Gundam Question

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by WhiteMocha, Nov 6, 2006.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Hi guys! I know this isn't Transformer-related, but I figured a few of you folks are probably familiar with Gundam toys as well.

I'm not! :)  I think they're neat and all, it's just not a corner of toydom I've really explored. And I know next to nothing about it!

However, my 14-year-old nephew has expressed interest in trying out some of the Gundam Wing (specifically that series... I don't think he likes the others) model kits, and I wanted to ask a couple questions about them:

1. What's the best place to purchase them online?

2. What grade would be a good one to start with? Is Master-Grade too high for a beginner? I saw that some were also called "High-Grade." Would that be a better starting point?

Thanks very much for any advice, it is much appreciated!

2. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

The High grade kits are good beginner kits. The Master grade kits are a little advanced for beginners who have never built kits before. If he's build other types of models then he should be able to build a Master Grade.

3. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Most big online stores that carry Transformers also do Gundam kits, I know BBTS does. I usually get mine from HLJ or Plajapan. (HLJ's based right out of Japan, Plajapan's American.)

The nice thing about Gundam kits is that generally they are molded as snapfit and in-color, so no glue or paint is required. The fit is really nice on Master Grades, and maybe just a little less on the HG Wing kits. Of course, glue and paint, done well, will always make 'em look better. Glue and paint done poorly will make 'em look much worse, o'course.

But like Thor says, the High Grades are good for beginners. Bandai's always got really clear instructions, even when they're printed in Japanese. If your nephew's ever built a Zoids kit, those are similar except Gundams aren't motorized. Master Grades really aren't much harder, except they usually have small fiddly bits.

4. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    You are saying that NO WHERE in San Fan do they sell Gundam? It will cost you a whole lot less keeping your purchases where you live.

Vancouver has 4 Gundam specific stores, not including my own store which also dabbles in Gundam.

High Grade is the perfect place to start. They can be gotten in both 1:144 scale or 1:100 scale. The 1:144 scales ones are quite easy. My 8 year old builds them himself without help so you guy should have no problem.

As he gets better, there is a lot of tricks you can learn for painting and making them look very cool.

The nice thing about Gundam is there is a whole bunch of them that Transform as well so you can kind of keep both Transformers and Gundam together.

Spencer.

5. WhiteMocha

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. Sounds like High Grade is the place to start, followed quickly by Master Grade if he enjoys it and doesn't have any assembly troubles.

Thanks very much for the info about the online stores, as well! Agesthreeandup, there actually are quite a few stores around the Bay Area that sell these kits.... I had just sort of assumed that they would go for cheaper online. Maybe that's not the case? I was judging it based on Transformer prices. Binaltechs seems to go for $70-$90 at retail stores around here, and maybe $40-$50 online. So I assumed the same was true of other toys. Is that inaccurate?

Anyway, thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate the advice. Sounds like HG is the way to go. Whew, one teensy bit of Christmas planning done! :) 

6. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

best High Grade kits (1/144) for Gundam Wing series are the ones from Endless Waltz, if this helps

and if your nephew gets really good at building these, he might be interested in the 2 MG Wing kits (Wing Ver Ka & Wing zero custom) ;) 

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, though, I'd try to steer him away from Gundam Wing kits (except for perhaps the MG Wing Zero. And even that has a couple of minor flaws that might make it frustrating for him). They use somewhat outdated construction methods, and as such, wear out pretty darned quickly, becoming loose and floppy. Anything from SEED and onward is quite sturdy.

8. WhiteMocha

Cool, that's good to know about the pros and cons of specific kits! He might be open to the Gundam Seed kits if I explain that the quality is better. If not, I'll go with the Endless Waltz ones... I saw pictures of a few of those online, and they do look pretty neat.

Thanks again for all the great advice! I knew this would be the right place to ask. :) 

9. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

Just one more piece of advice, don't use them as toys.

10. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As everyone has said, start with the HG kits (preferably the 1/100 scale) then the Master Grade stuff. They are FAR from being toys, but they CAN withstand light play. I've built every 1/100 wing kit, and roughly 90% of Bandai's Master Grade line up (yes... I have no life), so if you need some suggestions, drop me a line.

you may want to check www.gundamshop.com

they have decent prices and have really great customer service if there's a problem.

11. WhiteMocha

Awesome, thanks for the advice, Alpha and Zeta Otaku! Yeah, I specifically asked my nephew if he preferred something more toylike or model-like.... and he opted for the models. But I'll make sure to emphasize their relative fragility compared to toys.

Thanks for the gundamshop link, as well! I'll check them out! And hey, nothing wrong with having built all those models. That's what makes it a hobby! :) 

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm afraid I can't recommend which stores to buy the kits because as a result of living in Asia, Gundam kits/toys are easily available here.

Yeah, I would also recommend the HG kits especially the later ones which have a decent amount of colours.

Additional/Optional stuff to get:

i) Marker (washable/removable) as they can really enhance the look of the kit...in particular the Gundams.

ii) Plastic cutter too to ease in the removal of the parts.

iii) Sand paper to smooth the edges.

Stuff such as paint can be avoided for now until your nephew develops his skill and if so, Master Grade kits are the way to go! :D 

IMO some of the kits are fairly durable - I picked up the HG triple Dom set and I was impressived by their durability. Sure they can't be compared to TF Classics but the quality and durability are decent - especially the later models. Keep posting here to enquire on the models to buy and to avoid as I'm sure folks here will help ya!

13. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    Not sure how it works down south but I know that for me, my prices on line and my prices in store are about the same but then I tend to be a touch lower priced than some of the other stores in Vancouver. I just know that here, after you include the costs of shipping, duty and other stupid fees and stuff, you save a bundle just buying it from a store and you don't have to wait long to have it, you bring it home when you buy it, not a week later.

Good luck with your purchase. There is so many cool kits out there it is hard to make a choice. I got in the new Crossbone kit today with the Blue Dual and I am almost certain that I will have one of each by the end of the week.

Oh how it sucks to own a store that sells cool stuff.

Spencer.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh hey, you guys got the MG Crossbone in? I might have to swing by this week then. Your prices on the Gundam kits are indeed pretty good. I think only one of the other model shops in the area actually has that one in yet, but they're the ones that charge more (although they're also the ones that bring stuff in the most quickly, for the impatient people).

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  16. agesthreeandup

News Credits:
    That MG Gundam looks awesome. Nice work. By far one of my favorites for the Gundams. Always good to go classic.

I did the GP-01 reciently but it is not as cool looking as that one is.

I have been thinking about doing the Zeta 2.0. Anyone else done one already?

Spencer.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I did. Hard to pose but it's pretty cool looking in both modes.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Just because you mentioned Gundam Wing specifically, to nit-pick I dont think they made G-Wing kits beyond 1:100 High Grade. There's the Endless Waltz Perfect Grade kite and a Master Grade Wing Gundam but those are the only exceptions I can think of.

19. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

I've built it... and I HIGHLY recommend it. If you've built the original Zeta or even one of the Zeta plus MGs... well... this is NOTHING like them ^_^

As solid as the Zeta Plus kits were compared to the original Zeta MG, the ver 2.0 is even better. I also recommend getting the Nemo and Gundam MK II ver 2 (especially since the stands combine ^_^)

20. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com is pretty good. I got a few models from them for Christmas. They have a good variety in stock. I would suggest Image Anime, but I usually buy from them at conventions or when I'm actually in New York City. The only Gundam Wing model on their site that isn't sold out is the 1/60 "Big Scale" Wing Zero (which I've heard is just a large HG model).

That's right. Gundam Wing was all 1/144 and 1/100 High Grade, except for three models.

-Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom
    -Master Grade Wing Gundam Ver.Ka (redesigned by Endless Waltz designer Hajime Katoki)
    -Master Grade Wing Zero Custom