Habrasia

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Mar 31, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Why exactly is Hasbro doing exclusive everywhere but United States exclusives?

My brain doesn't quite comprehend the strategy being employed here.

Because, in one aspect. I suppose, that it is cheaper to produce figures elsewhere in a terms of outsourcing, in places where they don't have to worry as much about if it is even going to hit retail or not. It also makes me wonder if there is a weird importation thing going on that, "Well, if it isn't going to sell in a American market, lets sell it elsewhere, and if American buyers want it -that-badly they will pay the premium." or something like that?

I really have no idea, but it somewhat frustrates me to no end, because of these alleged repaints that actually seem pretty nifty, coming out in Asia/Canadia/everywherebut the United States. IE: Laserbeak. Just saying.

So, can someone explain it to me?

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Those repaints to which you're referring specifically are Asia only.

And the fact that in foreign markets they're not bullied by volume retailers into supplying product at rock bottom prices is probably a factor.

More generally, foreign markets don't have things nearly as good as some people here perceive.

...and w/o naming names, there have been plenty of exclusives in the US, probably even desirable ones, that were not released in just about every other market Hasbro operate in.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It's nothing about production and import/export, since they're all manufactured in China and Vietnam.

Most mainline figures have better distribution in North America, and we've talked ad nauseum about prices of toys outside of North America. So why not give overseas fans something exclusive to them? They deserve it.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there's plenty of US exclusives. Many are exclusives to specific store chains,and the rest are ones that people don't know are US-exclusive until the word comes down from Hasbro Europe, Asia, etc. that they won't be carrying that toy - or entire line.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Isn't the Asian economy doing quite well at the moment? I'd be slinging them a load of nice stuff too if I was a company that had things to sell.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Entitlement much?

The U.S. pretty much gets 99.9 percent of every main figure ever made and 99.9 percent of every repaint and retool. Come to Europe. What I get to see is more like 1 percent and at twice the price.

7. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Hasbro wants to give America TRANSFORMERS PRIME toys and more Bumblebees

8. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    cause Hasbro hate usa and no one buys the exlusive products! think about when the movie line come out with those exlusives no one bought heree!

9. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Country where the product itself is concieved, possibly having more figures for cheaper?! Whaaaat? o_O ;

10. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    but seeing how the USA econemy it should be cheap right????

11. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Actually, when Hasbro's investor report came out months ago, it stated that their sales were very strong and grew % wise in Asia than the US. So, it would be wise for Hasbro to pay more attention to its foreign markets.

12. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    are they still coming out with exlusive here in the states still!

13. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I don't see why not, but I think the good old days of finding every wave without issues is over. Even the online stores are having issues receiving product from Hasbro. If you are a Marvel Legends collector you know what I mean.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Hasbro hates the USA. That's it. Did you eat lead chips or live next to a powerline?

On topic:

If you are referring to Wal-Mart exclusives, people did buy them. The problem is that Wal-Mart ordered about 1,000,000,000 Optimus Prime exclusives and there's no way they're going to sell that much. I remember seeing walls of those things at my Wal-Mart and they never budged. There's still some cluttering the pegs to this day. The Sideswipe exclusive did sell out on the other hand, as did the Bumblebee one (this is just what I observed at my Wal-Mart). The cyberverse pack with Rodimus in it sold pretty well too.

TRU exclusives seem to sell well - Rage Over Cybertron, MP Rodimus, MP Grimlock to name a few. The scan series deluxes even sold out, though it took a while.

Exclusives do sell, unless a retailer just orders a glut.

15. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe in your area. There has always been issues as far as the last ten years are concerned unless you live in a huge city or the west coast.

16. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Phantom comic was conceived in the USA but is more popular and sells well everywhere else. What?

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

17. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, here comes the, "If I don't get it you must hate me" pity party. Wow, Asia gets an exclusive and suddenly hasbro hates the USA. I guess next time the USA gets an exclusive we should consider that as hasbro hating on everyone else?

18. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Honestly, if certain figures wind up heavily desired, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hasbro reuse some of the same ideas over here in a slightly different color or even just in different packaging. "Exclusive" sounds like a pretty absolute word, but it's not. Companies have a way of getting people stuff they're willing to pay for. It was probably some stuff they came up with ideas for and then didn't have a good place to put them in their current plans so they decided to slap "Asia exclusive" on it to make a market feel special for a little while.

Don't freak out. Very few toy availability problems are not ultimately solved by patience. A few may slip through the cracks, plans change, retailers interest is fickle.. but if it's awesome and everyone wants it, it'll probably show up somewhere.

19. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Here's a thought, maybe US retailers were lukewarm on the idea of these repaint/retools, and passed on it, deciding to focus on TFP, which is on TV, instead of a line of repaints with no media support, and with characters the mass market probably isn't familiar with.

20. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    That seems pretty likely too.