Gundam Model Question

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by agravlin, Mar 26, 2007.

1. agravlin

agravlin Bearer of Reason

I was interested in buying this model kit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN932155

But I was wondering if the white plate armor is removable to reveal the black detailed skeleton like it is on the Perfect Grade models.

Anyone know?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The answer is yes to a certain extent...check out the link below...go to the MG section and look for the OYW Gudam. Look at the left of your screen and its listed as M78...a pity the site's Korean though and not English.

http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m78/p/m78_28.jpg

The particular model u're looking at is the best RX-78-2 Gundam available but I can't gurantee if Bandai will be releasing another one sonn as its MG100.

Fpr those curious No. 98 will be Char's Zaku II version 2.o and No.99 will be Char's Gelgoog version 2.0.

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    If I were you I would wait for the 100th MG to be released. Could right as well be another RX-78-2. Otherwise that is the best MG representation of said Gundam. The inner skeleton will be visible to some extend. Though not as detailed as the PG.

iDD

4. agravlin

LigerPrime, that link doesn't work.

iDarkDesign, will the 100th be as inexpensive as the one I linked to, and will it be available in the States, or will it have to be imported?

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Nobody knows how expensive it will be yet, and unless you live near a model shop or anime store that currently imports MGs, you'll have to import it yourself.

6. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

If the 100th Master Grade is another Gundam, it would likely be better than the OYW Gundam. I rather like the OYW Gundam, but the coloring is a little too pastel for my liking. As for buying it when it comes out, as Phy said you'll likely have to import it yourself, or just buy it from an online store that imports such things (like bigbadtoystore.com, imageanime.com, plajapan.com, etc.). Oh, and if you want to look at the link LigerPrime gave just right click, copy shortcut and paste it into your browser rather than clicking on it. Or go to dalong.net and click around, it should be pretty easy to find.

7. agravlin

Ahh, thanks. That worked.

Is the black lining already on the pieces?

8. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Nope, those are panel lines. You would need to buy a water-based marker to do up the panel lines.

Emperor - I get your point...maybe it will be the RX-78 with G-Armour? Its hard to say especially with the release of the Metal Composite Gundam with G-Armour. And I agree, as much as I like the OYW kit, I wished it was "whiter" in colour.

9. agravlin

I tried doing panel lines on some of my crappy little 1/144 ones with a permanent marker, but the ink faded over time, and of course the tip was too wide so it marked outside the lines, so I had to rub off the excess... what a pain.

I hope these "water-based markers" are easier to line with. Where do I find them?

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I'm afraid I can't help you with this as I'm living in Asia and Gundam related stuff are quite easily available in my country. Maybe someone from the States can assist you? But a word of advice - don't use a permanent marker on your Gundam kits...especially the Master Grade and Perfect Grade ones!

The reason why a water-based marker or "Gundam markers" is recommended is because it allows you to wipe off the excess! Try to get a fine tipped one, too! :D 

11. Phy

News Credits:
    The Gundam markers are usually available in reputable model stores. If you don't have one near you, but you do have a hobby shop or art shop, Micron Pigma fine-tipped markers will also do nicely.

What I've been doing for the past few years is using pencil to line light-colored parts. It's more understated than most marker, and it shows up really well on hard plastics. Just file a mechanical pencil lead (even one of those cheap BiC pencils) to a sharp point and go nuts. If you've got any skill at painting, you might want to try a watercolor wash instead.

12. Emperor Mengde

I concur that those Micron pens are good, although the really fine tip ones do wear out pretty quickly. I've been wanting to try some more understated panel lining, but I really like the black line look, reminds me more of the animation I guess. Although, some kits just go too far with the panel lines, so I could definitely see doing a lighter gray color on one of those.

LigerPrime - yeah, whiter would have been nice, as well as a redder red and bluer blue, if that makes any sense. I guess I'll just have to stick with the PG Gundam I have now as the only RX-78-2 I have built (have the HGUC as well, just haven't built it yet). Oh, and good call on the 100th MG being the G-Armor and Gundam. I'd also venture it could be either a 2.0 Nu Gundam, or perhaps even a MG Guntank.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh man, you have no idea how long I've waited for a Guntank but I think Bandai would want to give a more memorable kit...if its a Nu Gundam or RC-78 with G-Armour, I will be equally pleased!

14. agravlin

Are there other MG's that are similarly-priced to the one I posted, but have more movable features (such as unfolding jetpacks and hidden weaponry and a better looking firearm), and a better underlying skeleton?

15. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

The one you're asking about (OYW Gundam, I think) has the standard Master Grade weaponry for the RX-78: rifle, shield, bazooka, Gundam hammer, beam sabers. You're not going to get much more out of that design.

That said, yeah. It depends on what Gundam you want, really. If you elaborate more, I should be able to assist more.

16. Emperor Mengde

You should really just poke around on the MG section of dalong.net...they show you all the weapons and gimmicks of each of the models, with plenty of pictures to boot.

17. Phy

News Credits:
    And then go price them out on HLJ or similar. Although I believe the OYW Gundam is one of the less expensive Master Grades.

18. agravlin

19. agravlin

Also, could someone explain what "runners" or "ABS runners" are?

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Well your first link doesn't work and your secondly link is ridiculously overpriced.

I assume Gundam Z means Zeta Gundam. There are two versions, the original MG Zeta Gundam released in 1994, and the MG Zeta version 2.0 released last December. Basically the first one pales in comparison to the version 2.0. Get the version 2.0, from what I hear it is a spectacular kit.

The old Zeta...
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN52673

And the new one...
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN939597

Runners are the pieces of plastic the model pieces are attached to and need to be cut from. ABS Runners is just used to describe the plastic type of the runners.