Minor/Repaint: HA Bumblebee & HA Sideswipe update

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fateastray, Sep 8, 2009.

1. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

So I've got my hands on HA Bumblebee. The yellow was really really ugly. It was a pretty straight forward repaint. Drybrush the robot parts, put copper details here and there and make all the yellow into a goldish tint. I put the car in a clear gloss coat.

As the coat dried, some dust stuck onto it. I decided to go with it, because BB would've gotten dirty from driving around the desert of Egypt the entire time. I put some reprolabels for atmosphere on the hood, under his chin and on his shoulders.

A small update for Sideswipe, an autobot logo on his hood and on his forearms. I guess Ravage shows a little clearer here, although I'm having problems with getting my camera to focus =/

Teaser: My Starscream project, expect a topic for this guy soon.

note! I discovered some still-yellow parts on BB as I upload these pictures, so no need to point out if you see them.

Aside from that, feel free to comment!

EDIT/UPDATE: New Colours. The Sideswipe pics are gone, I forgot which ones they were =p

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    while I don't understand the goal here, seeing as the HA BB's colors are quite accurate to the actual car/movie robot mode's colors; You did a good job of painting on it.

3. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    WTF-Bomb???

I actually love My HA BB's colors. :( 

still though, for whatever you were going for...nice job. :thumb 

4. fateastray

Oh, there wasn't much of a goal, I really despise the plastic-look. If you look closely, there's a slight pearly shine, but still, it's too subtle. Still, even if the factory paints are good, I value my own touches more. I really liked how the reprolabels add to the figures. Given, movie accuracy is sacrificed.

And...

...I'm sorry for saying I didn't like the original toy's colours...

5. metallichemist

metallichemist Well-Known Member

I feel the body color for BB is a tat muted and the car stripes can be better painted :) 

6. fateastray

As for the stripes, I just masked them off, and painted around it. It's a little too bad the outlined stripes had to go...

I'm considering of redoing the yellow/gold with a more vibrant gold/yellow..

7. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

If his head were blue he'd make for a pretty good Goldbug I think. :) 
    Still, as it is I think it's pretty cool.

8. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

aw man... I was gonna reveal my Gold HA BB today! These pics make me wanna go back to fix him up a bit. But I guess it'll be okay, since mine has some differences compared to yours.

Other than that, great job dude! Really like Bumble-pimp! :lolol 

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    This would improve the look IMO. The paintjob looks pretty smooth but I'm also not a fan of the muted gold color. :) 

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very nice. Starscream looks cool too.

11. fateastray

Thanks. I found that the gold paint I used (Humbrol Gold (Enamel)) just dulls as it dries. I have silver and acrylic clear yellow (Tamiya), but that's not well suited for big surfaces. Guess it stays like this until I find an alternative or until someone can recommend a nice paint. Given, the lighting wasn't TOO flattering.

Thanks for the comments though, also for Starscream. I wanted to give them a movie-esque look, however, I feel like making another 'canvas robot' =)

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Ew! I don't like the color at all. He needs to be more yellow He doesn't look good in tqan at all.

13. fateastray

It's not a tan. As forementioned, the GOLD had dulled during drying. You could say it was unintentional.

Although I'd rather not validate your comment with a reply, I want to, at least, thank you for your constructive critisism. It would've been nicer if you rephrased your comment in a more decent opinion, because now I'm not sure if I can take it seriously at all.

Long story short; Your entitled to your opinion and I ask people to comment, but you don't have to be rude.

14. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    The brush strokes are very neat and precise, just the gold color I guess. I would recommend a mix of yellow and metallic orange. That might give him a shine. I will BRB with the color codes if you decide to go for Gunze Sangyo's Mr Color.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    movie goldbug? brush strokes are well done, and i kinda like the gold look, makes him stand out more from the other customs

16. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I think that silver and clear yellow will look pretty good here. You just need an airbrush to get it to go on smoothly. :) 

17. fateastray

I don't have that kind of equipment handy, although I think my dad does, so I might visit my parents the upcoming weekend.

Still, I'd prefer TCracker's solution, however, the only hobbystore in my neighbourhood has a limited supply.

Honestly, I don't even mind the current colour, although I would like to get a better one.

I once tried mixing regular colours with metallic colours, but it didn't work, was it because they were both enamels?

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    most that do this aren't mixing colors, they're painting the metallic down first, then going over it with a translucent color (in this case translucent yellow) over that after it's cured.

19. fateastray

I found that applying a very thin layer of clear yellow significantly helps evening the paint out. It works -really- nicely on the gold. I just re-coated the car-mode in gold, and once that dries up well, I'll put the clear yellow on. I think it will resemble a more accurate metallic yellow this way.

I did some experimenting with mixing in a plastic cup after reading up on it a bit, but it's just a disaster hahaha.

I also tried clear yellow + polished aluminium/metal coat, but that's too light.

Gold + yellow seems to look best. The robot parts will keep the dusty/dull look, since that's acutally pretty movie-accurate =)

20. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    looks great. Ive already started repainting this figure into HA Cliffjumper.