Gundam Model Haul

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Evan Goldsborough, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Gundam Model Haul (Full Reviews Up)

So yeah. I went and ordered some stuff tonight. Should be here within the week.

First off, I picked up a set of weathering paint markers and a fine-point black paint marker, for detailing. No point in posting pics of those...

These two were just to fool around with and practice my detailing techniques:

Char's Z'Gok
    [​IMG]

GM (which I still refer to as a "Jim")
    [​IMG]

And then this one: the Turn A Gundam.
    [​IMG]
    This is the one I'll be putting the most effort into: the practice I did on the others will hopefully be paying off here.

Now for the sucky part: the wait.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, I can't see the pictures of the stuff you bought? Are they HG or MG kits?

3. Evan Goldsborough

heh. knew I shouldn't had hotlinked em. gimme a minute...

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That Turn A isnt really that great. Mine has broken in many, many places.

5. Evan Goldsborough

Funny, I had heard very good things about it. Mind telling me where it's been breaking?

Even if it does, it was a $6 kit. Not too big of a loss.

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Doh, double post!

7. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    So, based off your sig, I take it these are MG models (the MG and the Z'Gok), right?

8. Evan Goldsborough

no, these are the 1/144 high grades. I'd be going for more complex designs if I wanted a master grade. not grunts at the very least.

the GM in the sig is one of Crazy Probe's models. found it on his website a few days ago and was inspired to make the sig.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool. I think the first one could make a really nice Unicron minion. With the right paint and labels from Reprolabels, that could be a pretty cool kitbash. I'll have to look into how to get one to do that with. Peace out.

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Actually, why don't you just pick up the MG versions? They're like the perfect renditions of the mechas.

Check out the Char's Z'gok and Acguy I got.

[​IMG]

11. Evan Goldsborough

TO LIGERPRIME: Why didn't I get the Master Grades? I'm short on both cash and space at the moment, so the high grades do fine. I don't much want to spend so much on mass-produced grunt units anyway (I'd get a MG Z'gok E, though), and besides, I like the anime-ish simplicity of the high-grades.

TO RAVENXL7: I see what you mean with the Z'gok, though it never came to mind before. In fact, most of the Zeon's amphibious MS designs would work well for that. Lemme give you a few more images (all HGUC)...

The mass-produced Z'gok
    [​IMG]

The Z'Gok Experimental type, as seen as Gundam 0080
    [​IMG]

The Gogg
    [​IMG]

The Hy-Gogg
    [​IMG]

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sweet. There could be different ranks with some of those. I'll have to look into getting some of these model kits. About how big are they, and how much do that usually cost? Thanks. Peace out.

13. Evan Goldsborough

TO RAVENXL7: It depends, really. The ones pictured are from the High Grade Universal Century series. they stand anywhere from five to six and a half or so inches high, and most run under $20. The basic Z'gok goes for under 10.

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com is where I bought mine from; they've got the best prices I've seen so far. try them out.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I get your point with regards to how close the HG kits look to their anime counterparts. I was very impressed when I picked up the HG Gundam and HG Char's Zaku II. However, since I've been collecting the MG versions, I won't be colecting the HG line so extensively...only buying the key mecha like more of Char's mecha. My next target will be his Gelgoog which recently appeared in one if my import stores.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My Turn A has broken in the following places:
    insides of both wrists where the hands snap in place
    triangles on front of gun
    tabs on the main chest plate that hold it to the body

16. Evan Goldsborough

Interesting. Were you using it solely as a display piece, or playing around with it a lot? Or was this during construction?

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Whoa, that's quite a number of breakages...I have only broke 3 of my kits. The first one was when I accidently knocked it off the table years ago, second breakage arose due to me twisting the joint wrongly and the third was during construction...I got careless and broke an antenna.

Other than that, my kits have been very durable...I fiddle with them alot, holding various weapons and posing them.

18. Evan Goldsborough

Well, they're in-hand at last. Went and built all three today.

Valkysas, I didn't have a single problem with the Turn A, aside from the eye stickers. The parts weren't all molded in the correct colors, unfortunately: I managed to paint the supposed-to-be-yellow sections metallic gold, and with it fully panel-lined, it honesly looks great. I swear, this thing had a ridiculous level of detail. Rather nice level of articulation as well. Well worth the price.

(4 of 5 because of the lack of correctly-colored parts.)

The Z'gok was bigger than I expected. Very well articulated, didn't have to do a bit of painting, and very little to panel-line as well. Wish I could move the mono-eye, though...

(4.5 of 5)

The GM (Jim) is also really nice. Good articulation level, but very simple visually. The gun is a bit wimpy as well, but it's not too bad.

(4.25 of 5)

I'll be posting pictures soon.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Here's some pictures of the HGs I built around a week ago...the point you made about how accurate they look to their anime counterparts is indeed true - I think I posted these pictures b4 though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Evan Goldsborough

I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the pictures. The JPEG compression did a number on some of them, but I wanted them to be dial-up friendly (me knowing how dial-up users feel. Grrr....).

All right, time for more in-depth reviews.

CHAR'S Z'GOK

[​IMG]

All right, first I'll get the bad points out of the way.

-You can't move the mono-eye. This is one suit where that would have REALLY helped.

[​IMG]

AND that's the only bad point. Really.

Good points:

-Mass. This thing is huge compared to my Gouf (closest to the Zaku I have). It's about the same height, but the design of the torso makes it look about twice as dangerous.
    -Limb Construction. They were a pain to build, but the arms and legs push the model up a few points. They consist of several plastic-on-plastic ball joints, which allow for five degrees of extra articualtion per joint. The basic effect is that of the hinge joints on the shoulders of the Zakus and Gundam.
    -Hands. Each claw is articulated via hinge joint, and can go from fully open to fully closed and anywhere in between. I was expecting several hands in different positions, so this was rather pleasant a surprise.

[​IMG]

Doin' a split.

[​IMG]

Doin' a kick.

The articulation on this thing is awesome. Ball joint in the chest (allows the "Head" a good amount of front-and-back and side-to-side tilt), it has a waist (allows for a decent amount of motion), limbs connected to the torso via ball joint (allows for the split you see there), fully articulate knee, elbow, and ankle joints, the independently-articulated claws....

[​IMG]

Breakin'.

FINAL VERDICT: 4.5 of 5

If the mono-eye moved and it had a little more waist movement, it'd be perfect. A is, it's well worth the low price.

Get one. Hell, get three, so Char has some back-up.

Not that he needs it, of course. ;)