Customs: Gundam Parts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hotwire, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

I've seen a lot of customizers using Gundam model parts on their Transformers. I've looked up the models, but they can be damn expensive, especially if you only want a few parts. My question is, where is a good place to pick up some random pats?

2. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I've always looked for junkers on ebay. I typically search using phrases like "transformer parts" or "gundam parts" and sometimes "broken transformers/gundams".

Hope that helps.

3. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, simply go for the toys released in the US at retail, these can be found at junker lots and such

Modelkits will be always expensive, specially the bigger ones

You can always try to ask someone from China to get you KO modelkits, ive heard thereĀ“s some extremely cheap (even those in 1:60 scale!)

4. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was lucky. I used to collect gundams and have about 40 of em to use for kitbashing fodder.
    Sometimes they pop up on the boards here if you keep an eye out.

5. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

Hey ya just like Sioce, I have a collection of gundams that I don't care for nemore and they reallt come in handy for customizing... joints, ball joints , hinges, and decoration... I think even buying one gundam is worth it as u can get a lot of usefull parts out of it... I was just recently working on a rotf megatron and ruined his left hand while trying to sand down a pin... thank god tho for gundams as I eventually found a even better joint/hinge ..(a piece I always thought would be useful but never found its calling yet). So ya get ur gundams. Even just buying one set is good enough for a while..

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collected them a lot back in the day my main way was online but with the price of everything going up I have seen a significant increase in the price of Gundam models kits in the last year or two. I chock that up to price of production and Bandai is starting to get more and more flashy with their kits like adding leds, and more complex designs.

You may want to try some local hobby stores, My local Hobby Town carries gundams, as well a family own Hobby Store. Never hurt to try those. Hobby town may even be able to order them for you. You still pay full price but you won't have to pay shipping.

Anime Conventions. I know that sound like a bit much, but these are a gundam heaven and graveyard in a sense. I have found scrap bins, and whole model kits go for next to nothing and the vendors usually have a base price without taxes on the newer stuff. They just round it off. And sometimes are willing to wheel and deal with you.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I have tons of kits that I use of various sizes. I collected a ton of them not long before Gundam Wing hit big here in the states. I had a local comic/hobby shop that carried the Japanese kits for great prices, so I loaded up on them. Not sure how long it was after that, but I noticed a few of the more popular Gundam Wing kits showing up in Wal-Mart of all places. I loaded up on them also (they were cheaper than their Japanese counterparts, but contained the same stuff). I still have a few mint kits that I haven't built or snagged parts from (though I still plan to at some point). Some of the kits I've kept since I really like them, but for some that I had doubles of or variants of (different colors, things of that nature), I kept one and used parts from the other. I believe that same comic/hobby shop still has some (maybe of the newer kits), but it's back home in FL and it's a local thing (Rose, the owner, has one shop in Fort Walton Beach, FL and one in Pensacola, FL).

So maybe your local comic/hobby shop might have some. Online is probably your best bet, but it can't hurt to check some local places or call them up. I searched some last week on eBay and found a few Gundam lots for decent prices. Like RodimusDawg said, check out Hobbytown USA and see what they have--a few months back, I picked up some Japanese Hasegawa model kits to reshell my Acid Storm figures for my Superion custom I have planned. They had almost anything you could think of in the way of model kits (foreign and domestic), except for 1/32 sports car model kits (they had a few, but not the good stuff). Next time I hit the local Hobbytown USA here, I can check and see if they have some and what the price points are on them.

All this really makes me miss the days when you could walk into Wal-Mart and grab some cool Gundam kits. Now, I'm interested in learning why they stopped. Anyway, good luck and I hope you find what you're after, man.