Gundam model building Q's

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Master Megatron, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Well, with Animated coming up, I'll probably be entering a TF hiatus, and like to shift my focus to model building. The Gundam High grade sets look good, and I'd like to try some of those. What kind of spray paint do you use? Any special techniques? Which models should I get? I don't know much about building and painting Gundams, so tell me as much as you can.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The only painting I do is panel lines, and maybe some small details. Most higher grade gundam models look great with just panel lines.

3. Master Megatron

That's good. What markers are the best?

4. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

I used some 0.05mm pigment liner pen thing when I did one of my models a couple months ago, but I pressed down too hard and the pen broke before I finished it. :( 

You could just get a fine-tip Gundam marker (that's what it's called), black probably works most of the time.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't know, I can never find ones that are small enough. I just use regular paint pens, and clean up the lines afterwards.

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I use Ultra Fine Sharpies, then use an eraser to lightly go over the ink that's not in the panel lines

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With regards to the later HG kits (1/144), no painting necessary as they have the basic colours.

With regards to markers, I use the Gundam markers "water-based" markers to panel line them. I will post pictures of the markers I use when I return home from work.

As MegaMoonMan pointed out correctly - the higher the grade, the less painting is required. Nowadays, Bandai's intention is for their model kits to be handled and posed. For me, I collect the MG kits which are 1/100 in scale.

Check out the link below:

Its a Korean Website but the great thing about this site is:

www.dalong.net

i) completed kits are not painted just "panel-lined";

ii) the names of the kits are displayed in English

iii) the "later" the pictures are poster, the newer the kit. For example the Gelgoog version 2.0 is released later than the Zaku II version 2.0.

The later the release of a MG and HG kit the better it is in terms of design and articulation.
    Have fun!

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, he does do minor detail painting (for example, the Gaplant Hrairoo. Lots of painted yellow on that one). He just panel lines when he can get away with it, but when there's details like large vents or thrusters or other uncoloured markings that can't be done satisfactorily with the stickers provided, he'll paint those parts.

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oops, my bad. I should mean the MG kits...I forgot he did some paint touch-ups for some HG kits too.

I completely forgot about the minor paint jobs for the HGs because the latest ones came in their basic colours while the earlier ones like th GM required painting for the beam sabers.

Anyway, here are the tools I used for my modelling:

1. Cutter
    2. Gundam Water based markers (fine-tipped)
    3. Sandpaper (by Taimiya - grade 1000)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cynicist

Cynicist Give me the 'oop

The Gundam markers/paint pens are great, especially the ultra fine tips (GM01, 02, and 03). Just follow the panel line cracks, and wipe off the excess with a white eraser :D 

For painting I really like brush painting with taimya acrylics as opposed to the larger gundam markers, but that's just me

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You can get some fine /ultra fine tip paint markers at Walmart in the crafts section.

Their tips don't seem small enough IMO so an eraser may come in handy.

When they run out of ink they make nice paint 'dipping' brushes for painting/detailing those small areas

12. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

If you want modesl that you really need only to add panel lines to then go for the Master Grade kits. They're not that expensive, extremely satisfying and well engineered. They're not particularly hard to build either, just takes a while due to the number of parts involved.
    Great place to go to get a look at some finished and panel-lined up models is www.dalong.net , it's all in korean but the pictures speak for themselves.

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Usually I panel line with some Micron markers, which are the most common fine tip pens that you can find in hobby stores and other department stores. For paints, I rarely do anything other than the essential details that can't be molded, and usually use stuff like tamiya acryllic, which is the best acryllic paint i can think of for the cost. If you want to completely paint the kit, you should use something like a testors matte gray primer, but most gundam modelers urge builders to first wash the parts trees in some soap water to wash any remaining lubricant from the molding process before assembling the model kit. Of course, always stand by the sprue cutters and an exacto to shave off the flash.

14. Master Megatron

That's good that paint is hardly essential. Are there any kits I should get or avoid?

15. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
  16. Scourge_151

Definitely avoid the first Master Grade kit of the Zeta Gundam, they've recently re-engineered the kit to vastly improve the poseability and accuracy so if you like the mech be sure to look for the newer '2.0' version of it.
    Can't think of any others off the top of my head as that's the only disappointing one I've built, if you see one you like and want to check though just post about it here and someone'll be able to help you out!

As for ones to get the MG Strike Freedom is fantastic, really good to build and poses beautifully once done. Also comes with a display stand so you can pose it 'in flight'. It's all down to which suits you like the look of really though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  17. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

It wholly depends on which model mobile suits you enjoy, and the purpose you have for the kit. If you want fewer kits with tons of detail, I woud recommend the Master Grade series, because the 1/100th scale is easier to paint and assemble because of the size. Also, the MG line has kits from many of the Gundam continuities. However, if you are looking to start a huge collection at minimal cost and maximum quality, I highly recommend the High Grade Universal Century line. Although these kits are limited to the UC timeline and suit designs, and are smaller (1/144th scale) Many of the kits are well detailed, easy to paint, and overall, this line offers more variety than the MG line. I personally am a HGUC collector because of the price point and variation available, but what MG kits I have personally came into contact with are quite interesting and appear very worth the price.

18. Scourge_151

Very true, the HGUC kits are extremely detailed for their size and there is a great variety in the lineup.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, if you want to get MG kits...avoid the version 1.o and I agree, the HGUC or High Grade UC series kits are really good.

I can't remember if I posted this but check out www.dalong.net...the "later" the kit was released, the better in terms of design it is.