Guns or Transformable Limbs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prowl, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's your opinion on the armaments of Transformers. Do you prefer them carrying their own guns (G1, Beast Wars, and the Live-Action Movie). Or do you like transformable extensions of themselves, like in Prime, Animated, etc etc?

Aside from carrying Megatron, G1 Starscream had his own blasters, but the rest of the bots carried guns (and the toys were sold with them).

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Built-in weapons FTW.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, built-in makes more sense and it's not like in G1 where they kept their weapons in "sub-space" or whatever. although, I prefer Optimus to have a big gun, just 'cuz he's the leader

4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why not both, like in WFC?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on the incarnation and the characters. In Beast Wars, I like the integrated weaponry, even if its not reconfiguring limbs. In the movieverse, the reconfiguring limbs is consistent and makes sense with the aesthetic. In G1, however, while some of the Deceptcons have weapons attached to them, I prefer the idea of hand-held weapons.

I think the idea of hand-held weapons, separate units from the bots, especially the Autobots, helps drive home the idea that they were not necessarily built for war, but that they've had to BECOME warriors in order to survive. This is why I also love it when the Autobots have non-military technology and special abilities that they use to defend themselves.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I kind of like transformable limbs a little better than just holding guns. It makes for wide variety of weapons. Bumblebee, Starscream, Ratchet, alot of bots and cons in the movieverse had transformable limbs.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree, that's a good combination. Forgot about the game universe.

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Built in-weapons for guns, handheld for bladed weapons and bow-type weapons.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I like guns better myself. From a story telling point of view it allows the writer to have one of the robots disarmed without having to take an arm off in the process. Or like in the Westerns or cop and robber movies, throw down your weapons.

As to where these pistols came from, come on guys am I the only person who ever watched Robocop?

10. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    It should be distinct to the character.

I liked how the alternators and beast wars figures were designed for weapons transformation and storage.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally prefer the separate weapons. It made for storytelling like "No More Optimus Prime, grant me Mercy, I beg of you!"

12. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I strongly prefer handheld weapons. As I've said serveral times on this, to me although the transformable limbs makes more sense it takes away from the coolness and uniqueness of some of the characters like Shockwave & Megatron whow either always have a weapon attached to there rm or have. perminant gun instead of a hand.

Just as a side note didn't all of the TFs in the live action movies have transformable limbs. In the 1st 2 movies anyway, I havn't seen 3 yet.

13. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

I love transformable limbs... more than meets the eye! they TRANSFORM too :D 
    but maybe just small weapons, 'cause heavy firepower needs BIG F*NG GUNS (or another sort of weapon) xD

14. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

when you say both do you mean guns that transform and the axes/mace that they hold cos i dont think that there were any hand held guns in wfc ...

any way i prefer the transformable weapons because it seems more practical for a transformer to have that function

15. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I prefer handheld weapons.

I think it makes sense for the Autobots to have less integrated weaponry as a reminder that they don't want to be war machines(well, as opposed to the "Give me your face" Bayformer Autobots). It also makes for more accurate toys and better poses.

And between Metroid, Mega Man, and TF: Prime I'm getting a little sick of arm cannons.

16. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformable limbs are usually more interesting. If I were a transforming robot, why would I choose to hold a gun as opposed to just making it my arm temporarily?

Animated was the best with this. Each character had a unique weapon and a lot of them were integrated.

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I like both equally but honestly I find interchangable weapons way more creative and fun,while handheld weapons and guns while still cool are still generic in my opinon.

18. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like this idea for G1 too, but being machines I would like to imagine that they could modify themselves to adapt to war.

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´m ok with both. And from a logistical point of view, it makes more sense to have them built in. Less chance of getting into the enemy´s hands for example.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    True, but they've always straddled that anthropomorphic line, and I think it drives the point home more for them to literally take up weapons.