Guns (vague, I know. Come read)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronsupreme, Oct 13, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been looking at my new figures (universe mostly) and I realized that the guns they give these guys are kinda weaksauce. Sunstreaker has got what looks like a tiny peashooter, Prowl's gun isn't much better and Ultra Class Onslaught (whose name is synonymous with attack) has a small flip out blaster. The animated autobots are forgiven, since they don't use guns, but what is the deal with weapons recently? I can only think of a small handful of recent figures with satisfying firearms (TFTM Ironhide, TFA Megatron, UNI Galvatron). What's the deal?

2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    yes, too little guns for TFs lately. Would be nice were hasbro to release attack packs that had guns and melee weapons for Classics/Universe figs to use, especially for those who could definitely use a trip to the armory ie Classics Cliffjumper and Bumblebee.

3. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

To be honest, I like the small guns for Onslaught and 'Streaker, as they are both characters who, when entering combat, like to get into the thick of it, making a large gun far too unwieldy.

At least they aren't trying to compensate for something like City Commander and annoyingly and pointlessly BFG.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my guess is the fact that since Beast wars weapons have been integrated into the vehicle mode. I actually prefer the smaller weapons, just cuz they are robots doesn't mean the gun should be the size of their leg. Maybe I'm just burned out on the AEC tradition of everybody carrying a missle launcher

5. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

^^ This. I'm not really a fan of 'Big Gunz!', they just don't look that cool.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    totally agree

7. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not saying everyone should have a BFG, but this is about a species thats at war, maybe they should be packin like they really are.

I use randon weapons i find from other toys and those M.A.R.S. sets to arm my classics figures that are a little lite on the offensive side.

8. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    I get what your saying. In a perfect world for me all the Decepticons would have integrated weapons ala Megatron, shockwave, and the seekers. The autobots would have totally random weapons that don't really match the character. To me this would go with the idea they were just regular bots thrown in to the war. I always thought it was funny that Prowl was like "What were at war? Good thing I have shoulder mounted missle launchers on me!"

9. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I would have to disagree with this. Classics line had 100% integration of weapons into alt modes and Classics had great weaponry (Jetfire and Optimus come to mind). I don't really think a missile launcher is necessary I just want something that looks like it could pack a bit of punch. Astrotrain is a good example of this; his rifle isn't super fancy and doesn't shoot missiles, squirt water, or pop out extra bits when you stick a plastic key in, but it looks like something that a soldier might actually use in a war that has lasted centuries.

10. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Well if you refer to Classics 1.0 then remember that Bumblebee and cliffjumper got no weapons at all and Mirage got a gun very similar to what Prowl and sunstreaker got. If you think about it its a really good design the fast speedster guys (with the exception of hot rod) have light infantry weapons. Heavy hitters like prime, jetfire, grimlock and silverbolt all have big guns. Really only Onslaught doesn't fit that model but the guy has anti aircraft cannons on his back and what I always considered to be a flame thrower and a shield to get up close

11. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Yeah I realize that BB didn't get a gun, but that was a purposeful exclusion. They didn't give him a gun that sucked, they just didn't give him one. It's the same thing as the TFA autobots, they don't have guns at all. Mirage's gun is bigger than either Prowl or Sunstreaker's guns btw.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

do what i do, i give them g1 guns lol, i gave cliffjumper groundshaker's rifle *micro master* acid storm and sideswipe, g1 swindle's gun *i had 2*

g1 guns fit perfectly. how ever i must say, i like mirage's gun, kind'a reminds me of some sort of grappling hook.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Sunstreaker's a hand-to-hand guy, so a honking big rifle is only going to get in the way. Prowl's a tactician, so again not a huge gun guy, and he's got a pair of missile launchers. What more do you want?

14. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Not much bigger just wider and thats only cuz it has those dumb wings on it, but still basically just a light infantry rifle. Cliffjumper looks kick ass with 2pack primes machine gun if that helps. Whats sucks is its not gonna get any better for you. Inferno has a water gun and hound has no gun at all

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm of the opinion that I generally don't like the idea of guns that can't be stashed in alt mode. When it comes down to it, big guns may look cool, but they're not in robot mode all the time. Picture the scene:

Character carries enormous gun.
    Character has to get somewhere, and transforms.
    He comes to a realisation. "Bollocks. I've got nowhere to put my gun in this mode. I'll have to leave it here on the ground, and hope nobody takes it!"
    Character gets where he's going, and is now unarmed, and gets his skidplate handed to him.

:p 

And for the record, I really don't get why so many people think the likes of Bumblebee and Cliffjumper need huge honking guns anyway. Bumblebee is a spy. Cliffjumper thrives on hand-to-hand combat, and used a bazooka (badly) once in the cartoon. And I'm not sure even Hound knew where that had come from. :p 

My solution to their lack of firepower in Classics? Armada Sideswipe and his various redecos have a little pistol that fits perfectly between the arms in car mode. BB's is just repainted, CJ's has had a little ammo canister added to turn it into his 'glass gas gun', which is the only weapon he needs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I think I'll be fixing Hound on that score. If I have to choose between the launcher and the rifle, I'd rather give him the rifle, which at least looks right in vehicle mode. If recall correctly, it was the vehicle mode rifle that did the holograms anyway (no, not in the cartoon).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Honestly, I just make up for it by putting various G1 weapons I get for cheap on eBay in them (though, sometimes I spend a little bit more than I'd like given how crazy peeps get for G1 weapons on the bay...).

17. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    I didn't actually pull them off to look, but I'm pretty sure it's longer too. With regards to Inferno, that "water gun" looks like a massive underarm cannon, so I'm down with that. Hound may be a problem, but I'm pretty sure his shoulder blaster has a round peg too so I might just have him carry it as a handheld weapon instead of pegging it to his shoulder.

18. MegaHavok

News Credits:

19. OmegaCarly

OmegaCarly LoL Ravage

Ebay:
    I agree, the size of the weapon should fit its bearer, but I think they could have done better with the design. Mirage's weapon is weak sauce to be honest, they could have at least made a removable exhaust for his rifle. I also think its a sin for bumblee and cliffjumper to not have a weapon.

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

What M.A.R.S. sets? Do you have a link to them or anything? Thanks.