the people who were resetting the daily challenges in Halo: Reach.

I prefer easter eggs myself.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

It's annoying as heck. I remember how I used to have so much fun with Mariokart DS before these idiots starting snaking all over the place. Nothing like taking all the fun out of a game or anything.