Gundam Question

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by WhiteMocha, Nov 6, 2006.

1. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Ah... all Master Grades are 1/100 scale. There is also the 1/60 Wing Gundam Zero Which is the one of only 2 1/60 scale High Grade or better kit that I don't have. The other being the Perfect Aile Strike.

Also you should definitely try to talk him into getting into other Gundam lines. Hell the 1/144 scale Seed kits are better than 1/100 scale High Grade GUndam Wing kits. There is just so much more poseablility in the the Seed kits. But then again if you go with Master Grade kits that's a different story. The newer the kit the better the features and the better the construction.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's an engineering marvel. It's completely, and totally awesome. Transformation is ridiculously intricate, yet it's quite solid in both modes. Lots of ingenious locking systems that keep it nice and stable (I especially like the ones in the wing binders that automatically extend/retract during transformation), and the joints are quite sturdy.

Two very minor flaws with the kit, however. One is that the hip halves don't really peg together very solidly, so if all you're doing is snapping the kit together, then those two pieces wind up popping apart during transformation. Just glue them together. The second is that it has a pretty hard time of holding its guns. It has no problems with the sabers, but it doesn't grip the guns very tightly. I think Bandai intentionally molded the palm tabs a little loose, so that there's some leeway there for painting.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Could u show me which parts exactly I should glue? I don't have problems transforming it, but I'm curious if it would make the transformation even easier...

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I think he only wants you to glue the hip halves together if you'll never transform it. If you'd like to retain that option, don't glue it.

5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Not what I meant at all.

Step 6<3>, parts I31 and I32: http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m87/manual/m87_mb0008.JPG

At least in my experience, attempting to transform it pulled the pelvis halves apart (the two pieces that sandwich the waist joint polycap, as well as hold the rear skirt armor in place). The only thing holding them together in the first place is the friction from the three polycaps that they're joined to, and I think one little tab in the front. It was impossible to transform it before I glued the two halves together. After I glued it, no problems at all.

If you find that you're having no problems, then you're probably alright in that regard.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that particular Gundam is from the "One Year War" series and IMO the best MG or model kit version of the RX-78-2 Gundam. He looks fantastic without any pain and the plastic that he is made of feels more durable than the usual model kit say, the Dom or Zaku II - also like a toy.

Of course, unlike the other Gundam mecha such as Dom, Zaku IIs or the Guncannon, the Gundam needs to panel-lined" if not he would look really plain. I will post more pictures of this kit later after work.

I'm undecided of which model kit should I get next - the Nu Gundam or the Zeta version 2.0. Can anyone make any recommendations?

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks again for all the helpful information, everyone! You guys really went above and beyond answering my questions. Thanks for the info about pricing, and also for posting that comparison pic. It's good to see how the figures stack up, size-wise.

Thanks again for being such a helpful and knowledgeable collecting community!

8. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Your preference, in the end. I don't think I've heard anything particularly bad about the MG Nu, but it's an older kit, so its got a lot less features than the Zeta 2.0 (noteably absent are any manner of flight stands for the funnels, or the Gundam itself). Also, due to its size (The actual Gundam's supposed to be about 24 or so metres tall, which is about a third again as big as the Zeta, which clocks in at approximately 18 metres) and partial die-cast content (it's got big chunks of metal for the ankles, to offset the weight), I think it's considerably more expensive. At the local hobby shops, I can get Zeta for about $55-60 cdn, while Nu is more in the $80-90 range.

But if you're partial to the Nu's design or whatever, go for it.

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    For those interested in the Gundam picture I posted, here's a picture of an auction for it. I can't seem to find it at HLJ to post a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BANDAI-RX-78-2-Gundam-One-Year-War-0079-MG-Ver_W0QQitemZ270045154959QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4249QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

WhiteMocha - no problem...I've been helped by others before so I thought of posting some pictures to help ya out.

mx-01 archon - I get your point...I'm currently leaning towards the Nu especially after reading about the minor problems with the Zeta...any areas of concern with the Nu? Such as does it have a firm grip on its gun? Appreciate the help! :D 

And here's another picture of my fave, MG kit or probably mecha...the RX-78-2 Gundam!

[​IMG]

10. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the OYW Gundam...I was especially surprised by the improved articulation it seems to have (don't actually own any MG RX-78-2's, since I already have the PG).

As for whether to get the Zeta 2.0 or the Nu Gundam, I would say get the Zeta. There have been rumblings (essentially unsubstantiated rumors, but logical ones) that there may be a Nu Gundam 2.0 at some point in the near future, and it may be best to wait and see whether those pan out or not. Personally, I doubt it will happen, and think its more likely that there'll be a PG Nu Gundam before there's a MG Nu Gundam 2.0.

11. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    Not to throw this topic totaly off topic but I did just get in the Layzner from Real Robot Revolution, also a Bandai kit. This thing is amazing. It is done in Mastergrade style and just an unbelieveable kit. it is done in 1/42 scale so the mechs are a little smaller than Gundam would be but the kit would be the same size as a 1/100 scale Gundam so still a good large figure. The pilot sits in the head, kind of a stupid place for him but the cockpit detail is wickid. Missiles, Backpacks, Brass Knuckles, this thing comes packed with weapons as well.

