guys, it's not a reboot!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Wrecker217, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    PROOF:

see?

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    so what would the re-imagining be? whats the difference? set in the future maybe?

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

All it proves is that Nelson doesn't like the word "reboot."

4. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    eagc7 gunna be pissed

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Nelson: "Reboot? NO! Fuck that. It's a re-imagining ... yeah, I like it. That'll confuse them!"

6. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    :lolol 

7. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

By re-imagining it means it's a continuation of the first three movies with the surviving characters, but since the main bad guys are now dead they need to bring in new main villains also maybe or maybe not a new set of human characters. A reboot means you tell the story all over again from the very beginning like none of the last movies ever happened. Like batman begins did for all the other batman movies before it, and like the new spider man is going to do.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Movie-verse zombie 'Cons, anyone? I'm up for it.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Does anyone honestly think that they're just going to scrap everything and start over?

10. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    From this I take: same universe, carry over characters, the events of past movies happened , not retreading the same ground villain-wise and new supporting characters (ie I think only Optimus and Bee might have more than a cameo, possibly ratchet, since he's been there from the start too)

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hehehe,

12. flamepanther

What about the "Incredible Hulk" movie that didn't bother retelling the origin story, assumes you know the characters, and still starts with Banner in South America... but forgets all about the Absorbing Man BS, etc.? What about Superman Returns? What about the start of every new Godzilla series Toho ever made? They don't start EVERYTHING over, but reset things enough to tell a totally different chain of events or modify the story/character concepts. I'd certainly call those "hybrid reboots."

"Re-imagining" means going back to the drawing board and rethinking the concept. It implies more than a new story direction, or a change-up in the cast. It means changing the entire premise, or finding a totally new interpretation of the premise. TF'07 started as a "re-imagining" of G1. It certainly wasn't a sequel, or set in the same universe. God-only-knows what a re-imagining of TF'07 will be. It could be a continuation, but nothing at all about "re-imagining" implies that.

Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is that the director and producers are saying at this point that THEY don't know what it's going to mean yet either! Maybe that accounts for some of the confusion and lack of clarity.

13. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The problem is that made up words like "reboot" and "re-imagine" can mean whatever the person using it wants it to mean. I this case, Nelson saying it is a re-imagining rather than a reboot means:

This is exactly what I think Nelson means.

14. flamepanther

It means he doesn't like the word "reboot" due to certain negative connotations.

15. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Nelson- Shockwave will be the main villain for TF3

And you still believe its not a reboot?

16. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reboot or not, coming from Bay it will just be the same thing. Honestly he has no vision or understanding of the Transformers that I love. He made his own world, story and image. Its fine with me, he has made a ton of loot and definitely kept TF's on the shelf.
    But if he's attached I properly won’t like it much. Rebbot-Reimage..who cares.

Funny, I wonder how HORECORE Movie fans will react if he changes the designs and stuff. Maybe they can feel like a lot of G1 guys felt.

Hey, Bumble Bee isn’t suppose to talk Where’s the radio voice?.
    Where’s Primes Flames.
    Arm cannon on Megaron, what’s that all about?
    Too much Robot time, where’s the humans?..
    Why doesn’t Starscream look like Triangle?
    Bay Sucks. He ruined TF forevea.

Lol

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    First off, by now you should realize why that was said... it was part of the smokescreen to throw people off the whole Sentinel Prime plot twist.

Nelson on Bay's forum:

"It's not a re-boot. It's a re-imagination= Transformers from a different point of view & concept."

and from some guy named Flyingheart:

"Di Bonaventura insisted that the fourth film will not be a hard reboot, but an "evolution."

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Wait you are using Nelson as your great source as to why it's not a re-boot? You must not know Nelson that well if you put much into what he says.

I just find it funny how upset people get over the word reboot, so they use words like completely re-imagined because somehow that's different than reboot. Or they try to come up with degrees of reboot by saying something is a soft reboot or a hard reboot.

Sorry to disappoint the people clinging to the here and now so hard they can't accept change but reboot is not a dirty word. Reboot allowed Batman to go from Batman and Robin to The Dark Knight. Reboot allowed Sci Fi to bring in viewers by making Battlestar Galactica into something far different than the original. Even in Transformers you can't get Beast Wars, Animated, the live action movies, and Transformers Prime without the horrible evil word reboot.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Who the fuck is this Nelson? And why do people care? He was wrong mostly in the recent past. So wtf?

Only cool Nelson is called Nelson Muns.

20. flamepanther

IIRC, he basically runs Michael Bay's official discussion forum.