Gundam Models

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Aptom, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

Does any one here make gundam models or know a really good site for reviews etc? so far ive made master grade dom , gundam rx78 ver1.5, perfect gundam , master gundam , spiegel gundam and freedom gundam and i still have the mg sazabi and fazz (sentinel) to make. ooooh its so fun !

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Maybe the Toyark would be a better section to ask.

3. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fo schwizzle.

I've done a few gundam kits but nothing too hard. Just the standard 1/100 scale ones.

I've never seen any review sites for the kits, only sites with galleries. When this gets moved over to the ToyArk I'm sure someone can help you more with that.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    http://www.dalong.net/
    Not in English, but it's a brilliant site for shots of every single part in a hell of a lot of Gundam kits (including instruction scans and assembled parts). I used it heavily for reference when I built the PerfectGrade Strike gundam I got earlier this year.

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

As Draven said, Dalong.net is a good one. Here's a couple more:

Penetrate - A Gundam oriented message board with reviews, build-up walk-throughs, and just general discussion of Gundams.
    http://s9.invisionfree.com/Penetrate/index.php?act=idx

Hobbyfanatics - A general hobby board that has a "Mecha" section with a LOT of Gundam build walk-throughs. Be careful there though. You might see something you can't live without that'll bankrupt you for years. Like the 1/35 G-System Gundams.
    http://www.hobbyfanatics.com

Also, if you have questions about Gundam build-ups, Hobbyfanatics is an excellent place to ask them, or search to see if someone else has already asked them.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me! Me! I collect Gundam kits - especially the Master Grade Kits! I'm lousy at painting them so I got the Master Grade kits; which look good without paint. Below are a sample of my collection - which is all UC0079 based.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a suggestion...why don't Gundam fans post pictures of their collection here?! :D 

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I did a few back in the day when stores carried the smaller model kits. I recently finished one of the MG GP01 kit and went back and painted the red and blue on the first one I had done. I'll be finishing and painting my friends when he finally decides to bring it to me. I'd do more but I found these at a local Big Lots for $5 and I hate ordering stuff online.

[​IMG]

9. Night Flame

Damn. You did a good job of weathering that one on the right. He looks thoroughly slagged.

10. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm addicted to these things. I have about 35 MGs (currently, sold a BUNCH of them) and 4 PGs...

I think I need help...

11. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I've put together gundams since I was little, I haven't gotten to be an expert at it, but I've definately improved. I only have a couple of model kits displayed:

[​IMG]
    The Big scale with real detail Strike Gundam model kit. Click here for a bigger image.

[​IMG]
    Gundam Astray Red Frame, and Gundam Astray Blue Frame ( special edition, in red colors ). Click here for a bigger image.

[​IMG]
    I really like the Gundam Astray Red Frame. I did this one up with some metallic paint and added more detail to the hands and sheath (paint instead of stickers). Click here for a bigger image.

Definately fun.

~X

12. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I just built the Perfect Grade Strike Gundam and the Perfect Grade Aile Striker and Skygrasper, but i have the worst camera in history for closeups. :( 

IT MAKES ME SO MAD!

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Wasn't my intention at first but I decided to paint it on the tree and then didnt have anything to touch up the candy purple that was on the frame/cokcpit so I decided to go with the battered look since I put a big scratch down the side of it with my knife when i was cutting it out.. Plus I didnt like how dark it was. I thought I'd like the Black and Purple look but it hid a lot of the detail.

The black originally had a red sheen to it as well but that mostly wore out or was painted over when I dry brushed it.

Edit: I like the shield the best. I used the rub on decals on it so they look like they have been scraped off as well.

[​IMG]

14. Night Flame

I used that same method with a Perfect Grade RX-178 Mk. II Titans. Basically, sanded smooth, cleaned, dry-rub decalled, dry-brushed with silver, washed with black, then dull-coated. It looked really good considering. Unfortunately, it went into storage and I'm not even sure I could find it without going through about twenty rubbermaid bins right now.

15. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

AWESOME paint job. Seriously.

I love Gundams. Never been into the shows, but I'm a big fan of the mechs. I'll take pics of my stuff on the weekend... ^_^

16. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

awesome guys thanks for the help ill be sure to check those sites out. il post pics of my stuff at the weekend too. im really happy with my master gundam as i airbrushed some weathering on the wings (probably looks crap t an expert) my best is the freedom gundam . i like my dom kit but the thigh armor broke after i tried removing some paint :(  never using white spirit again !

17. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I've got whole bunch of them (mostly MG) that I haven't even touched yet. I think I built just one so far (out of 20). I need to buy all the paints and kits (brushes, knifes, sandpapers) and it's going to cost a pretty penny so I am still undecided if I should get them or not. I recently got Aile Strike Gundam (from Seed) that I really want to build and display. Is there a good online site that sells all the stuff needed to paint and build a Gundam?

18. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I just got the High Grade Strike Noir today, some people say that it's parts are all borrowed from other suits.

Some people. :) 

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I have well over 100 kits, but damn near all are in storage. the only ones out right now are MG Zeta, MG Hyaku Shiki and PG Zeta. :(  NEED SHELVES.

20. Night Flame

Depends on where you're headed with painting and building. Some people just want basic colors. Some people want sanded, primed, smoothed, sanded, cleaned, washed panel lined, shaded. . . .

But here's a basic rundown of sites I've used in the past

http://www.spruebrothers.com
    Good source for tools and paint. Especially useful are the sanding sticks they sell there. I've also bought Mr. Surfacer Primer from them.

http://www.horizonhobby.com
    Again, tools and paint. Tamiya products and cutting tools mostly.

http://www.hobylinc.com
    Tools and other supplies. Can't remember off the top of my head what I bought there, but I had to have bought something as they're in my "good source" file.

http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02c-MGHowTo.html
    This one's not a source for anything, but by gawd it needs to be read by every person who builds Gundams and wants to put a finish on them. It's good stuff. And links to several other pages to help with paint mixing ratios, using Future Floor Polish, filling and puttying, and a myriad other subjects. It's a good first source, and a good place to start when looking for help on advanced topics.

http://www.mechaskunk.com
    This guy sells lots of cool little gidgets to add details to mecha models. I especially like the tube beads and steel balls.

I'm sure I could turn up more if I kept digging, but that's a good start. Another place to look is the local hobby shops. I'm partial to Tamiya acrylics and Mr. Color lacquers, but there's several other quality brands of paints. Each with it's own quirks and idiosyncracies. I tend to stay away from enamels as they have a horrible time drying, but some people like them.

Dive on. Once you get started, you'll wonder why you waited so long.