Guy Sues For 50K Over Scratched Discs.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by samtheman, Dec 17, 2008.

1. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Not sure if this should go here or in the Electronics section.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

50k over $180 worth of game software is a bit much even if this is microsoft we are talking about

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Punititive damages are awarded as punishment, not reimbursement. As the name implies.

4. samtheman

But still 50k is a lot of money for just $180 dollars in damages punishment or not. I think the moral of the story is don't move your 360 when there is games in there in the first place.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No, the moral is don't put out product knowing you have easily correctable defects. The jury will agree. You'll see.

6. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just guessing here, but wouldn't it say something like that in the manual?

"do not move while games inside as this may cause damage?"

7. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no, the moral of the story is don't waste your money on the xbox. there are two other superior consoles out that are far better then that defective piece of garbage!

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah:

Suit: Microsoft knew Xbox could damage discs

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please don't start this.

10. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, the last thing we want is an Xbox-bashing thread.

As for this article, I'm surprised no one's sued Microsoft yet for not fixing the RROD problem.

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Agreed. No console is better or more superior to the others. The Wii and PS3 have had their fair share of problems too.

12. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I've had a few scratched discs but nothing rendering them completley unplayable (and they were all Activision titles).

The MS employee thing says they know about discs being scratched if you move the console while its in use. That right there is just user error/ignorance and their own damn fault. Pretty much any optical drive can scratch a disc if it's moved while in use.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    if the american courts give him 50K it will be the laughing stock of the world even more and everyone will sue Microsoft, just buy a consol, scratch the disc and yay I got 50K. The ammounts of money ppl sue for in the USA is embarrasing, just give him a new consol and new games and some extra and he should be happy.

50K......... sheeesh.

14. NoenGaruth

NoenGaruth Not liking ze dizzy...

I'm actualy curious as to why this guy was switching his 360 between horizontal and verticle positions while the game was running, what is it like "Hold on, I just finished the level so now I must tilt the console in celebration before i start the next one" Cause yeah, my PS3 lies down flat and stays that way, there's no need to move it at all let alone while a game's running.

Really, I know it was neglegent of M$ to ignore the problem, but considering that you have to be tilting the console while the disc is spinning for anything to happen means this guy has got to be pretty stupid to get his games scratched to a point where they're unplayable. (Are they even unplayable for that matter? or is this guy just crying cause his poor wittle discs have some teensy scratches on them which would't even effect gameplay) Either way I believe he is careless and certainly doesn't deserve 50 grand (Save the courtroom's time for real cases).

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's not how it works >_<

Way to completely misunderstand the situation, guy.

Please, quit the pointless and constant US hate.

16. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the sole source of the scratching though. Friend of mine's first 360(a launch one I believe) would occasionally scratch games with that same ring. But unlike the moron suing, he never moved his console while a game was running in it. It just scratched the disc anyway. Granted, that's probably a rare occurance. But still, proves the scratching could happen regardless. If MS could've easily and cheaply fixed it, then they should have.

As for my friend's 360, it's long since Red Ring'd, and had to be replaced by MS. No more scratched games since.

17. samtheman

NO, the moral is don't be on a discussion board if you're going to bash peoples personal preference.

A lot of people probably tried which is why it is now fixed for free in a timely and efficient manner.

18. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

It's actually a hell of a lot easier to do than this. We had Rockband going one night the the singer quit. Just unplugging the mic while my 360 was in the vertical position was enough movement to send the disc spinning against the laser. Made a really nice deep circular scratch! Of course, I was pissed, but I didn't try to sue them. I simply took the disc to Hollywood video, tossed em a buck, and they buffed the scratch right out of it in 5 minutes.

However, it is complete bullshit that simply unplugging a usb mic could do this. Obviousy there isn't a whole hell of a lot holding that disc to the spindle.

19. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

In Microsoft's defense... (I never thought I'd be defending them) But if you look at it this way... .50 cents per unit, times how many million units or the possibility that some day somebody might actually sue over such a thing... I think I would have gone with the latter... even though it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

20. samtheman

Yeah with Microsoft's billions of dollars it can't do anything about the problem. Definitely not. That money is going straight towards Bill Gates' mansion to put in an underground Lamborghini garage to store his collection.