gundam vs macross--which do you like more?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ckhtiger, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I don't know enough about either to really make much of an argument here, but I'm sure some of you do. my only gundam experience is with gundam wing as shown on cartoon network years ago, although I have just dl'ed all of gundam 00 to watch. as far as macross goes, I got started with macross plus, and have also seen zero, and *dodges rocks* the adv robotech series.

they both encompass all that I like about non-tf series, in that they have long, in-depth storylines with lots of characters, strong, humanoid robots that are very strong, and really, REALLY good mech design.

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dug that 08th MS Team Gundam series, or whatever it was called.

Pretty solid military SF, no hint of any Sentai elements in it.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't prefer one over the other.

However, Gundam isn't one continuity, has been handled by several different writers, and as such some parts I like some I don't.

Wing was alright in terms of art and design, but I found the characters to be a little irritating and story kinda lame.

08th MS team kicked ass

00 is pretty damn good

Seed was pretty decent too

Seed destiny was crap(writing, flashback episodes, recycled stock footage, main character)

Turn-A was... I dunno, I only watched a few episodes of it and it was kinda "bleh"

X was pretty damn good, highly underrated, and unfortunately got cancelled a few episodes early so the ending was rushed. And the Frost brothers were irritating.

Stargazer was too short

I haven't seen Z or ZZ so I don't have an opinion on them. The original gundam series seemed a little cliche, and I don't mean gundam cliches, I'm talking about early 80's anime cliches.

I can't judge macross frontier after 1 episode, but the original macross was cool, so was macross plus.

Macross zero didn't sit too well with me for some reason. I don't know why, maybe it was the islanders chanting. I dunno. The art and animation were cool though.

Macross 2 is like Highlander 2, it's best to ignore that it ever existed.

Macross 7 and it's OVA's kicked ass as a sequel to Macross. Some people hate it, but those people are dumb. "zomg it sucks, they made the yf-19 look goofy", big deal. They had an actual band take care of the music, and had more than 2 songs. Even thought you're still have to listen to that "zoom zoom my boyfriend is a pilot" crap from the original series a couple of times.

The next robotech generation... wtf.. Just go watch Genesis Climber Mospeada which is a good show on it's own. I haven't seen super dimension cavalry southern cross yet.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ooooh, thanks, I was going to ask whether or not gundam was all one storyline. and now macross 7 sounds like I might need to look into it, and I definitely agree with you about zero.

5. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I love both for what they've given to world of mecha anime.

But I'll always be more of a Macross fan for what it offers. Love triangles, HUGE spaceships, transforming fighters, and singing idols amidst war is what drew me in during the 80's.

6. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer Macross b'coz...most of the vehicles TRANSFORMS! i'll always have a soft spot for transforming mecha (less for non-transforming ones).

It doesn't matter from which genre they came from. either super robots or real robots as long as it transforms, i'm ok wit' it :) .

7. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

Macross. It's still my favorite Anime ever. (original series, DYRL movie, and Macross Plus) i can tolerate the other sequels but they are not my favorites. Frontier doesn't count too new.

Only gundam series i like are most of the ones hard core fans hate. Wing, G-gundam, but i did like 08th MS team. Bought Chars counter attack and it bored me to tears.

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Mech Warrior!

Er, I mean, if I had to choose between the two I would go with........ Uh..... Crap, Macross is Fighter Jets + Robots (only thing I think is cooler than giant robots is fighter jets) but I feel that Gundam has a more down to Earth story.

(three minutes later)

Okay, between the two I have to go with Gundam.

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I like your post, but the original Macross had like 15 songs. Unless you are referring to Robotech....

And yes, I choose Macross. The original Macross is THE anime of the 80's, no question. And Macross Plus is what got me into Anime in the first place, and it's still one of the best ever made.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Macross. The original was great, and Mac2 was pretty good. Mac+ did everything wrong, unfortunately.

Gundam just leaves me cold. I don't know what it is about it, but it just doesn't apeal to me. The constant recycling of the same design, with new back kibble for each series doesn't help.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Macross all the way. SDF, DYRL, M+ were all awesome. Zero's story was garbage but I can appreciate the fantastic animation, gorgeous mecha design and wicked dog fights.

"SHAO PAI LONG! It's a very messiah!"

12. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    No, I'm referring to what I've seen of the original macross which has consisted primarily of one damn irritating song I found just as bad as the ones in robotech, which would be that my boyfriend is a pilot crap. I've actually mostly avoided the original macross for the horrid singing in both japanese and english that drives me nuts. And you can't want seven or plus without that damn song coming up, and it'll probably be in frontier also.

13. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

I would have to say Macross. If there's only 1 transforming robot that I can have then it gotta to be the VF-1S. It's just a superb design even by today's standard.

14. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

1 gets me aliens a dn plane transforming mechs
    the other gives me war drama.
    different generas really.

I would kill to have shoji kawamori design another gundam though.

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    For me it's Macross all the way, not even a contest.

16. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Gundam. Macross is overhyped and I absolutely can't stand the mecha designs and their terrible transformations, save for the Macross + mecha.

I'd take 0080, Turn A Gundam, or Gundam 00 any day over a Macross show :) 

17. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Watch Turn A :p 

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Watashi no kare wa, PAIROTO!!

Dude that song is awesome and you know it.

19. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    About as awesome as a nailgun to the foot.

20. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Red Moon, Silver Moon was better....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.