Anyone know if this is a series or what it may be? I am going to build one regarless as it just blew me away. Just waiting for some paints to come in before I tackle it.

Spencer.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Hey Spence, I kinda hate to ask, but I've got a bit of an issue. I picked up the MG Crossbone from A3U yesterday, but after I opened the box, I found out that Bandai had mistakenly packed only one of the "F" runner in (there's supposed to be two, since it's the runner that contains most of the skeleton for the arms, as well as the hip joints). Would you be able to replace the runner for me?

Anyways, about the Real Robot Revolution line, I believe it's supposed to be a continuing series of kits based on random 80's robot franchises.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Bandai themselves provide replacement parts for their gundam kits. you can buy entire part trees from them. I can't remember the URL for that page though.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Try Gundamstoreandmore.com. Huuge selection with lots of sales.

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reply. I value your feedback as they have been pretty spot-on so far. I too, got a feeling that the Nu will also be upgraded but problem is...when?

I hope its not when there is another remake of Char's counterattack as in the case of the Zeta when the series was compiled into a movie trilogy - know what I mean? LOL! On the other hand, an upgraded Nu will be the perfect 100th MG kit for Bandai - I suspect Bandai would want to put out something special for its 100th MG kit as speculated on MAHQnet.

Just a couple more questions:

i) Are there any "issues" with the current Nu Gundam kit? Are the joints tight? Does it grip its weapons well? Do the fin funnels stay on well?

ii) Are there other pictures of the extra finish One Year War Gundam? The site that you linked - dalong seems down.

Other than that, thanks for the help rendered so far! :D 

16. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I haven't heard anything bad about the Nu Gundam, only to be careful when putting the screws in (as always), and I didn't like the stickers used for the yellow on the fin funnels. Other than that, I hear it's actually a pretty solid kit (although I cannot speak from experience because I never got around to buying it).

As for the OYW Gundam, dalong.net should still be up (it is for me anyway). Try this link. If that doesn't work, you can navigate to the model manually by clicking on MG at the top of the page, then selecting English menu (unless you can read Korean, of course), and then scrolling down to near the bottom of that side menu to the Limited Edition header in bold, under which should be the OYW Gundam Extra Finish version.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I have the Nu, and it's awesome. Never had any problems with it at all. it's got a pretty nice amount of metal in it, which surprisingly doesnt cause the joints to sag at all. makes it easy to balance it in more complicated poses.

18. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Emperor Mengde - thanks for the link...now do you know where I can buy him? :D 

Valkyas - thanks for the information! Since your posts have been as reliable as Emperor's, I will be checking him out as I have been eying for quite sometime...but of course, my plans have been stifled by the release of Bandai's Dancougar and Gunbuster(out this week!)...so many stuff to buy but my budget's tight! :( 

19. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, most of my Gundam are MSIAs, but I have begun to buy the models recently. My current collection:

-1/144 HGUC Zeta Gundam (awesome little kit. Personal favorite.)
    -1/144 HGUC Gouf (not bad, loved the heat rods)
    -1/144 MG Kampher (got it for $10. Absolute steal. I'm considering taking it apart to make it look a little better)

So, two questions:

How did the Turn A Gundam kits turn out, quality-wise? The low prices of the 1/144s on GundamStoreAndMore has caught my interest.

Also, I'm considering buying the Casval Gundam (http://gundamstoreandmore.com/ban913554.html). Since it's just a repaint of the Gundam 1.5 kit, I figured some of you would know what it's like. Detail level, posability, etc?

20. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Are you talking about this model?

[​IMG]

If so what are coincidence! I was deciding today whether to get it or the Nu Gundam...in the end, I chose the Nu Gundam. Hence, my opinon is based on the version 1.5 Gundams that I have. The articulation is good, decent and the plastic is fairly durable - although not as durable as a normal Transformer.

Detail level...I'm not quite sure what you mean? As it the number of weapons or panel-lining etc. I

f you're talking about the extras such as weapons, the MG kits won't disappoint you. Whether you see on the box will be included.

With regards to panel-lining, there's not much parts to panel line...if you mean details as internal mechanisms...this kit is decent (based on the 1.5 that I have), which has panels opening up in the forarm and calves etc...see box pictures.

The "basic" colour of this Gundam will be as red and "darker" red...in short, you don't have to paint him and he will still look good.

Check this site to see the contents of this kit - below is a direct link:

http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=109&Typ2_c=180&Typ3_c=678&SPage=4&SC=125&SN=Gundam+MG+%281%2F100%29&It_c=10026830&andor=0&scope=0&scope2=0&thumb=1&sortID=1&urikire=1&sort_sort=0&ItKey=&app_url=shop_right_e.asp

The Gundam version 1.5 is a decent kit but it loses out to the "One Year War" version kit, which IMO is the PERFECT version of RX-78-2 Gundam - plastic more durable, joints designed for extra articulation and more panels to "panel-line". Oh yeah, remember to get a marker for the head details! :D