Customs: Gundam to Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Henshin, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Henshin

Henshin Well-Known Member

I had a RX-78 Gundam 4.5" action figure. I wanted to make a really detailed Action Master of sorts of G1 Bumblebee. So, I choped off all of the unessecary parts out of the Gundam. I even managed to carve a face into the little guy, of which I am quite pleased. My question is, what now? I want to take Polymer Clay (Sculpty) and build up the body. And then I'm going to take apart my reisssue Bumblebee keychain and stick some of those parts on the Gundam to make it look as Bumblebee-tastic as possible.

So, what kind of Sculpty do I want to buy?

What kind of glue do I need?

Paints, what would you all suggest?

What's that high gloss protectional coat paint stuff? Would you suggest I need that?

What are the price points for these things?

I'll be heading to Micheal's Crafts for this stuff.

Now, as for after I mould this thing, it's on plastic, so I can't bake it. Do I just let the clay air dry?

No, I don't want to start small. I want to rush into it all at once. :p 

2. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't use sculpy for any parts that are going to be on the PVC/plastic. You won't be able to bake it. Possibly dunking it in boiling water would allow it to cure, but the pieces I have seen done in this manner haven't come out the best. Sculpy doesn't air dry. The best stuff to use is Apoxie Sculpt. It is a two part putty that can be smoothed out and cleaned up with water. It takes about four hours to cure, and once it does it is rock hard. Michaels around here dont carry the stuff, but you should be able to find it at any decent hobby store.

3. Henshin

Henshin Well-Known Member

Ouch. There really isn't a hobby shop but Micheals around here...I think I have an idea though.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You'd only be able to find Apoxie Sculpt in-store if that shop special orders it. It's not available in mass-market, online only.

You can get it at www.avesstudio.com

I highly recommend that you do, though. It's really inexpensive as far as self-curing modelling compounds go (the amount of Milliput or Kneadatite you get for the same price doesn't even compare in the least), and it's super durable, and takes detail well.

They've also got their Fixit Sculpt variety, which is more expensive, but takes fine detail well, and doesn't sag while setting, so it works well for things like spikes or fins that would normally droop.